Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

Post by dead_poet »

Spielman on Mackensie: Very competitive corner. WE see him as a potential nick, and also the ability to flex and play outside

Spielman: "Jerry Gray went down to Clemson...see him as potential Nickel and flexibility to move outside."

Spielman: "Trying to create as much competition as we can. Can never have enough corners"
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

losperros wrote:

Right now I'm pretty much seeing it the same way. I don't know. Does the Alexander pick mean Newman moves to safety?[/quote

I'm hoping that's the case and we can move on from AS
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Spielman said Alexander is strictly a nickel and inside and outside. Not a safety.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

[quote="dead_poet"]Spielman said Alexander is strictly a nickel and inside and outside. Not a safety.[/quote

But maybe that will allow them to slide Newman to S start Waynes
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

Good teams take the best player available, even if it isn't their biggest need. CB clearly wasn't our biggest need, but I'm confidant we got the best player on our board. As for need, Newman is old, and Waynes in unproven. Maybe Captain moves on next year and Mac becomes our slot corner.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I was slightly surprised and upset at first, but Mckenzie Alexander is a very good football player.

I just felt that we had other needs to be addressed. Then again, there is nothing like having stability at corner.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I was slightly surprised and upset at first, but Mckenzie Alexander is a very good football player.

I just felt that we had other needs to be addressed. Then again, there is nothing like having stability at corner.
Especially when two of your current starters might not be on the roster next year
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: The rouse is up, we know you're Washington's GM. Seriously though, nice job with your picks. And really seriously, if the Redskins take Day I'm looking up your IP :tongue:

hahaha yeah seriously. Through the first two rounds I was dead on for Washington. One thing is, I must say I was pretty accurate as to what rounds guys were going in. Either way, I love our picks. I like Washington's too :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

720pete wrote:Not sure how I feel about this pick. CB will definitely be a position of need in the next year or so after Newman leaves. I'd imagine that Waynes will make starter this year along with Rhodes and MacKenzie will spend a year playing special teams and packages with extra DBs?
We have to remember that next year, there is a good chance Newman and Munnerlyn could be gone which leaves us Rhodes, Waynes and who knows. So this is a great pick for the future and there is a good chance we won't have to worry about CB for a long long time
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

autobon7 wrote: But maybe that will allow them to slide Newman to S start Waynes
Safety was a weak link last year. Moving Newman makes even more sense now.

Since 2012, the Vikings’ safeties have been named Harrison Smith and Not Harrison Smith. Newman could change that...

Newman could become the Vikings’ version of Charles Woodson, the Raiders and Packers great who moved from cornerback to safety at the age of 36 and still is excelling at 39.

“All options are in play in the future,” Newman said. “I think I can still play corner. I can play safety. I’ll do whatever a team asks me to do. I’m still having fun playing football. My biggest thing is trying to stay in the door.”
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

totally idiotic pick. i love zimmer, but a times i wonder if he actually realizes you need an offense as well as a defense. we could have at least went with a safety with this pick if he was so hard set on going defensive. it seems like he had to be conned into taking a receiver in the first round. one rookie receiver isn't going to change a downright horrible and pathetic offense in one season.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mosscarter wrote:totally idiotic pick. i love zimmer, but a times i wonder if he actually realizes you need an offense as well as a defense. we could have at least went with a safety with this pick if he was so hard set on going defensive. it seems like he had to be conned into taking a receiver in the first round. one rookie receiver isn't going to change a downright horrible and pathetic offense in one season.
Cornerbacks Suck!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Good. Munnerlyn is a liability and Newman is ancient.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Demi wrote:Good. Munnerlyn is a liability and Newman is ancient.
Agree. This was a great pick. First round talent at a premium position in round 2? Can't complain about that. Once he gets his footwork perfected he will at the very least be a very good nickel back which is a starter in today's NFL.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

What is it about Newman that his name keeps coming up as safety? I never noticed him hitting particularly hard, or sure handed. He is a good DB, dont get me wrong, but is it just because he is getting older and the safety position is easier? Cause he better be playing safety if he can, when both Waynes and Alexander better be starting. Is Alexander at least close to as good as Peters is?