How do you grade the Vikings draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: How do you grade the Vikings draft?

Post by Raptorman »

Drafting an O-lineman does nothing. There is no draft pick that anyone can claim is better than what is on the roster at this time. I think we have enough to find the guys we are going to need. Now, if the the Vikings were picking in the top 5 of the first round........

As with any draft, you have no idea how it will turn out. Who knows, maybe Treadwell will be a bust and the German be the rookie of the year. You just don't know.

As to Treadwell being slow, Troy "stone hands" Williamson was fast, but it doesn't matter if you can't catch the damn ball. Treadwell at least seems like he can catch.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Raptorman wrote:Drafting an O-lineman does nothing. There is no draft pick that anyone can claim is better than what is on the roster at this time. I think we have enough to find the guys we are going to need. Now, if the the Vikings were picking in the top 5 of the first round........

As with any draft, you have no idea how it will turn out. Who knows, maybe Treadwell will be a bust and the German be the rookie of the year. You just don't know.

As to Treadwell being slow, Troy "stone hands" Williamson was fast, but it doesn't matter if you can't catch the damn ball. Treadwell at least seems like he can catch.
Germans are known to be very precise! He'll get that stem down so IT IS EXACTLY ZEE SAME no matter what route he is running!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:Drafting an O-lineman does nothing. There is no draft pick that anyone can claim is better than what is on the roster at this time.
Those are somewhat baffling statements, especially the first one.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Those are somewhat baffling statements, especially the first one.
The lack of an impact OL is the biggest knock on this years draft class, but frankly, those guys were gone by the 16th pick. Every other Tackle was, by various degrees, developmental. I'm not against a developmental guy. Ifedi or Spriggs would have been a decent selection in the third, but there was just very little depth at Tackle in this draft and even those guys got pushed up the board.

Trading up for Tunsil could have been interesting had he fallen farther, but not sure how the Vikings regarded him after the draft day revelations.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: Those are somewhat baffling statements, especially the first one.
Not really. We know who we have on the roster now, and how they played. Is there any draft pick that was available that is better then what we have? We have 15 O-lineman on the roster currently. How many more do we need? And who do you drop to take another O-lineman? I know the O-line is a matter of concern, but I feel that they addressed that in FA.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: The lack of an impact OL is the biggest knock on this years draft class, but frankly, those guys were gone by the 16th pick. Every other Tackle was, by various degrees, developmental. I'm not against a developmental guy. Ifedi or Spriggs would have been a decent selection in the third, but there was just very little depth at Tackle in this draft and even those guys got pushed up the board.

Trading up for Tunsil could have been interesting had he fallen farther, but not sure how the Vikings regarded him after the draft day revelations.
Tackle wasn't the only OL position they could have addressed in the first two days of this draft and a high quality prospect that needs a year of development could have been a good choice for the Vikes at any OL position since they have so many players on one year deals or at the end of their contracts.

I was being literal when I wrote that Raptorman's first two remarks are baffling. I just don't know what he meant. :confused:
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: I was being literal when I wrote that Raptorman's first two remarks are baffling. I just don't know what he meant. :confused:
Simple. There were no lineman in the draft after the top 3 that I felt were better than what we have. I could be wrong, that's why I'm a fan not a highly paid scout, GM or Coach.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote: Not really.
I think I know when I'm baffled. :)
We know who we have on the roster now, and how they played. Is there any draft pick that was available that is better then what we have?
That's not the most relevant question because the draft isn't simply about immediate improvement but there were certainly OL players well worth selecting.

Kalil, Loadholt, Smith, Berger and Harris are only signed through 2016. Sullivan is signed through 2017 but who knows what his future holds after the type of injuries he's sustained? Fusco is signed through 2018 but if he doesn't play better than last year, that's of limited benefit. Other than Boone, who else on the OL roster looks capable of starting both now and in the near future? Clemmings was a disaster last year.
We have 15 O-lineman on the roster currently. How many more do we need?
As I wrote in response to Norv Zimmer upthread, there's a difference between having a lot of offensive linemen and having enough good offensive linemen. With luck, the Vikes should be able to field a solid, improved OL this year but even that's far from guaranteed.

I see very little foresight at work in the way Spielman is handling the OL, other than the fact that he could have plenty of cap room to work with in 2017.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Treadwell splitting time with Diggs?? Since they are our two best WRs, I hope they would both be on the field at the same time
Well, you know how Norv treats the wide receiver talent...

Or, alternatively, we still are Adrian Peterson's team, so three TE's as base offense is possible.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
Tackle wasn't the only OL position they could have addressed in the first two days of this draft and a high quality prospect that needs a year of development could have been a good choice for the Vikes at any OL position since they have so many players on one year deals or at the end of their contracts.
Of course. We could use G or C help as well. with regard to developmental Tackles, as I said, I'm not against it, I just wouldn't have wanted to spend a 2nd on one of the 5th and 6th tackle prospects off the board this year. Would have been a massive reach. Certainly could have gone interior OL instead of Alexander. I really like Alexander, but wouldn't have been upset with Whitehair there.

Like I said, its a legitimate knock on this draft...still no investment in the Offensive Line.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

John_Viveiros wrote: Well, you know how Norv treats the wide receiver talent...

Or, alternatively, we still are Adrian Peterson's team, so three TE's as base offense is possible.
Put Treadwell and Boerhinger in-line as TEs...Patterson and Diggs as the x and y :)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

NFL.com gave us an A, but grade inflation is a real problem nowadays!
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
The skinny: General manager Rick Spielman got the most physical receiver in the draft in Treadwell. There's no reason he won't be a to-go guy for Teddy Bridgewater. Alexander is an excellent defender, even without the turnover production. Then Spielman picked up two 2017 mid-round selections from Miami. That's building draft capital.

Spielman found quality players in Beavers, Brothers, Weatherly, and Morgan. Kearse was worth a shot in the seventh round. Boehringer's upside is highly intriguing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Mel Kiper gave the Vikes draft a B-:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -draft-a-b

Kiper's write-up is behind ESPN's Insider paywall but Ben Goessling covers it at the link above.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: The lack of an impact OL is the biggest knock on this years draft class, but frankly, those guys were gone by the 16th pick. Every other Tackle was, by various degrees, developmental. I'm not against a developmental guy. Ifedi or Spriggs would have been a decent selection in the third, but there was just very little depth at Tackle in this draft and even those guys got pushed up the board.

No it isnt, I have absolutely no idea where you came to that conclusion. This has been widely regarded as one of the deepest draft for linemen on both sides of the ball in recent years.

Nowhere in reality were Spriggs and Ifedi going to fall into the third, just saying.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:
No it isnt, I have absolutely no idea where you came to that conclusion. This has been widely regarded as one of the deepest draft for linemen on both sides of the ball in recent years.

Nowhere in reality were Spriggs and Ifedi going to fall into the third, just saying.
Deep in interior linemen and DTs. You could say "deepest draft for linemen" if you wish, but its misleading.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins