Vikings draft S Jayron Kearse

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Vikings draft S Jayron Kearse

Post by jackal »

I agree. It has been a chore to find a partner for Smith.
I think Harris has the been the most effective partner so far, but Zimmer does not seem to think so.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote: I think Harris has the been the most effective partner so far, but Zimmer does not seem to think so.
Harris didn't look bad. I think they just want a guy with the physical traits to open up more possibilities.

If there are two players who perform about equally, but one is 6'0 180 and the other is 6'4 220 and long arms, you've got so much more flexibility with the second guy.

As to why Sendejo got the nod over Harris, its hard to say for sure. Sendejo has the edge in physicallity, but he blows tackles with his 18 inch arms. Harris got blocked too easily at times, but seemed better in coverage as far as one could tell on the TV broadcast. Neither one is probably the answer in 2017, but it sure would be great to identify whoever that IS going to be THIS YEAR. I won't be surprised if that is Kearse, which would prove to be a great value in the 7th round.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I agree with the assessment that he has the most opportunity given the weakness of the position. My guess is the mental aspects of the game is major limiting factoor for all the players on the roster. If a S makes a blunder it can easily lead to a TD. Therefore it is harder to take a chance on a player at this position and we might see subpar athletic talent on the field more in a trade for less risk of the big play.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
sonicology
Backup

Post by sonicology »

Maelstrom88 wrote:Love those quotes. I think he might be a steal for us.
Problem is that it's easy to be fired up right after the draft when he's fallen to the tail end of the 7th and is feeling angry and a little embarrassed, what I want to know is will he still feel as motivated when he has to wake up before dawn to work out on the training field with the practice squad?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I was wondering a 6'4 guy that played
at a major school and went 6 rounds
undrafted? How good is he?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:I was wondering a 6'4 guy that played
at a major school and went 6 rounds
undrafted? How good is he?
Who knows, but how good is the 6'4 guy that played at a major school and was drafted in the 1st round? 50% chance he's either a bust or a journeyman. Danielle Hunter looked pretty good last year, and nobody wanted him for three rounds. :confused:

Obviously, there's a higher and higher miss rate as the thing goes along, but Jared Allen was drafted to be a long snapper before having a HOF career. I'd say Kearse has a better chance at being a star then Boehringer, for what that's worth.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... aft-slide/
In the same city where eight years ago Jayron Kearse was arrested on a felony charge of robbery/home invasion, the dream started to become unclear again.
“I believe that’s what has made me who I am today,” Kearse said. “I probably wouldn’t be here if that didn’t happen. It really changed my whole mindset, the way I looked things and the way I carried myself. That was a turning point. Since then, I’ve been motivated to go do great things. Just make my mom proud, make my family proud and also make myself proud. Going on that path, I definitely wouldn’t have been proud of myself. When I got to the end of my life, thinking I could’ve done this, I could’ve done that. I don’t want to be saying shoulda, coulda, woulda. Just put my foot to the pedal and try to go get it. Now I’m in a position to go get it.”
Kearse, a safety from the NCAA-finalist Clemson defense, watched his close friends and teammates get the call. Cornerback Mackensie Alexander, whom with Kearse held film sessions before Tigers games, was taken by the Vikings in the NFL Draft’s second round. Fellow Clemson safety T.J. Green went three picks later to the Colts. The Falcons took De’Vondre Campbell, ex-Gophers linebacker and Kearse’s childhood friend in Ft. Myers, Fla., in the fourth round. Even Buffalo Bills receiver Sammy Watkins, who attended the same high school and college as Kearse, spoke up about his slide.

As picks continued to scroll across the television screen, Kearse’s frustration mounted. He’d left Clemson a year early after saying he received a second-round grade by the NFL Draft Advisory Board. Nearly four months later, on Saturday, April 30th, his phone started to ring with offers should he go undrafted.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

dang, home invasion .. no wonder he slid almost out of the draft ... :slice:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:dang, home invasion .. no wonder he slid almost out of the draft ... :slice:
He was 14 so I'm not sure how much it contributed to his slide but its possible it was a factor.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/10693291/for ... s-arrested

the article lists him at 17 years old. but it says there was like 8-9 of them involved and only one
gun. It sounds like possibly got rapped up with some bad people, and made a dumb choice. I had
one close friend do something very very stupid, but he learned from it and has achieved a lot today.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:http://www.nbc-2.com/story/10693291/for ... s-arrested

the article lists him at 17 years old. but it says there was like 8-9 of them involved and only one
gun. It sounds like possibly got rapped up with some bad people, and made a dumb choice. I had
one close friend do something very very stupid, but he learned from it and has achieved a lot today.
That would make him 25 years old now. I'm pretty sure the local news got it wrong again! :)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

That would make him 25 years old now. I'm pretty sure the local news got it wrong again! :)
very possible, I watched a video on him and the kids a stud. 14 is a lot different mentally than a 17
year old is. Yeah 17 is wrong, he was born in 1994...he is only like 22-23 years old currently then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coce42VjWNM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticl ... =206285460
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

the next Cam Chancellor?

This one is pure hope for Vikes fans, but a fun read nonetheless.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... 16-clemson
Jayron Kearse, who played at Clemson, must wonder about a system that doesn’t appreciate his attributes. He is a tall safety at a time when tight ends and receivers are the size of basketball power forwards. He is also the perfect mix of his uncle, Jevon Kearse, who was once one of the NFL’s fiercest pass rushers and his cousin, Phillip Buchanon, a cornerback who could outrun almost anyone and was an effective pass defender. On these facts alone, Kearse should be one of the most intriguing players in this week’s draft.

But NFL teams do not seem to look at Kearse and see solutions to their issues on defense. Instead, they pick him apart. He’s too thin. He’s not ferocious enough. He doesn’t intercept enough passes. He is too tall at 6ft 4in to be a good tackler. Because of these things, he might not be picked until the draft’s last day, maybe not even until the last round. This is what happens in the NFL. Teams are forever talking themselves out of good things.

A few years ago, there was another tall safety in the draft, another player whose attributes were ignored when teams refused to look past their charts that said a safety shouldn’t be one of the tallest men on the field. Fortunately, Seattle coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider saw in Kam Chancellor a player who could use his size as intimidation. They got a steal when they took him in the fifth round of the 2010 draft. Just like picking tall cornerbacks Richard Sherman in the fifth round of the 2011 draft and signing Brandon Browner, unwanted by the rest of the NFL in the same year. Without those three, all 6ft 3in or taller, the Legion of Boom never would have existed.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ive seen this guy, and heard the talking heads and their thoughts on him. He is my sleeper. I think he knows this is the time to prove he should be in the NFL. And he would be playing opposite Smith. How cool would that be. I pity the guy that tries to catch the ball in between those 2. But Im sure Zim will have the incompetent Sendjeo out there messing thing up for another year.