Thoughts Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts Week 2

Post by IrishViking »

Texas Vike wrote:Wasn't that play a slant?

One of Diggs' largest gains was a slant. I think SB throws them better than TB, he has a quicker release.

I think its close to wash. I think Bridgewater is quicker on his reads but Sam pulls the trigger faster when he decides.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

IrishViking wrote:

Idk, The Packers did a decent job of abusing the spy coverage. And cam makes Rodgers look like Locke...

I agree. While the D looked good in other areas, Rodgers was able to practically walk into the end zone during his TD run.

The spy coverage needs to get better against Cam or he'll have a big day running the ball.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

IrishViking wrote:
I think its close to wash. I think Bridgewater is quicker on his reads but Sam pulls the trigger faster when he decides.
Way to early to make that determination. Teddy had two plus years in the same offense so his decision making damn sure should be quicker than Sam after two weeks. Sam is making throws Teddy never did even with taking more time, as he gets more comfortable he should only get better.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

SP1966 wrote: Way to early to make that determination. Teddy had two plus years in the same offense so his decision making damn sure should be quicker than Sam after two weeks. Sam is making throws Teddy never did even with taking more time, as he gets more comfortable he should only get better.
I'll go along with that. We only got to see Bradford in one game so it's not a given, but for now it appears he is every bit as quick on his reads as Bridgewater is. Even if it's close between the two, give Bradford more time to gel with the offense and I'm sure he'll improve.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

IrishViking wrote:
Whether or not it was. I am shocked the defenders where even touching players given how much was called. The Refs made it very clear it was a focus all night.
Exactly. I could understand some outrage if this was the first PI call of the night and they were letting them be physical all game. But Waynes and Newman were tagged with like 4-5 PI calls so they HAD to call this one. No doubt about it.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Just realized I haven't yet posted mine. So here it is (since I know you're all dying to hear my thoughts!):

The Good
- Bradford, Diggs, passing game in general
- Defense seems to be legit. Already at 5 takeaways on the season
- Wow the new stadium is amazing
- The Vikings beat the Packers
- Vikings are at 2-0 (1-0 in division) and are atop the NFC North
- After two games the offense has 0 turnovers

The Bad
- Defense kept looking to scoop up fumbles and score instead of falling on them
- The offensive line was horrid, Bradford won't last all season behind them
- Peterson's injury, I think he has fallen off a step or two but it still sucks to see him get injured
- Rudolph can't seem to hang on to balls thrown his way
- Offense racked up a lot of yards, but only put up 17 points
- Vikings next game is @Carolina. That will be the toughest matchup they have this season.

The Ugly
- How many yards in penalties?!
- Aaron Rodgers, well anything related to the Packers in general
- Injured players have to exit right next to the fans, don't like that, seems like poor planning.
- Wow my fantasy team is crap. (Just a general week 2 note, not related to the Vikings per se)
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

A couple of things that stood out to me in last night's game:

- How much better are the Vikings when the QB is willing to throw it into the endzone? Neither of the TD passes were wide open, yet Bradford gave his receivers chances to make the play and came up golden. That is the type of throw we didn't see much of last year or in the first game this year, and both were huge to the outcome. Vikes do need guys other than Diggs and Rudolph to step up, though, especially if AD is out for an extended period of time.
- The offensive line really struggled both pass blocking and run blocking.
- Speaking of which, if they're going to call Waynes for holding like he was playing, how could they not call the Packer offensive line for holding? It was especially bad on Rodger's TD run where literally every Packer offensive lineman was hanging on for dear life as Rodger's squirted out of what remained of the pocket.
- Tre Waynes had a good game. And yeah, you read that right despite the PI calls and the announcers criticizing him. Waynes drew a lot of attention and was targeted by the Packers every chance they got and he held his own. Can he improve his play? Absolutely, but the guy was where he needed to be almost every time. If he can start getting his head around to track the ball a bit sooner he's going to be an INT machine. I'd like to get Rhodes back out there, but Waynes can get the job done.
- The Vikings have some *fast* linebackers. Did anyone else notice how often Rodgers looked completely flummoxed when he wanted to dump it off? Not only was the downfield coverage excellent, but the LBs were taking away a lot of the shorter stuff as well.
- I don't think I've seen a game in recent memory where the Vikings had so many chances to recover fumbles and/or make picks and blew it. The defense left some huge potential game-turners on the field with their inability to scoop and run and/or make the pick. They are playing outstanding, aggressive defense though, and I like what I see from this group so far this season. That defense is going to win a LOT of games for the team this year if they keep playing like they have so far.

Overall it was a solid performance minus the penalties and offensive line. Bradford is the real deal. As I said after the the trade, I think this move by Spielman is going to go down in history as one of his best. Sucks that AD got hurt but it's a chance for some of the other guys to step up and show what they can do. I'm not worried about the depth at RB. Vikes WR's also have a real chance to show something. Diggs is going to get the opposing defense's best, so time for someone else to step it up. I'd love to see that someone be Patterson, but Treadwell or maybe even Charles Johnson can do it.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Offensive line sucks.

Fusco gotten eaten alive and I'm very much at the tipping point of being fed up with Kalil. He gets his QB killed and just walks around like he's disinterested. I cannot stand that.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

From Reddit, titled "When you work with a Packers fan"

https://i.reddituploads.com/19194a9f31d ... c910968d65

My thoughts on week 2: This picture makes me smile, so week 2 was a success1

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Overall I was pretty disappointed in Newman. Does anybody think that he will play once Xavier comes back? I would also like to see them work Alexander into the mix.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:The good:

Sam Bradford!!! What a game he had!! He threw for two TDs, which I think Teddy only did once last season.
Stefon Diggs!!! Randy Moss part 2?
Zach Line... I am not a fan of his, but he really had a good game. His blitz pickup won the game on the PI call to Diggs.
Trae Waynes... Almost went into the "bad" category. But he is always right next to the WR, and that is nice to see.

The bad:
Penalties. See, Trae Waynes...
The OL... O..M..F..G..

The ulgy:
The OL... O...M...F...G...
Quoted for truth.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Man what a game. Feels good to beat Green Bay at home for once.

I am not gonna too much other than I am extremely disappointed in the offensive line. Fusco, Smith, and Boone got handled all night. It is really saddening to see that this unit is still bad.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Just showing some of the class of some Packers fans there were two girls sitting a couple rows behind me. Adrian Peterson didn't get up he was hurt and these two girls started screaming go pack go. Vikings fans and Packer fans we're both telling them to shut up it's not appropriate to do that when somebody is injured. He pretty much told us all to shove it and kept screaming go pack go. Classy
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I just rewatched the game on TV and the last play the game when Bradford threw it out of bounds if he just throws it to Diggs he is wide open the Packers weren't even playing defense would have been like a 50-yard touchdown. That would have been awesome
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Overall I was pretty disappointed in Newman. Does anybody think that he will play once Xavier comes back? I would also like to see them work Alexander into the mix.
Really? You think Newman did a worse job then Waynes? Waynes had a key INT, but the kid has no idea how to turn his head when the ball is coming. And I'd bet a lot of money hes going to be the main target of QBs when hes on the field.