How do you grade the Vikings draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

How do you grade the Vikings draft?

Post by S197 »

Curious on everyone's overall thoughts. Will post mine a bit later.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: How do you grade the Vikings draft?

Post by Mothman »

With the obvious caveat that grading the draft at this point is little more than guesswork (we need years, etc.)...

... I give it a C. It looks average to me. That's not to say all of the players the Vikings drafted will be average but as a draft, in comparison to other drafts, it looks average. I don't see any obvious "steals", great moves, tremendous bargains, sure things, etc. but it doesn't look bad either.
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

B or B+ for me. Didn't walk away with any clear superstar talents but got two guys I feel will be definite starters. Few other guys I feel will push for starting spots so overall a solid draft.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:With the obvious caveat that grading the draft at this point is little more than guesswork (we need years, etc.)...

... I give it a C. It looks average to me. That's not to say all of the players the Vikings drafted will be average but as a draft, in comparison to other drafts, it looks average. I don't see any obvious "steals", great moves, tremendous bargains, sure things, etc. but it doesn't look bad either.
Mr. Negativity :-D just teasing.
I would say C+ or B-. I would have loved for them to pick up Myles Jack, but i am ok with their picks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I'd go C+ ......does seem rather average but with the team in a much different state than the last few years (not rebuilding) the process is not the same and the picks are not as high. Really pulling for the German league WR....I had seen tape on him a few months ago and was very intrigued. Low risk possible very high (future) reward situation.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I liked Day three and I am going to give Rick and Zimm some credit and say B

I love the German guy.. I guess people him Mo or Mo Moss LOL

The brown guys asked him his favorite team, he responded since your sitting
the, the Browns... :rofl:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

B-. I understand the rationale behind trading the 3rd pick and I think 3 of the 4 players they picked first can be solid contributors. I don't like that they continue to neglect the QB position and while their picks were okay, I think they could have been better.

As example, the Bengals picked right behind us and I think they did a much better job. Only time will tell obviously but this is just initial impression fun.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am not going to give a 'grade.' I am just going to break it down in this way:

Home-runs: Mackensie Alexander, Trade for 3rd/4th round picks next year

Good picks (Should work out): Laquon Treadwell, Kentrell Brothers, Jayron Kearse

Questionable decision-making: Willie Beavers, David Morgan, Moritz Boehringer, Stephen Weatherly

- I was shocked at Alexander. I was a little upset at first, but then I remembered how good he was. I studied him quite a bit a week ago. I was just shocked by the decision to grab a fifth corner. I quickly shut-up. I was a little frustrated at trading out of round three last night, but then when I saw how the board played out, I can now see that we made a great decision.

- I like Laquon Treadwell, I just cannot help the fact that we passed on Myles Jack. Time will tell what was the right decision. Kentrell Brothers should be a good back-up. Jayron Kearse has the length, size, and athleticism to be a great special teamer, and future starter.

- I was ok with Beavers at first, but man, I wish we would taken a true left tackle (Joe Haeg was around). Moritz has all the athleticism in the world, but he projects no better than a sixth receiver right now. David Morgan seems like a luxury pick and unnecessary. Same with Stephen Weatherly.

Pretty polarizing draft. We are either going to get some great depth/role players this year, or end up cutting most of these guys.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Hard to grade the draft now. A year from now gives some perspective, still you need two years at least before you can grade a draft. I sure don't look forward to complaining about the Oline Like last year since we barely addressed it in the draft Which I consider to be Zimmers first big mistake. The Game is won in the trenches. Always has, Always will. Most important Players in my mind are Lineman both Off And Def, the QB, and the Corners. If you are weak in any these areas it's not realistic to expect to win much.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Laserman wrote:Hard to grade the draft now. A year from now gives some perspective, still you need two years at least before you can grade a draft. I sure don't look forward to complaining about the Oline Like last year since we barely addressed it in the draft Which I consider to be Zimmers first big mistake. The Game is won in the trenches. Always has, Always will. Most important Players in my mind are Lineman both Off And Def, the QB, and the Corners. If you are weak in any these areas it's not realistic to expect to win much.
Dude we have too many guys at OLine now. You dont overdraft a position. We have more linemen than we are gonna carry on the 53 so why add on more picks to just cut em? We are actually stacked deep at line if the injured guys come back at 80% or better.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

If I try to look at the picks from outside of a fans perspective:

Both WR picks are risky. Mo is almost certainly going onto the Practice Squad, and WR's are pretty hit and miss in general, and the Daily Norseman article that talked about how rarely you get 1000 yards out of a slow receiver in today's NFL... I think you get more space shuttles exploding. An "A" for the stories these guys bring. A "C" for the actual football I expect out of them in the next two years.

If I'm not a fan, I probably downgrade the Vikes for giving away a 3rd round pick. That's a player who won't help at all this year. I would have wanted better compensation. Standard comp is one round higher the next year. We should have gotten a 2 or two 3's. This "worst of the 4th round picks" thing could easily make this a losing proposition for me - should have clearly been "best of your 4ths".

Love, love, love the Alexander pick. Love to see Alexander get a pick. The guy allowed 19 catches all year in the SEC, often times matched up against the other team's best target. That's something else. The stats and the highlights make me think he'll be our best CB going into 2017.

The other guys... Aren't going to matter much. They'll all be at the fringe of making the team. In their own ways, they are all good choices for me - a decent player with a flaw that the Vikings staff has a chance to fix. I think Morgan is the only guy who I can say with certainty that he'll never make a pro-bowl, but that's because he's playing blocking TE. He could turn out to be the best blocking TE in the league.

So in this, I go C/D/A/A- (for those paragraphs above). I guess that makes it around a B. Then again, I'm guessing we only get three quality starters out of this draft, so that's going to be a letdown after getting what appears to be four to six, eventually, from last year's draft.
TxVikingfan
Practice Squad

Post by TxVikingfan »

I would give it a B. I like some of the risks they made in later rounds. Here is also the UDFA.

Minnesota Vikings

Keith Baxter, DB, Marshall
Kyle Carter, TE, Penn State
Theiren Cockran, DL, Minnesota
Jake Ganus, LB, Georgia
Jhurrell Pressley, RB, New Mexico
Eric Rawls, DB, Kentucky State
Brandon Ross, RB, Maryland
Joel Stave, QB, Wisconsin
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Treadwell will be splitting time with Diggs by the bye week.
The german will make the 53 and be a gunner on special teams.
Five of our OL will not make first cut. Sherels and Johnson likely cut
Before 53 cut..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

jackal wrote:Treadwell will be splitting time with Diggs by the bye week.
The german will make the 53 and be a gunner on special teams.
Five of our OL will not make first cut. Sherels and Johnson likely cut
Before 53 cut..
Treadwell splitting time with Diggs?? Since they are our two best WRs, I hope they would both be on the field at the same time
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

My grade for the draft: blah

But i bet Rick had fun and thats all that matters on draft day. Picking the German (who will never see the light of day on the field, other then ST maybe) was Rick just getting his name in the paper. They dont even let CP84 play WR, hes more of an athlete then the German, and he warms the pine. For no reason I can think of, because he hasnt had enough time under Norv and Zimmer to earn the pine. This is pretty sad.

Does Beavers even have the possibility of being the starting tackle over Clemings? The one name I never wanted to hear again in a Vikings game was Clemings, and with my luck, they probably give him a raise, and brand new contract this year. How can the Oline be the LAST thought of Rick and Zimmer. What if Sully, Load, and Kalil all suck this year? We dont even have guys to train to take over. What about injuries to the Oline.

If we can get Newman on the field as a safety, I would really like the Alexander pick. Im being a baby over the pick, I really wanted Whitehair on this team. But They barely play their first round pick from last year, and then grab Alexander in the second? Or is Zimmer really that stubborn with CB's and Rick gave in?

We had a chance at Von Bell and didnt scope it up. I just dont understand all these trades that make Rick giddy on draft day, instead of picking good players now, that we can teach, seems pretty important.

Too tried to go on, wasted a large part of a Saturday hoping for some Oline gems. Maybe Morgan might be something, but i just dont see him beating out Rhett in the next few years.

I give the draft a C-. So many other picks I would have made. I guess next year Rick can trade the extra picks we got this year into 20 or so next year with some more wheeling and dealing. We need to nail the draft next year cause we are losing a lot of players, including AD (imho).