Vikings draft S Jayron Kearse

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings draft S Jayron Kearse

Post by dead_poet »

Odds are that Kearse will test well and with his length and ability, he very well may go much higher than the grade I have on him. To play safety, there needs to be a sense of urgency and consistency because that position is the last line of defense and Kearse doesnt show those traits nearly enough at this time. If the light comes on and he gets more dog in him, then we are talking about a substantially better NFL player.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/2 ... 01b91c4040
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
cmoss84
Veteran

Re: Vikings draft S Jayron Kearse

Post by cmoss84 »

I know nothing about this guy. I've heard some of you excited about this pick and some of you not so much. Any details you guys can share? Does he hit like Jevon Kearse? Didn't he earn 2nd team all-American?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

cmoss84 wrote:I know nothing about this guy. I've heard some of you excited about this pick and some of you not so much. Any details you guys can share? Does he hit like Jevon Kearse? Didn't he earn 2nd team all-American?
I know he's long, inconsistent, and good friends with Sammy Watkins.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Like this pick a lot. Good bloodlines and size I could see him being a starter for sure.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Looking at our safeties, it wouldnt surprise me to see Kearse get some playing time. Big dude can hit.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Nfl.com scouting report says he's lazy on the field. Hopefully Zimmer can light a fire and get him going because physically he should be good other than being tight hipped.
mael·strom

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

A pick like this is high risk / high reward. Attitude change is very hard to accomplish. I hope he can turn it on under Zimmer, but if not don't be surprised. The likely outcome is he never plays a down. Let us all hope he is a pleasant surprise.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

When you get the 6th and 7th round, high reward players are probably the best bet. The other route to go is high production guys who don't have the measurables (matakevitch? wright?). The third option is poor production guys with poor measurables! :lol:

Obviously the Vikings under Zimmer are looking for HT/WT/SPD guys, especially early and late in drafts. Who knows, maybe Kearse pans out.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Wright was 4th rounder I believe. But i think we agree. You want to see your GM hit on these guys, but odds are highly in favor of them not seeing much playing time. Here is to beating the odds and finding diamonds in the rough.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote:Wright was 4th rounder I believe. But i think we agree. You want to see your GM hit on these guys, but odds are highly in favor of them not seeing much playing time. Here is to beating the odds and finding diamonds in the rough.
I meant Scooby Wright, who was drafted in the 7th (I believe) despite some really good production. :wink:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Maelstrom88 wrote:Nfl.com scouting report says he's lazy on the field. Hopefully Zimmer can light a fire and get him going because physically he should be good other than being tight hipped.
Doesn't sound like a Zim guy, does he? Lazy on the field? I give it about five seconds if dude displays that kind of trait. He won't be long for the NFL either.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Doesn't sound like a Zim guy, does he? Lazy on the field? I give it about five seconds if dude displays that kind of trait. He won't be long for the NFL either.
Well, he has a chance to make an impact if only because he plays one of the weakest positions on the team. It would be great to get even a slight upgrade over Sendejo as a starter in the 7th round. :confused:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

fiestavike wrote: Well, he has a chance to make an impact if only because he plays one of the weakest positions on the team. It would be great to get even a slight upgrade over Sendejo as a starter in the 7th round. :confused:
I agree. It has been a chore to find a partner for Smith.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/dr ... rse-050516
"A total of 31 teams passed on me. The Vikings are the lucky ones," Kearse told South Carolina's Independent Mail. "I'm going to make everyone else pay."
For his part, general manager Rick Spielman is eager to put Kearse in the hands of head coach and defensive guru Mike Zimmer.

"I know Zimmer really likes to work with those tall, long guys back on the backend as a safety and feels that he also has a lot of tools and athletic skills to work with," Spielman said.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Love those quotes. I think he might be a steal for us.
mael·strom