Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

Post by TSonn »

S197 wrote:So who will be brave enough to tell Zimmer that PFF gave the pick a C+ but the redskins who leapt in front an A. :|
He could probably say that experts compare Doctson to Keenan Allen and Terrance Williams and they compare Treadwell to Dez Bryant and DeAndre Hopkins and Anquon Boldin.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

TSonn wrote: He could probably say that experts compare Doctson to Keenan Allen and Terrance Williams and they compare Treadwell to Dez Bryant and DeAndre Hopkins and Anquon Boldin.
It was tongue in cheek as Zimmer hates their grades but I do feel like the Vikings telegraphed their pick. Was Treadwell the guy all along or did the Redskins guess right? We'll never know of course but one has to wonder.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Couldn't be more excited!! It was either him or JD. They were a 1a and 1b for me and I was happy with either. He was the best WR in college football last year IMO. Great pick once again!!!! :rock:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: He seemed happy to be a Viking and looking forward to the challenge of trying to win a Superbowl. The guy is a winner.

That was my impression too.

He's said to be ultra-competitive. If being the 4th WR taken lights even more fire under him, all the better.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

STRENGTHS Good height and overall length. Smart receiver with a competitive edge when the ball is in the air. Catch-winner. Has a natural feel for the nuances of the position. Has feel for defender and is careful to work back to throws while shielding cornerbacks from the ball. Hands catcher with adequate body control who can climb the ladder and high point catches over defenders. Truly shines with ball-­tracking skills and rarely gives away location of the ball with early movements when racing downfield against cornerbacks. Has subtle shiftiness in his routes thanks to his clean footwork. Can stagger and stutter feet while still working through his routes.[b] Zone eater who has great understanding of positioning in space and giving his quarterback cleanest throw possible[/b]. Uses quality stiff­ arm after the catch for additional "RAC" yards. Willing to block, but has size and temperament to become much better at it.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555214

Sounds like a good fit for our offense! :smilevike:
TxVikingfan
Practice Squad

Post by TxVikingfan »

23. Minnesota Vikings - Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

Three wide receivers went before the best one in the draft mostly because Treadwell ran an unimpressive 40-yard dash time at the NFL Scouting Combine. Treadwell is a big and physical receiver who can be a top target for Teddy Bridgewater. If he can play a little faster and concentrate through the catch, he can put up big numbers in the NFL. Oh, and he'll help Adrian Peterson. Treadwell is one of the best run blocking wide outs in this year's draft.

Grade: A

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl ... dhp#page=3
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -takeaways
9. Laquon Treadwell fits Minnesota perfectly

Speed kills in the NFL and that was proven yet again in the 2016 NFL draft with faster wide receivers Corey Coleman (Cleveland), Will Fuller (Houston), Josh Doctson (Washington) going ahead of Treadwell but I remain convinced the newest member of the Minnesota Vikings will prove the best wideout of this draft.

While Teddy Bridgewater did not make the strides expected in his second season in the NFL, some of that was because the Vikings lacked a big, physical receiver to play the split end position so critical to Norv Turner's scheme. With the NFL's elite running back in Adrian Peterson and a true speed threat in Stefon Diggs to draw defenders away, Treadwell should have a relatively smooth transition into the NFL.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Treadwell reminds me some of Blackmon (NOT character), which is a good thing.

Over/under year one:

59 receptions
675 receiving yards
6 TDs
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

When I watch the video of this guy he really excites me. The way that he goes up and really fights for the ball. I much prefer receivers with strength and technique as a main attribute rather than speed. I think that more fits Teddy's style. I think Teddy is smart enough to know when to throw the long ball, but he needs a receiver that can fight for it because it may not be on the mark down field.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Most of the sites grade us an A on on the Treadwell pick,and say he was a good match for us.

Pro football grades us a C+ and says Treadwell is not a good match for the Vikings.

It's going to be fun watching Treadwell and Diggs on the field together.
Now we just need Teddy to throw the ball instead of standing back there pump faking it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote:Most of the sites grade us an A on on the Treadwell pick,and say he was a good match for us.

Pro football grades us a C+ and says Treadwell is not a good match for the Vikings.

It's going to be fun watching Treadwell and Diggs on the field together.
Now we just need Teddy to throw the ball instead of standing back there pump faking it.
/running for his life
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

sounds like he can be very good
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: /running for his life
First warning.

:whistle:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:When I watch the video of this guy he really excites me. The way that he goes up and really fights for the ball. I much prefer receivers with strength and technique as a main attribute rather than speed. I think that more fits Teddy's style. I think Teddy is smart enough to know when to throw the long ball, but he needs a receiver that can fight for it because it may not be on the mark down field.
I like his style too. Treadwell has serious potential as a pro. He needs to be a little more focused to reduce drops but he's a skilled receiver with good overall catching and route-running skills and he knows how to use his size to his advantage. I understand why his physical style appeals to Zimmer. Hopefully, Spielman has finally drafted a receiver who can start and excel for the Vikings for a long time!