2016 Vikings Training Camp

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 Vikings Training Camp

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings will head into Friday preseason game without three injured starters in Floyd Newman Kendricks
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rhett Ellison is looking good doing sprints he is getting closer to coming back from knee injury
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
I like the sound of that!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am not worried about preseason games at all...I want the team healthy for the regular season. I'm guessing most of the roster on our team is set...I would think giVing the 15 to 20 guys who are fighting for a roster spot or practice squad spot should be our focus in the preseason
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

jackal wrote:I am not worried about preseason games at all...I want the team healthy for the regular season. I'm guessing most of the roster on our team is set...I would think giVing the 15 to 20 guys who are fighting for a roster spot or practice squad spot should be our focus in the preseason
I'd like to see the O-line be given significant time. With the shortened camp/pad sessions, the more time to gel the better.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote:

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingESPN
1h
Vikings have gone into lockdown mode on injury info. Tough to cover injuries accurately when that happens. twitter.com/thewellter/sta…

Vikings start workouts in Cincinnati without 10 players
CINCINNATI — The Vikings began workouts Wednesday morning without 10 players on the 90-man roster. Most of those players are injured and will remain in Minnesota. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer sa…
Pioneer Press @PioneerPress
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

I'm not sure if this has been posted before.

Here's a great read on training camp takeways.

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2016/08/ ... s.html?m=1
After watching 19 training camp practices during Vikings training camp, I had several takeaways from a variety of position groups. My overall impression: the Vikings have insane depth. In the 14 years I have traveled to Mankato for training camp practices, this is the most complete team I have ever seen. Whether it is young talent, playmakers, or the coaching staff, the Vikings have it all. They are building a debilitating defense and their offense is finding an identity with young quarterback Teddy Bridgewater at the helm. Stefon Diggs has taken another step, Laquon Treadwell is developing, Adrian Peterson looks ferocious, and Jerick McKinnon is an athletic freak. The major key to offensive success will start with the protection up front. If Teddy Bridgewater has a clean pocket and can comfortably find his targets up the field, the offense has the chance to be very good. After 19 practices, I'm more confident that can happen. With the talented defense the Vikings have, the offense doesn't need to be top-5, but they must at least become a middle of the road operation. If they can do that, some major success could be on the horizon for the Minnesota Vikings.
Bridgewater has a better deep ball
Entering training camp, many fans and analysts were concerned about Teddy Bridgewater's inconsistent throws up the field. Throughout camp, Bridgewater was tested on deep vertical passes. For the most part, Bridgewater passed the exam. There were only a few deep throws he didn't complete, which is excellent considering how much he was tested.
The tight end room is loaded
The defensive line depth is impressive
More at the link. :thumbsup:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

A.D_blazing wrote:My overall impression: the Vikings have insane depth.
This was my biggest takeaway. So many on here have criticized Spielman for not bringing in quality depth. I said back in 2012 that a complete rebuild doesnt just happen in a year or even a few years for that matter. You have to build your starting core and the depth comes along with it. Since 2012 we've had to replace a lot of positions on all sides of the ball. It has happened and the quality of talent that Spielman has brought in is starting to show. This is why I've always been a big Spielman supporter. When he took over the reigns as GM in 2012, I've loved the way he has drafted and approached free agency. Has he hit on every pick and signing? No but there isn't a single GM in this league that does or even comes close. People can say what they want about Rick Spielman but he is a huge reason why the Vikings are where they are now.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

not much here.
Minnesota Vikings Seemingly Do Well in Joint Practices With Cincinnati Bengals
Despite the Bengals playing as one of the top teams in the NFL last year, with a 12-4 record and ranking fourth in total point differential, the Vikings seemingly looked like the better team.

some other stuff
Peter King
‏@SI_PeterKing
CINCINNATI-Bridgewater put on show today in joint Min-Cin practice. Weather? As Cosmo Kramer would have said: “It’s like a sauna out there."
Jim Owczarski
‏@JimOwczarski
Both #Bengals offensive units struggled vs #Vikings front 7. Only 2 pass attempts got off & only completed was a McCarron swing to Alford.

Highlights: Wednesday's Practice With The Bengals
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Holy crap.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Think about how great our defense will be if we can effectively move the ball
all game. Your talking about 7 to 10 minutes rest with TV timeouts ..instead of 2,4 minutes especially with the three and outs...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Good to hear, but, it is one practice.

Moreover, it is still training camp. The team hasn't played a single preseason game yet - and it is debatable how much those games actually matter.

I believe the team is very talented and appears ready for the next step. I am optimistic. However, having experience around the football dynamic for years, I know better than to make snap decisions based off of practices, scrimmages, workouts, etc.

Trying to discern the success of the 2016 Minnesota Vikings based off training camp reports is an exercise in futility.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Good to hear, but, it is one practice.

Moreover, it is still training camp. The team hasn't played a single preseason game yet - and it is debatable how much those games actually matter.

I believe the team is very talented and appears ready for the next step. I am optimistic. However, having experience around the football dynamic for years, I know better than to make snap decisions based off of practices, scrimmages, workouts, etc.

Trying to discern the success of the 2016 Minnesota Vikings based off training camp reports is an exercise in futility.

Well said. Training camp, and even preseason, is a far cry from regular season football. Regarding the team's "insane depth": it's terrific in some areas but it still doesn't yield confidence along the OL, where having a lot of players/competition doesn't necessarily equate to good depth. The depth chart at QB is positively scary, in my opinion. I'm still not convinced they have more than one good starting safety either.

Time will tell.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: Holy crap.
Not take away from the defensive performance, but the Bengals have a history of playoff disasters on Offense. When they get up against a playoff defense they struggle. Biggest take away is we have a playoff defense, but that isn't really news.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Doesn't look like Brandon Fusco is practicing today. No helmet in sight.

Joe Berger at right guard for Fusco.

Safety Anthony Harris sitting out today pic.twitter.com/eMmuz1zLil