Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

Post by dead_poet »

Captain is a FA next year. Newman is 57 years old. Wonder if Newman might try his hand at safety.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
w_huisman
Transition Player

Re: Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

Post by w_huisman »

Curious for others thoughts on this pick. Where is everyone?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Wowwww!! We have one loaded defensive backfield!! Maybe move him to safety? Who knows but they are comparing Alexander to Josh Norman. Didn't allow a single TD pass over his final 23 games. That's crazy!! I love the pick. He's got a lot of swagger and confidence to him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Captain is a FA next year. Newman is 57 years old. Wonder if Newman might try his hand at safety.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft
"If I'm going against (Laquon) Treadwell, which I've studied, I know who he is, I haven't played against him, my game plan is -- he's a big guy, he uses his body real well -- (like) another guy we have at Clemson, Mike Williams. Same personnel (type). He's not very fast, but you know they're going to give you what they've got. They're very aggressive, very physical, they snatch the ball in the air. I'm taking away what they do best. I'm taking those jump balls away," Alexander said.

"If I'm covering Will Fuller, I know he's a deep vertical guy. He just ran 4.3, I'm proud of him. He's a fast guy. I'm fast too," he said. "But I know he's a vertical guy. If I take his vertical game away, I wouldn't say he sucked, but he's not that good. You force (Notre Dame coach Brian) Kelly to go to the screen game, which they did against us a lot, just to get him touches. Feed him some kind of way."

That's a mouthful, but Alexander bristled at the notion that he's got a reputation for trash-talking.

"I speak facts only," he said.
Last edited by fiestavike on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I thought we would have gone Safety in round two. Seems like a good pick to me
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PFF has Alexander as the best player in man coverage among CBs in the draft. Last year ranked 5th among draft-eligible CBs in receptions per snap.

QBs completed only 24.5% of passes targeted at him last year.

Shutdown?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Wowwww!! We have one loaded defensive backfield!! Maybe move him to safety? Who knows but they are comparing Alexander to Josh Norman. Didn't allow a single TD pass over his final 23 games. That's crazy!! I love the pick. He's got a lot of swagger and confidence to him
The rouse is up, we know you're Washington's GM. Seriously though, nice job with your picks. And really seriously, if the Redskins take Day I'm looking up your IP :tongue:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Mike Zimmer in =http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ng-day2014:
I would have changed up some coverages," Zimmer said when asked what he could have done differently, before adding, "I can't make these guys taller."
Hmmm....
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Revis = 5'11
Alexander = 5'11

Move on.

:v):
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

There are gonna be matchups where you go against a fast guy and matchups where you go against a tall guy. You need guys to cover both so you don't need all tall people.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I'm mainly upset cause I feel the 'need' players outweighed the players like Alexander. Plus I really thought Zimmer would want to coach up Bell. I,m still wondering what Zimmers idea of a good safety is. If its Sendejo we are in trouble.

Welcome to the Vikings Alexander.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Revis = 5'11
Alexander = 5'11

Move on.

Tyrann Mathieu
Pacman Jones
Malcolm Butler
Chris Harris Jr
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Marcus Sherels is officially on the bubble again...
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Revis = 5'11
Alexander = 5'11

Move on.

ESPN listed him as 5' 10" on their broadcast and that's the height listed on both of the profiles I posted.

Look, if he can play, he can play but it's a curious choice for a coach who has made it clear he prefers taller corners.