Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings draft CB Mackenzie Alexander

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:"BPA is subjective' is quite an odd way to say "BPA has become and overused rhetoric".
Yet somehow you understood and agreed with the point yesterday.

It's subjective for a fan to say a player was BPA. If that player was the top player on a team's board, they considered him the best available but as fans, we don't have access to the team boards so we have no way of knowing if they actually selected the top player on their board. Consequently, when a fan makes the subjective assessment that a player was the "BPA" as a means of defending a pick, I think that has become overused rhetoric.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: It sounds like you just read it!

As I wrote yesterday, my point was that "BPA" has become overused rhetoric, used to justify any pick fans like and/or want to defend, especially after the first round.

That's it. That was the point.
I've sort of lost the thread of your conversation, but my take...

If a fan has some method of ranking the players, they can use that to measure the value of a given pick from their personal perspective (for whatever thats worth). If they have a source that ranks the players which they trust, they can use that to measure the value of a given pick (essentially from the trusted source's perspective). If they have neither of those things, they can choose to believe or disbelieve that the team used their own measure to select the best player available (which is probably the wisest course of action for the team, but how many teams really do it?). Or a fan/analyst can "wait three years" and then note who worked out the best, but that's a pretty worthless metric except as it reveals over time whether the system a team uses to rank players is working and/or if the GM is/isn't following that measure. Or if the coach isn't getting the most out of it.

You need all 3 of those things, for a GM is to make good bets, and for a scouting staff is to get good intelligence, and for a coach to develop and utilize. a breakdown on any end and you aren't likely to have great success.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: Yet somehow you understood and agreed with the point yesterday.

It's subjective for a fan to say a player was BPA. If that player was the top player on a team's board, they considered him the best available but as fans, we don't have access to the team boards so we have no way of knowing if they actually selected the top player on their board. Consequently, when a fan makes the subjective assessment that a player was the "BPA" as a means of defending a pick, I think that has become overused rhetoric.
I agreed with the idea that BPA is/was and overused rhetoric, yes.

While I see what you are saying I think in the case of Alexander, your staff clearly did think he was the BPA, he didn't fit a need (At least from and outside perspective, it doesnt appear that way) so with that in mind, I would personally be a little concerned if he wasn't the highest player on the Vikings draftboard at the time.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think I'm in the Twilight Zone.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote:I think I'm in the Twilight Zone.
:point:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

From watching the highlights he appears to play the run well and tackle well..

reminded me of Winfield a little bit, to be honest.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

jackal wrote:From watching the highlights he appears to play the run well and tackle well..

reminded me of Winfield a little bit, to be honest.
I agree. Cant believe I am warming up to the pick, but theres a little Winfield there. He wraps up nice. Stays with the WRs nice, isnt easily thrown off by early juke moves.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I agree. Cant believe I am warming up to the pick, but theres a little Winfield there. He wraps up nice. Stays with the WRs nice, isnt easily thrown off by early juke moves.
If Alexander ends up being at all like Winfield, that would be great.

Winfield was something else. I always marveled over the way, despite his size, Winfield could tackle anybody. And I mean anybody!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

If you haven't seen this yet, watch it now.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15440672

I am VERY glad he is a Viking.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:If you haven't seen this yet, watch it now.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15440672

I am VERY glad he is a Viking.
After watching that, from his background to his work ethic to his reaction when the Vikes called him, it's hard to feel any other way. I hope he has a long, very successful career playing for the Vikings.

Thanks for the link! It definitely helps me understand the pick.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: After watching that, from his background to his work ethic to his reaction when the Vikes called him, it's hard to feel any other way. I hope he has a long, very successful career playing for the Vikings.

Thanks for the link! It definitely helps me understand the pick.
Right? I'm super excited to have him. I had no idea about his family background. Can't wait to watch him play.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Very cool!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Great video. Looks like we got a high character guy as well. He, Waynes and Rhodes are going to be quite a force to deal with. Alexander doesnt let the ball come near the receivers.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Great video. Looks like we got a high character guy as well. He, Waynes and Rhodes are going to be quite a force to deal with. Alexander doesnt let the ball come near the receivers.
If this becomes true, how refreshing will it be after being last or bottom-five in the league in pass defense for like the last decade?

Of course I'm also expecting a bit more improvement in the run-D too.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

losperros wrote: If Alexander ends up being at all like Winfield, that would be great.

Winfield was something else. I always marveled over the way, despite his size, Winfield could tackle anybody. And I mean anybody!
My recollection of Winfield was that they have something else in common - not many interceptions. Winfield was much better than his interception numbers, and that cost him pro-bowl votes.