How do you grade the Vikings draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: How do you grade the Vikings draft?

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: Deep in linemen on both sides of the ball and DTs.
Fixed it for you. :D

Idk Fiesta, agree to disagree, but you are the only one I have personally seen say that that draft wasn't a good draft for the big guys.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote: Fixed it for you. :D

Idk Fiesta, agree to disagree, but you are the only one I have personally seen say that that draft wasn't a good draft for the big guys.
well...I didn't quite say that. DTs and Interior offensive linemen are pretty big guys. :lol:

Look, Tunsil and Stanley were highly regarded. Conklin and Decker typical late 1st, early 2nd guys pushed up because there's nothing but projects after them. Ifedi and Spriggs were projects pushed up even more because the projects after them don't even have great upside, and lots of teams are desperate for Tackles.

Great C draft and DT draft, good G draft.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: well...I didn't quite say that. DTs and Interior offensive linemen are pretty big guys. :lol:

Look, Tunsil and Stanley were highly regarded. Conklin and Decker typical late 1st, early 2nd guys pushed up because there's nothing but projects after them. Ifedi and Spriggs were projects pushed up even more because the projects after them don't even have great upside, and lots of teams are desperate for Tackles.

Great C draft and DT draft, good G draft.
Riighhtt.. it was a good draft at the positions the Vikings addressed but not at the position they didnt address. :thumbsup: EDIT: This comment was off base, ignore it, I had superimposed yours and the Bears draft and thought you came out with a C and a G and.... whatever, just chalk this one up to my plebian fudgie brain. :)

Spriggs definitely isnt a 'project', he was by most prognosticators a day one starter, we almost took him in the 1st round and it isnt like we are hurting for O linemen, in fact, on the contrary, the dude is likely a backup for a year. I think most years he goes pretty much exactly where he went, if not a little earlier.

I want to defend Ifedi as well but I dont know much about him as a player so im a little shorthanded, the one thing I can say, is I never have seen anyone qualify that this draft was weak at the tackle position except for you. By all accounts if you wanted a linemen, this was the year to go after him.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:
Riighhtt.. it was a good draft at the positions the Vikings addressed but not at the position they didnt address. :thumbsup: EDIT: This comment was off base, ignore it, I had superimposed yours and the Bears draft and thought you came out with a C and a G and.... whatever, just chalk this one up to my plebian fudgie brain. :)
:thumbsup: No problem. I was really sitting here trying to think who we drafted that I was overlooking! :)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CbusVikesFan wrote:For all the good player/prospects we acquired yesterday, I cannot give a passing grade to this draft because the glaring need for a fresher backup at QB. Obviously the Vikings are going to hinge the future on TB and TH. Pffffft!
I think it was a very strong draft for the Vikings and didn't hate any particular pick however I would have liked to see them draft a developmental Qb. I might get blasted for this but I'm still not sold at all on Bridgewater. He is ok but I just can't ever see him being a top tier Qb. I thought Dak Prescott or Cardale Jones would have been a good idea.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

I am going to give this one an A. I think Treadwell and Alexander are 2 blue chip prospect. They certainly were coming out High School.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

petev_sj wrote:I am going to give this one an A. I think Treadwell and Alexander are 2 blue chip prospect. They certainly were coming out High School.
One fun way to think about it is, how would you feel if these players had been picked in division? I'd hate to think of the Packers adding those two players. Treadwell and Alexander are both very talented players. I hope they work out for us.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: One fun way to think about it is, how would you feel if these players had been picked in division? I'd hate to think of the Packers adding those two players. Treadwell and Alexander are both very talented players. I hope they work out for us.
I wouldn't want Treadwell (Not in the first anyway) but just to give some perspective, I think the Packers have maybe the best secondary in the NFL, and yet I would have been doing flips had we drafted Alexander.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote: I wouldn't want Treadwell (Not in the first anyway) but just to give some perspective, I think the Packers have maybe the best secondary in the NFL, and yet I would have been doing flips had we drafted Alexander.
Why wouldn't you want Treadwell? Just curious.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: Why wouldn't you want Treadwell? Just curious.
Not in the first, but keep in mind I am ALWAYS leery of first round WRs, I think if you take a guy in the first round he has got to have grade A physical potential, Treadwell is a guy that I dont ever anticipate becoming blow the roof off, special kind of Julio like talent, he seems to me like if Greg Jennings was taller, a reliable, smart and savvy WR that can help your QB out, but isnt going to strike absolute fear into opposing Defenses.

Jmo.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Jordysghost wrote: I wouldn't want Treadwell (Not in the first anyway) but just to give some perspective, I think the Packers have maybe the best secondary in the NFL, and yet I would have been doing flips had we drafted Alexander.
And the Packers with the best secondary in the NFL?? :confused: Not so sure about that one either.

And with us having Rhodes, Waynes, Newman, Alexander, and Munnerlyn, along with Smith in the backend, I must say we have to be up there. We easily have the best depth at CB in the NFL
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And the Packers with the best secondary in the NFL?? :confused: Not so sure about that one either.

And with us having Rhodes, Waynes, Newman, Alexander, and Munnerlyn, along with Smith in the backend, I must say we have to be up there. We easily have the best depth at CB in the NFL
The Packers have had a top 5 secondary the past two years, and a top 10 secondary the past 3. Being rated above the Vikes secondary all three of those years.

This really isnt the place for to compare our rosters, but yea, Ill take the pepsi challenge over the Vikes CBs any day of the week, not only would I take Randall and Rollins over Rhodes and Waynes (And I think the on field production more then bears out why), but we are a whole premier top 5 corner above what with Shields. I think there is barely any argument for your CBs over ours and any argument for your secondary over ours would be based on you guys having an EXTREMELY underrated All pro Free Saftey.

Now our Lbs? Thats a different story. :wink:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Jordysghost wrote: The Packers have had a top 5 secondary the past two years, and a top 10 secondary the past 3. Being rated above the Vikes secondary all three of those years.

This really isnt the place for to compare our rosters, but yea, Ill take the pepsi challenge over the Vikes CBs any day of the week, not only would I take Randall and Rollins over Rhodes and Waynes (And I think the on field production more then bears out why), but we are a whole premier top 5 corner above what with Shields. I think there is barely any argument for your CBs over ours and any argument for your secondary over ours would be based on you guys having an EXTREMELY underrated All pro Free Saftey.

Now our Lbs? Thats a different story. :wink:
I wasnt talking about the past few years. I was talking about now. Granted we still have question marks in Waynes and Alexander, but I truthfully couldn't even tell you who the worst CB of the group is. I don't want to get into comparing rosters at all either. I just think that if these guys pan out this year like they should, there is no doubt we could challenge for one of the best secondaries in the NFL
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:
Not in the first, but keep in mind I am ALWAYS leery of first round WRs, I think if you take a guy in the first round he has got to have grade A physical potential, Treadwell is a guy that I dont ever anticipate becoming blow the roof off, special kind of Julio like talent, he seems to me like if Greg Jennings was taller, a reliable, smart and savvy WR that can help your QB out, but isnt going to strike absolute fear into opposing Defenses.

Jmo.
Ok, that's fair. I'm more interested in ball skills than blow the top off speed, but that might in part be because the Vikings have been chasing that kind of WR ever since we traded Randy Moss, and wound up with a lot of duds. I've been wanting a Vincent Jackson, a Mike Evans, an Alshon Jeffrey for what feels like an eternity now. I don't think Treadwell is quite in that mold, but I think he's somewhere in that realm.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I wasnt talking about the past few years. I was talking about now. Granted we still have question marks in Waynes and Alexander, but I truthfully couldn't even tell you who the worst CB of the group is. I don't want to get into comparing rosters at all either. I just think that if these guys pan out this year like they should, there is no doubt we could challenge for one of the best secondaries in the NFL
Im talking about now as well, I think that the top 5 CB core the Packers had last year, with two outstanding rookies (Both with, imo legitimate star potential) at the number 2 and number 3 Corner spots, with another year of development, is only going to rise. Jmo.

But honestly, I think you guys have a damn good group too, and with the drafting of Alexander (A player who I also truly believe to have legitimate star potential) you guys are only getting better. Yea, I agree that you guys could challenge for the best secondary in the NFL, I just think the Packers will continue to do so as well. :thumbsup: