Vikings draft TE David Morgan

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings draft TE David Morgan

Post by dead_poet »

Lunch­-pail tight end whose versatility, consistency and production landed him a second-team All-American nod. Morgan's lack of quickness will hurt his ability to get open as a receiver, but his willingness to block and potential to become a move tight end who can handle fullback responsibilities should help his cause on the third day of the draft.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/2 ... 01b91c4040
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings draft TE David Morgan

Post by fiestavike »

I'm not so sure I'd agree. He's possibly the best athlete at TE in the draft. Finished #1 at his position in Bench Reps, 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle. 6'4, 262, long arms, big hands. he has a real chance to be a steal. He's a versatile player...A souped-up Rhett Ellison.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dav ... id=2555306
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:
I'm not so sure I'd agree. He's possibly the best athlete at TE in the draft. Finished #1 at his position in Bench Reps, 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle. 6'4, 262, long arms, big hands. he has a real chance to be a steal. He's a versatile player...A souped-up Rhett Ellison.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dav ... id=2555306

There are combine numbers and then there's football:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555306
WEAKNESSES Flagged seven times including two holding penalties and four false starts. Half-­strider whose feet look like they barely leave the ground when he runs. Gets into his routes with heavy feet. Tight hips prevent him from stemming routes sharply to create separation. Pronounced movement gives route progression away early. Doesn't have the deep speed to back defenders off of him and is forced to make a living with contested catches.
That doesn't sound very athletic at all. Plus, he didn't he run a very slow 40?

That said, he obviously has his strengths. It sounds like he catches and blocks well and those are pretty good characteristics in a Tight End. ;)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
There are combine numbers and then there's football:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555306
That doesn't sound very athletic at all. Plus, he didn't he run a very slow 40?

That said, he obviously has his strengths. It sounds like he catches and blocks well and those are pretty good characteristics in a Tight End. ;)
I think one disadvantage is coming from a school that just instituted a football program 5 years ago. His technique as a route runner isn't great, but I love his natural ability. He clearly stood out among the TEs at the combine as a really fluid athlete.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Not crazy about this pick. He ran a 5.02 40 according to the nfl.com scouting report. With that speed he better be a fantastic blocker with the surest hands you've ever seen and win contested balls. I'm not gonna blow up over the pick but just not crazy about the player. Again 6 foot 4 TE with 5.02 speed... not what I'd be looking for.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I watched the clips against Arizona. He's a nice hands catcher and does look pretty good blocking. They split him out wide against a corner at times and he made some plays. He does look rather slow though.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Sounds like a blocker TE with decent hands and
athletic ability
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

How much speed and finesse would you guys realistically expect out of a "lunch pail tight end"?

I mean, if he was a sack lunch kind of guy or a lulu lemon reusable bag type TE I'd expect a better 40 time, but not for a lunch pail TE.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have a good feeling about this
guy if I was bottom rotation player
I would be worried about my spot
on the fifty three
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

S197 wrote:I watched the clips against Arizona. He's a nice hands catcher and does look pretty good blocking. They split him out wide against a corner at times and he made some plays. He does look rather slow though.
You might be interested in this:

What Does David Morgan Bring To The Vikings?