Can Cordarrelle Patterson save his career with the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Can Cordarrelle Patterson save his career with the Vikin

Post by jackal »

Honestly I would prefer not to have players that sandbag or don't work on our team...

who is to say if the vikings give him another deal he doesn't go back too talented

guy who goes through motions and does the minimum required?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

jackal wrote:Honestly I would prefer not to have players that sandbag or don't work on our team...

who is to say if the vikings give him another deal he doesn't go back too talented

guy who goes through motions and does the minimum required?
What? Who are you talking about?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Is it supposed to be "himself"? I reread the post like 5 times before I figured it was an autocorrect.
I still don't totally believe in Ginseng, so I think it should be proven, anyway.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cordarrelle Patterson in Running for U.S. Bank Stadium's Opening Kickoff, Larger Offensive Role?
Zimmer said this week that Patterson “has been good with his routes” and supplementing his talent with a focused approach.

“Sometimes when it comes easy when you’re young, then you maybe take some of these things for granted,” Zimmer said. “I think he has done a much better job of being disciplined, working hard, those kinds of things.”

Vikings receivers coach George Stewart the way Patterson has returned after being sidelined is a continuation of the work he put in this offseason.

“That’s a testament to his growth as a player in the last three years he’s been here,” Stewart said. “He obviously knows with missed time, you have to come back and be ready to perform. He stayed in it mentally and did a great job of perfecting his craft. He didn’t miss a beat.”
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

It's sounding better and better for Patterson. The Vikings need to get him involved with the offense.

Who knows? Given what we've heard about the hard work from Patterson, Treadwell, Diggs and Johnson during preseason, maybe this year's WR corps will be filled with talent. Sounds to me as if Bridgewater will have plenty of targets this upcoming season.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

losperros wrote:It's sounding better and better for Patterson. The Vikings need to get him involved with the offense.

Who knows? Given what we've heard about the hard work from Patterson, Treadwell, Diggs and Johnson during preseason, maybe this year's WR corps will be filled with talent. Sounds to me as if Bridgewater will have plenty of targets this upcoming season.
It seems like I've been getting my hopes up that we'll have good receivers every year. I'll believe it when I see it this time.

I think the praise from Zimmer is worth more than most coaches. He didn't shy away from calling Patterson out when he perceived him as not progressing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: It seems like I've been getting my hopes up that we'll have good receivers every year. I'll believe it when I see it this time.

I think the praise from Zimmer is worth more than most coaches. He didn't shy away from calling Patterson out when he perceived him as not progressing.
True but he also praised him last summer and we saw where that led during the season.

I hear you regarding the WR corps too.

To Craig's point: there IS a lot of talent there. It should be an effective, productive unit.

I read this morning that they might consider using Patterson as a punt returner if a situation merits it. That reminded me of the days when they would occasionally put Anthony Carter back there. He was a dangerous return man!

I sure hope Patterson gets a serious chance to contribute to the offense this season.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
I read this morning that they might consider using Patterson as a punt returner if a station merits it. That reminded me of the days when they would occasionally put Anthony Carter back there. He was a dangerous return man!

I sure hope Patterson gets a serious chance to contribute to the offense this season.

You meant situation (not station), right?

I would have to say, "why NOT?" At this point, unless he makes the cut as a starting WR, we ought to use him in ANY situation that permits him to use his talents. The guy poses a threat to score any time the ball's in his hands.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:You meant situation (not station), right?
Right.

#@%$* auto-correct is a curse upon us all.
I would have to say, "why NOT?" At this point, unless he makes the cut as a starting WR, we ought to use him in ANY situation that permits him to use his talents. The guy poses a threat to score any time the ball's in his hands.
It makes sense to me!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think the answer to the OP question is yes, although I'm not sure to what extent.

To me the more interesting question is what happens in Free Agency. Let's say he has another year like the past two, then I think he hits the open market and leaves to try his luck somewhere else, possibly landing in Oakland with Musgrave.

If he experiences some kind of resurgence then I think the Vikes are in an interesting situation. They'll need to pay him some bucks to stay. Even then he might take a high ball offer from another team. It might be that even if they want him a team with a more high flying GM might make some obnoxious offer to him and we'll be bid out of competition. Look at the contract Garcon got a few years back or even the one we gave Greg Jennings.

I hope he is successful and hope that if he is, he stays in purple, but I can see a likely scenario where he leaves the squad if he has success.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I think the answer to the OP question is yes, although I'm not sure to what extent.

To me the more interesting question is what happens in Free Agency. Let's say he has another year like the past two, then I think he hits the open market and leaves to try his luck somewhere else, possibly landing in Oakland with Musgrave.

If he experiences some kind of resurgence then I think the Vikes are in an interesting situation. They'll need to pay him some bucks to stay. Even then he might take a high ball offer from another team. It might be that even if they want him a team with a more high flying GM might make some obnoxious offer to him and we'll be bid out of competition. Look at the contract Garcon got a few years back or even the one we gave Greg Jennings.

I hope he is successful and hope that if he is, he stays in purple, but I can see a likely scenario where he leaves the squad if he has success.

Good points. Maybe he'll be gone either way.

Barring injuries, I doubt he'll get a chance to do much more than contribute in a few sub-packages on offense this year so I don't expect a huge surge in his offensive productivity.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Early on I agree, but I think overall it is going to be boom or bust. As you have said many times, physically he is the most gifted athlete on the offense outside of #28. If he starts putting things together it will be hard to NOT have him on the field since he is threat to score anytime he gets the ball in his hands given what he can as a runner. He'll easily surpass everyone on the roster at WR if he can demonstrate competency in the mental aspects of his game that have been lacking. That isn't a knock on the other guys so much as a compliment to the awesome athletic talent that #84 possesses.

If he doesn't shore up the mental stuff then it will be more of the same and we'll see him on special teams only.

I hope he puts it together. I'd love to see what he could do 2-3 years from now assuming he gets the route stuff figured out and starts figuring out how to use his body to create separation. He is so physically gifted he could probably juke a CB out of position and then run free in the right situation. One can dream...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Early on I agree, but I think overall it is going to be boom or bust. As you have said many times, physically he is the most gifted athlete on the offense outside of #28. If he starts putting things together it will be hard to NOT have him on the field since he is threat to score anytime he gets the ball in his hands given what he can as a runner. He'll easily surpass everyone on the roster at WR if he can demonstrate competency in the mental aspects of his game that have been lacking. That isn't a knock on the other guys so much as a compliment to the awesome athletic talent that #84 possesses.

If he doesn't shore up the mental stuff then it will be more of the same and we'll see him on special teams only.
After what happened last year, I'm not convinced he'll ever get that kind of opportunity with this coaching staff but time will tell.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: After what happened last year, I'm not convinced he'll ever get that kind of opportunity with this coaching staff but time will tell.
Agreed, Jim.

Cold is temporary. Purple Pride is forever.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

No. :)
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.