Will Trae Waynes win the starting CB job?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Will Trae Waynes win the starting CB job?

Post by 720pete »

Haven't seen much discussion about Trae Waynes on here. He didn't play much last season. Will he win the week 1 starting CB job? Is he still a good pick? Hard to see a first round pick coming in and not making an immediate impact this day in age.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Will Trae Waynes win the starting CB job?

Post by halfgiz »

Wayne's has been making progress. With the injuries to Rhodes & Newman he has seen a lot of preseason playing time.
The Chargers should be a good test for him.
I don't know if he will win a starting job, but he should see a lot of playing time this year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

No, not week 1 unless Newman is hurt.

Cold is temporary. Purple Pride is forever.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

from what I have seen age is catching up with Newman....he looked slow in the first two pre season games, but that could be
a veteran not really pushing for a non factor game.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:from what I have seen age is catching up with Newman....he looked slow in the first two pre season games, but that could be
He's been dealing with an undisclosed injury. When he was back practicing he was with the 1s.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: He's been dealing with an undisclosed injury. When he was back practicing he was with the 1s.

I think at this point in Zimmer's tenure we know that to call an injury "undisclosed" is almost redundant.

It's gotten to the point that one wonders if there's anyone who ISN'T playing with an injury.

As for the OP: it's a worthwhile topic. He's undoubtedly shown improvement in this season's preseason games and reportedly in camp too. I would guess that at some point this year he'll be starting, but if everyone's healthy I suspect that Newman would still get the nod ahead of Tre. That does surprise me a bit, but it's a position that I have a lot of faith in Zimmer's judgement; now the OL, OTOH, I'm not feeling like Zim has a master plan/ a vision that will lead to success.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

FWIW, I think he's on the cusp but I think IF Newman is healthy he'll be the starter. I expect Waynes to play (even start) a good deal this year, though.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

jackal wrote:from what I have seen age is catching up with Newman....he looked slow in the first two pre season games, but that could be
Newman was dealing with a tweaked ankle. So that could have been slowing him down.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont think he is close yet to a starting game. Wouldnt surprise me to see Alexander first. Wayne was a bad pick, imho, at the time. if he was a 2, or 3rd, he might be ok, but as our first pick, yuk. I sure hope Zim can make something with him. I dont like the way he tackles either, or how they have him play the run.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I dont think he is close yet to a starting game. Wouldnt surprise me to see Alexander first. Wayne was a bad pick, imho, at the time. if he was a 2, or 3rd, he might be ok, but as our first pick, yuk. I sure hope Zim can make something with him. I dont like the way he tackles either, or how they have him play the run.
Well with how he played today, it sure doesnt sound anything like your assessment. No less he was guarding Allen a good chunk of the time. And you'll see Alexander in the slot before anything IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Waynes looked good yesterday, I thought. It would be great if both him and Rhodes panned out.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Rhodes hasn't panned out?

I wouldn't be too surprised if they are holding Newman back some. At his age they know what he is capable of, no reason to run him ragged in preseason games. I think Waynes is the heir apparent and he is likely to be starting before this season is over. That pick by 22 was set up by his tip of the pass if I am not mistaken?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

No, Rhodes looks good. It'd just be great if Waynes did as well. That's probably how I should have phrased it.

Sent using tapatalk. Typos should be expected.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Cliff wrote:Waynes looked good yesterday, I thought. It would be great if both him and Rhodes panned out.
I thought Waynes looked great in coverage yesterday. Just got back from Minneapolis and enjoyed the first game at our "new house". Loved the "open feel" of US Bank stadium. Was 5 rows up from the field (corner end zone) and got a good picture of Rudolph's TD. Highly recommend the new venue for those who are thinking about going.

Back on topic (sort of). When Waynes got flagged for the unnecessary roughness, I was livid! The ball carrier was not down (and in fact wasn't down until the "body slam" was made). I'm sure I'm just not understanding the rule, or something, but can anyone explain to me what a defender is supposed to do? (Ask the offensive player to "pretty please" take a knee?) All facetiousness aside, is that type of tackle just a no-no (like a horse collar) or did the official just over-react to a hard tackle? (sincere question).
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Just Me wrote: I thought Waynes looked great in coverage yesterday. Just got back from Minneapolis and enjoyed the first game at our "new house". Loved the "open feel" of US Bank stadium. Was 5 rows up from the field (corner end zone) and got a good picture of Rudolph's TD. Highly recommend the new venue for those who are thinking about going.

Back on topic (sort of). When Waynes got flagged for the unnecessary roughness, I was livid! The ball carrier was not down (and in fact wasn't down until the "body slam" was made). I'm sure I'm just not understanding the rule, or something, but can anyone explain to me what a defender is supposed to do? (Ask the offensive player to "pretty please" take a knee?) All facetiousness aside, is that type of tackle just a no-no (like a horse collar) or did the official just over-react to a hard tackle? (sincere question).
I want to know why there was a flag too. I am curious.

Cold is temporary. Purple Pride is forever.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018