Thoughts Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts Week 2

Post by mosscarter »

what may just as big of a problem with our line could be similar to our receivers. patterson was thrown to once week one and made a great catch. why are they not putting him in the lineup? and as far as treadwell is concerned i'm not sure what to think. i've read several articles that say he isn't even close to being ready and he is our first round pick. diggs looked super human, but its tough for anyone if they face double teams. i'm not overly concerned about the run game because peterson was doing absolutely nothing prior to getting hurt.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

TSonn wrote: Yeah I think Treadwell or Patterson need some of his snaps. Dude just struggles to get separation right now. Maybe he's still not 100%? Actually, now that I think about it... didn't Diggs first see playing time week 3 last year and get in the starting line-up a couple weeks after that? Maybe Treadwell is on that same path, I'd be OK with Treadwell having a similar impact to Diggs! It's still weird that our two WRs taken in the first round rarely see the field while guys drafted in the 5th, 7th, and undrafted are getting the start.
I will tell you one thing about Sam, he'll say all the right things but if he doesn't trust a guy or if the tape tells him (Johnson) a guy rarely gets separation he will rarely look that way in games unless forced.

I expect Rudolph to have some big games soon though, he just was not used to Sam's throws Monday night as you could see balls getting on top of him before he thought possible.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

RFIP wrote: I will tell you one thing about Sam, he'll say all the right things but if he doesn't trust a guy or if the tape tells him (Johnson) a guy rarely gets separation he will rarely look that way in games unless forced.

I expect Rudolph to have some big games soon though, he just was not used to Sam's throws Monday night as you could see balls getting on top of him before he thought possible.

Rudolph didn't get his head turned in time to catch one of Hill's passes in week 1 either. IRRC, Johnson had the same problem on one play.

Maybe these receivers are used to a QB who holds the ball longer... :whistle:
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:Rudolph didn't get his head turned in time to catch one of Hill's passes in week 1 either. IRRC, Johnson had the same problem on one play.

Maybe these receivers are used to a QB who holds the ball longer... :whistle:

Thats exactly what I said when I was watching the game. "Rudolph is used to having an extra half second to get turned around there" :tongue:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:
Thats exactly what I said when I was watching the game. "Rudolph is used to having an extra half second to get turned around there" :tongue:
:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote: You focused on entirely different aspects of Rosenthal's comments than those that prompted me to post them but I hear where you're coming from. :)
I think a lot of the sports press just mails it in. It just made sense that Rogers would win the title to them, since GB has had the best passing game. Last year AROG was not nearly what he has been in prior seasons and they blame it all on Jordy Nelson being injured. I think the Nelson thing is ridiculous. (BTW, how did that work out on Sunday?) I've yet to hear a coherent and reasonable explanation for Roger's decline from anyone. We've watched Rogers throw guys open in ways that no one else in the league could even touch in past seasons. In 2015 he wasn't that guy and no one has adequately explained why. My guess is that his game relies on a great deal of physical talent and that maybe at age 32, he is seeing some of his athletic talent diminish? His numbers over the past 8 regular season games have been rather pedestrian. If I were a Packer Fan I'd be nervous.

I think we are going to continue to be under valued at least through the first 6-8 weeks of the season because the Vikings do not fit the narrative. We have injuries, iffy passing game, and the guy most believe is our best offensive player is injured. We play strong defense, but we are not card carrying member of the cult of the QB. This is why I asked the question a few weeks ago why so many were ready to crown GB/PIT as the SB favorites. Especially given recent history. Basically the media was deciding that the passing teams would be the kings. They weren't last year, but this year would be different, right?

I'm sure some will say this is kool-aid, but right now, week 2, we have a defense that is top 3 in the NFC, maybe the entire NFL, but still have to prove it. We have a potentially ascendant passing game. We've got problems for sure, but this is easily a playoff team and likely a deep playoff team. We should be excited. This team has a chance to be special. There are still 14 games to play and a lot can change, but right now we have every reason to have high expectations.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Iffy passing game? We just had a guy playing that had 1 freaking week to give him time. The blame goes on Norv, he might have to stsy up after his Gerital moment, and get some plays to fit sam (and now Asiata and McKinnon). Other teams have done it with new QG, we aernt stupid, why gant we. Let Zimmer knaw on his femar for a while to show he is serious. We gave up a #### ton of picks (unless we are going to let Rick pick a WR first again. GET us some Oline and we are one our way ro startdom!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Sam Bradford did a great job throwing the ball, but he needs to do a much better job stepping up ala Shaun Hill the week before or he's going to get killed. He needs to get in sync with the way this line is playing pass pro. In relative terms, the pass protection was really good against GB. At least the line has shown marked improvement in one area...even though they still stink at run blocking.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Sam Bradford did a great job throwing the ball, but he needs to do a much better job stepping up ala Shaun Hill the week before or he's going to get killed. He needs to get in sync with the way this line is playing pass pro. In relative terms, the pass protection was really good against GB.
:shock: We clear watched different games.