Vikings @ Panthers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings @ Panthers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

Post by yezzir »

Good Morning and Skol!

Prediction: Vikings 27 Panthers 26

:v): :smilevike:

Minnesota Vikings vs Carolina Panthers: prediction, preview, pick to win
By The Sports Xchange

Minnesota Vikings (2-0) at Carolina Panthers (1-1)
KICKOFF: Sunday, 1 p.m. ET at Bank of America Stadium. TV: FOX, Chris Myers, Ronde Barber, Jennifer Hale.

SERIES HISTORY: 13th regular-season meeting. Vikings lead series, 7-5. Vikings are 1-2 at Carolina. They won there in 2011 when Christian Ponder led them to a 24-21 come-from-behind victory during his rookie season. The last time these teams met was Nov. 30, 2014 at TCF Bank Stadium, the Vikings' temporary home from 2014-15. In 12-degree weather - the seventh-coldest game in franchise history - the Vikings won 30-13 while becoming the fifth team in NFL history to return two blocked punts for touchdowns in the same game.

KEYS TO THE GAME: If there's a silver lining for the Vikings in the wake of RB Adrian Peterson's knee injury, it's that Minnesota has won its first two games with A.P. rushing for an average of 1.6 yards on 31 carries. The run-blocking has been abysmal as a whole, and shifty Jerick McKinnon (2.7 yards per carry) and bruising Matt Asiata (2.7) will now share the backfield load. QB Sam Bradford was impressive in his first start in a Vikings uniform last week despite often shaky protection. One dynamic McKinnon brings is a versatile threat out of the backfield, and Bradford has the ability to get the ball out of his hands quickly with possession receivers Adam Thielen and tight end Kyle Rudolph combining for 15 receptions.

The Panthers will have their own committee approach in the backfield with Jonathan Stewart sidelined by a hamstring injury. Fozzy Whittaker rushed for 100 yards in his place last week, but coach Ron Rivera indicated Cameron Artis-Payne is likely to be active and carry the bulk of the load, with Mike Tolbert serving as the short-yardage option. Of course, quarterback Cam Newton also figures heavily into the running game. The Vikings will continue to lean heavily on a defense that has playmakers at all three levels, with Minnesota ranking fifth in total defense and sixth against the run. Carolina racked up 46 points against San Francisco last week and has the ability to keep the pressure on in the running and passing games.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH:

--Vikings LT T.J. Clemmings vs. Panthers RDE Kony Ealy: Matt Kalil was placed on injured reserve after starting the first 66 games of his NFL career as Minnesota's left tackle. T.J. Clemmings, who started at right tackle last season, will take over on Bradford's blind side. Clemmings started all 17 games including the playoffs as a rookie, but struggled with speed rushers and stunts and was replaced on the right side by free-agent signee Andre Smith.

--Vikings S Harrison Smith vs. Panthers QB Cam Newton: Newton is averaging 5.4 yards per carry and his sheer size concerns the Vikings as much as his arm strength. Smith is Minnesota's most versatile defender and has the ability to play single-high safety or play in the box and rush off the edge. It will be a game of cat-and-mouse as Smith plays somewhat of a rover position.

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Panthers CB James Bradberry - Nominated for rookie of the week after a solid performance against the 49ers, Bradberry could see significant snaps against Stefon Diggs, who was named the NFC's Offensive Player of the Week.

FAST FACTS: Diggs has a league-high 285 receiving yards this season, the most by a Vikings player in the team's first two games since 1969. ... The Vikings have recovered an NFL-high four fumbles through two games. ... The Panthers have rushed for a league-high 17,954 yards since 2008, with the Vikings second at 17,341 during that time frame. ... Newton has thrown for a touchdown and run for a touchdown in an NFL-record 32 career games.

PREDICTION: Vikings coach Mike Zimmer did an excellent job in refocusing his team in the wake of Teddy Bridgewater's season-ending injury just before the beginning of the season, and Minnesota's defense has been instrumental in a 2-0 start. But losing RB Adrian Peterson and LT Matt Kalil while trying to compete with the reigning NFC champions on the road is too much to ask at this stage.
Last edited by yezzir on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Panthers Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

Post by halfgiz »

If these protestors are any good at blocking anything tomorrow, expect the Vikings to offer them a OL contract.
3:37 PM - 24 Sep 2016
:whistle:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Vikings Starter changes:

S. Stephen for S. Floyd
T. Waynes for X. Rhodes
M. Asiata for A. Peterson
T.J. Clemmings for M. Kalil
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Treadwell.
@mattvensel Full #Vikings inactives: WR Laquon Treadwell, RB Ronnie Hillman, LB Kentrell Brothers, C Nick Easton, DT Sharrif Floyd and TE MyCole Pruitt.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
cody_2664
Transition Player

Post by cody_2664 »

Treadwell inactive AGAIN

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Is this OUR year?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Treadwell.
@SuccessfulQuon 1h1 hour ago My faith bigger than any game..
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

cody_2664 wrote:Treadwell inactive AGAIN

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I think he was active last week but didn't see the field. Or only saw two snaps. Something like that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

OK Clemmings. Prove me wrong.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

On a side note, my wife is wearing a Carolina shirt because she loves Cam Newton if anyone wants to buy a slightly-used traitor.

I'm also looking to sell her ticket to the Lions game in November for this backstabbery.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Not that it matters but I'm getting the same feeling about this game as I did the first Seattle game last year. Really hope I'm wrong this time.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:On a side note, my wife is wearing a Carolina shirt because she loves Cam Newton if anyone wants to buy a slightly-used traitor.

I'm also looking to sell her ticket to the Lions game in November for this backstabbery.
:lol:
dead_poet wrote:Not that it matters but I'm getting the same feeling about this game as I did the first Seattle game last year. Really hope I'm wrong this time.
I hope so too but I have the same unsettling feeling. I don't like the matchups in this one but maybe the Vikes will surprise us with an impressive road win today.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

So, Rhodes isn't starting but he's available to play?
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

With out Adrian Peterson were done.

I think Cam Newton will show why he was the reigning National League Most Valuable Player of the year of 2015.

Panthers 27-Vikings10
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Nunin wrote:So, Rhodes isn't starting but he's available to play?
Yes. Guessing they're easing him back in.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

halfgiz wrote:If these protestors are any good at blocking anything tomorrow, expect the Vikings to offer them a OL contract.
3:37 PM - 24 Sep 2016
:whistle:
:point: :point: :point:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida