Vikings @ Panthers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Panthers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

Post by TSonn »

It is pretty pointless to debate AD vs McKinnon and will continue to be pointless. Even if our running game begins gaining more yardage the rest of the year, it is easy to point out that they aren't facing as many defenders in the box and that maybe the passing game is taking a hit. It's also probably not fair to compare the first 1.5 games with AD to the rest because our offensive line was blatant garbage. Let's just hope that everything improves - running, passing, and blocking (and playcalling) with the current guys out there. Let the coaches and GM make the decision on AD vs McKinnon next summer.
Craws84
Starter

Post by Craws84 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Let's all join the Panthers board and ask them their thoughts on the game :P
Right jordy;)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Nunin wrote:I'm not talking about gimmicky plays...I'm talking about not being predictable....or banging your head against a wall expecting different results.
I seem to remember this team blowing out the Giants late last season and many posters were giddy and humping each others legs. A few people warned that there were several wasted opportunites to work on things at game speed late in that game as well as some missed TD opportunities in that game, that could come back to bite them. Then the Seattle playoff game happened.
The defense is good. There are other great defenses out there too...and injuries can happen on defense just like offense.
I hope Turner isn't nearly as smug about it as some of the opinions expressed herein, just becuae they've eeked out 3 victories basically on the back of the defense.
i think its fair to say that Turner is of the old school. I recall his offenses in Dallas priding themselves on being both predictable and unstoppable.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Didn't say it wasn't relevant.
Got it. Somehow in your mind, it's relevant (ie: "closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand") but not constructive (ie: "serving a useful purpose"). That's not contradictory at all because appropriate observations never serve a useful purpose in a discussion, right? :roll:

Please, spare me the BS. I'm not in the mood...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TSonn wrote:It is pretty pointless to debate AD vs McKinnon and will continue to be pointless. Even if our running game begins gaining more yardage the rest of the year, it is easy to point out that they aren't facing as many defenders in the box and that maybe the passing game is taking a hit. It's also probably not fair to compare the first 1.5 games with AD to the rest because our offensive line was blatant garbage. Let's just hope that everything improves - running, passing, and blocking (and playcalling) with the current guys out there. Let the coaches and GM make the decision on AD vs McKinnon next summer.
:thumbsup:
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

IrishViking wrote:
hes also had 2 weeks with his starter, had a slew of injuries on Oline, and lost Peterson. I would say he is probably more relieved to have survived the typhoon of #### luck so far more than smug.
The smug comment was not directed toward Turner...
Like I said, if this offense isn't managing more than 1 real drive a game by week 6 and putting up some points, with all the opportnities this defense gives them, I will begin to curb my enthusiasm.
It's mostly on Turner IMO....and lol yeah, I'll bet he's relieved.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

TSonn wrote:It is pretty pointless to debate AD vs McKinnon and will continue to be pointless. Even if our running game begins gaining more yardage the rest of the year, it is easy to point out that they aren't facing as many defenders in the box and that maybe the passing game is taking a hit. It's also probably not fair to compare the first 1.5 games with AD to the rest because our offensive line was blatant garbage. Let's just hope that everything improves - running, passing, and blocking (and playcalling) with the current guys out there. Let the coaches and GM make the decision on AD vs McKinnon next summer.
Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
%Runs vs. loaded box
2012 Peterson - 14%
2013 Peterson - 20%
2014 McKinnon - 24%
2014 Asiata - 15%@HarrisonNFL @DailyNorseman

Of course now that Moth introduced confirmation bias into the board there will be no talking to anyone.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

IrishViking wrote: Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
%Runs vs. loaded box
2012 Peterson - 14%
2013 Peterson - 20%
2014 McKinnon - 24%
2014 Asiata - 15%@HarrisonNFL @DailyNorseman

Of course now that Moth introduced confirmation bias into the board there will be no talking to anyone.
Fascinating. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

TSonn wrote: Fascinating. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?!
Who cares. Let's get back to psychoanalyzing one another. It will undoubtedly end well.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

For anybody who doesn't think the Vikes are getting their due from the press:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/vi ... 4gm4n3jr7c
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Nunin wrote:I'm not talking about gimmicky plays...I'm talking about not being predictable....or banging your head against a wall expecting different results.
I seem to remember this team blowing out the Giants late last season and many posters were giddy and humping each others legs. A few people warned that there were several wasted opportunites to work on things at game speed late in that game as well as some missed TD opportunities in that game, that could come back to bite them. Then the Seattle playoff game happened.
The defense is good. There are other great defenses out there too...and injuries can happen on defense just like offense.
I hope Turner isn't nearly as smug about it as some of the opinions expressed herein, just becuae they've eeked out 3 victories basically on the back of the defense.
well said. the most frustrating for me is how he refuses to even attempt to work CPatt into the offense. he's just so stubborn.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

SP1966 wrote:For anybody who doesn't think the Vikes are getting their due from the press:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/vi ... 4gm4n3jr7c
Thanks for posting. This quote is why I love Harrison Smith:
"It's a good start. But it's only three games," Vikings All-Pro safety Harrison Smith said. "We've got to keep the foot on the pedal and not get complacent and say 'we're good now.' 
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

VikingPaul73 wrote:
he's just so stubborn.
It seems that way to me.
I wonder how many playoff victories he's been part of since that Cowboys team that had all those HoFers on offense? That he had little to no hand in drafting?
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i'm happy to be 3-0 as much as anyone, but 8 sacks and three int's can hide a lot of offensive deficiencies. anyone who thinks norv turner is a good offensive coordinator has to be insane. as someone noted, why isn't patterson even given a CHANCE? they start johnson who has done nothing all year and barely even throw to him either. the defense is the real deal and have been dating back to last year, but is anyone at all concerned about blair walsh biting us in the rear end again at some point this season? for a decent part of the second half all i could think about is, "we are ahead by 6 instead of 7 because of walsh." his confidence is clearly shaky at best, and anymore i change the channel when he kicks. i refuse to watch his mediocrity any longer. watching him kick feels like a coin flip and it makes me sick. why have freaking field goal kickers cost us two major playoff losses? as far as zimmer goes, there is no other coach i'd rather have and last year i said he was the best coach in football. many other people would reference belichick (and might be right), but give zimmer more time. what he has done in just over 2 seasons has been remarkable, and he's done it without any consistent offensive production. you put new england's line and trade it with our line it would be like night and day. the reason brady has been able to play this long is because he never gets hit, and neither do the back ups. if they can keep bradford upright, and change some of their passing philosophy, this team can go a long way.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mosscarter wrote:i'm happy to be 3-0 as much as anyone, but 8 sacks and three int's can hide a lot of offensive deficiencies. anyone who thinks norv turner is a good offensive coordinator has to be insane. as someone noted, why isn't patterson even given a CHANCE? they start johnson who has done nothing all year and barely even throw to him either. the defense is the real deal and have been dating back to last year, but is anyone at all concerned about blair walsh biting us in the rear end again at some point this season? for a decent part of the second half all i could think about is, "we are ahead by 6 instead of 7 because of walsh." his confidence is clearly shaky at best, and anymore i change the channel when he kicks. i refuse to watch his mediocrity any longer. watching him kick feels like a coin flip and it makes me sick. why have freaking field goal kickers cost us two major playoff losses? as far as zimmer goes, there is no other coach i'd rather have and last year i said he was the best coach in football. many other people would reference belichick (and might be right), but give zimmer more time. what he has done in just over 2 seasons has been remarkable, and he's done it without any consistent offensive production. you put new england's line and trade it with our line it would be like night and day. the reason brady has been able to play this long is because he never gets hit, and neither do the back ups. if they can keep bradford upright, and change some of their passing philosophy, this team can go a long way.
:appl: :appl:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018