5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

germannorseman
Backup

Re: 5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterso

Post by germannorseman »

Mothman wrote: Maybe if there was a viable option behind him... ;)

Seriously, I know what you're saying, Cliff, but then I look at how many games Sendejo, Clemmings and Fusco started last year and I can't help asking if doing the job is really the top priority. Clemmings, in particular, did a terrible job all season and if I'm not mistaken, he still started every game.
I don't know that there were was,much,of an option but to use those guys. Zim was obviously not happy about their output either, but he didn't have much choice except to put up with it. With Patterson at least he had some better options.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
S197
Fenrir

Re: 5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterso

Post by S197 »

losperros wrote: That's part of the double standard Jim, several others and myself have been questioning. It doesn't make sense. Patterson has a rookie year where he shows how explosive he is when he touches the ball and now he can't get on the field? The Vikings field an abysmal passing game last season and an offense that settled for field goals too often and Patterson couldn't have been any help?

Trust me, you're not the only one who isn't buying into this bizarre dynamic. As a fan, after watching Patterson's success with Frazier and Musgrave, I'm in no mood to give Zimmer and Turner a complete pass here. Anything having to do with Patterson not being able to run routes, catch the ball, or make big plays means his rookie season never happened.
Exactly. If a player has proven to be an explosive weapon, then he shouldn't be on the bench. So what's the deal? The only excuse I've heard or read that seems remotely logical is Patterson doesn't fit into Zimmer/Turner's offensive system and philosophy. Zimmer is a brilliant defensive coach and a smart disciplinarian but if the offensive philosophy doesn't include a guy like Patterson, then I wonder if Bridgewater's conservative playing last season really was all on Teddy. Maybe he was coached to be cautious to a fault. Just guessing here (as we all are).
Well, we make jokes about stuff like the Jugs machine but there has been people who have noticed and wrote articles/blogs all the way back starting in camp that Patterson doesn't seem to put in as much time as he should. He also chose not to workout with who the coaches suggested and rather went with his own trainer. You can tell by his personality that he's rather eccentric for lack of a better word. You're right we're all just guessing here so I'm not trying to imply that Patterson doesn't work hard or anything but there is some evidence out there that he may not be putting in the work and/or not putting in the work that the coaches want. Patterson marching to the beat of his own drum is certainly a plausible explanation to me and one that perhaps put him in the doghouse.

Conversely, I think he is the type of talent where you do manufacture touches to a certain degree especially when your offense is struggling. So in that respect, it's a bit of a head scratcher that they didn't design at least a few gadget plays for him. But ultimately, a 1st round receiver has to be more than a gadget and I don't know that CP has proven he can be more than that.