Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

Post by dead_poet »

Via Cris Carter:
Vikings fan will be happy, and I've been working with him and will continue to help @SuccessfulQuon
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Not for me. That's the nature of the draft. It's a crapshoot, and Patterson was a high risk, high reward pick to begin with.
Exactly and that risk is even higher when you commit 4 picks to one player. It's not just a crapshoot. It's an exercise in team-building as well as risk and resource management, the culmination of months (or in some cases, years) of scouting. There are ramifications to making a BIG roll of the dice like the Patterson trade and getting it wrong. There are also ramifications to knowingly devoting those resources to a player the team knows is raw and relatively unskilled and then failing to adequately follow-through on development. Spielman and the Vikings blew this big time and they have continually made poor-to-questionable decisions at WR. That's why they just selected a wide receiver in the first round for the third time in 8 years. I can't just let then off the hook and call it bad luck. I just hope Treadwell helps solve this problem.
I don't think his book is finished quite yet anyways. Treadwell might actually help Patterson. You just never know how the chemistry of a position group can change when new ingredients come into the mix. Given the deliberate (slow) approach our coaches take with rookies, I also don't think it's a bygone conclusion that Treadwell comes in and automatically unseats our veterans. If Patterson can prove himself trustworthy, I think he'll have a shot to get some playing time. Maybe it's naive, but I'm still hopeful that we can cash in on his talent.
It's possible but I've run out of optimism on this front. I think Zimmer and Turner washed their hands of Patterson as a receiving option a year and half ago. At this point, he's a return man until the end of his rookie deal (if that long) and then they'll cut him. I'll be shocked if it turns out any other way.

I fully expect Treadwell to be installed as a starter and to start in week 1.

My apologies for griping a bit. It's been difficult to watch this team's passing game and choices associated with it for the past decade. My frustration with it boils over easily!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:The draft is pulling me back to the black hole that is VMB!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHH
I don't see why you'd assume that is/was BS.
I don't see any reason to conclude that.
What can I say? I assumed it was BS and the inevitable has already occurred. :D

They were incredibly unlikely to go into the season with the WR lineup they had. Just about every mock drafter out there knew it and I think most of us did too.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Via Cris Carter:

I like that! :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hasan on how Trwadwell fits in: http://bit.ly/1WviRjS
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
What can I say? I assumed it was BS and they inevitable has already occurred. :D
I'll assume the smile indicates you see my point there :)
Motorman wrote:They were incredibly unlikely to go into the season with the WR lineup they had. Just about every mock drafter out there knew it and I think most of us did too.
Sure, I'm not surprised they took a WR. I don't see any reason to think it was inevitable they would take one. :confused: If Hou took Treadwell would the Vikings take Fuller? I doubt it. Thomas? its possible. Another position? Doesn't seem unlikely to me.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: I'll assume the smile indicates you see my point there :)
Actually, I was just smiling that it played out exactly as I expected.

I genuinely thought Zimmer's comment was BS when he made it and unless the draft had fallen in a prohibitively unfavorable way for them, I think it was practically a fait accompli that the Vikes would draft a WR early.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

In interviews Treadwell said first half of last season was hard mentally and physically recovering from the leg/ankle injury. The stats reflect that. Only got better.

First 5 Games: 74.8 YPG.
Next 5 Games: 125.6 YPG.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Actually, I was just smiling that it played out exactly as I expected.

I genuinely thought Zimmer's comment was BS when he made it and unless the draft had fallen in a prohibitively unfavorable way for them, I think it was practically a fait accompli that the Vikes would draft a WR early.
In that case, I'll assume that the smile indicates you have no idea what I'm talking about or what point I'm trying to make. :)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:In interviews Treadwell said first half of last season was hard mentally and physically recovering from the leg/ankle injury. The stats reflect that. Only got better.

First 5 Games: 74.8 YPG.
Next 5 Games: 125.6 YPG.
That's a substantial difference. Was the difficulty of schedule relatively equivalent? I would actually think it would get more difficult in the second half but I didn't exactly follow Mississippi's season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: That's a substantial difference. Was the difficulty of schedule relatively equivalent? I would actually think it would get more difficult in the second half but I didn't exactly follow Mississippi's season.
Week/opponent:

1: UT Martin
2: Fresno State
3: Alabama (2)
4: Vanderbilt
5: Florida (25)
6: New Mexico State
7: Memphis
8: Texas A&M (15)
9: Auburn
10: Arkansas
11: LSU (12). (4 rec/58 yards/1 TD)
12: Mississippi State (21) (4/22/0)
13 (Sugar Bowl) Oklahoma State (16) (6/71/3)
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Looking at the multitude of highlights from our new guy......seems like he can be an impact player. Only thing that bothers me is one recurring thing I noticed.....he needs to run with the ball more protected. Several times seeing him waving the ball/carry arm about. We already have one guy (AP) stricken with fumble fingers. Nothing worse in the world than to see a nice gain or a first down......then turned over. Hope I'm overreacting.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Week/opponent:

1: UT Martin
2: Fresno State
3: Alabama (2)
4: Vanderbilt
5: Florida (25)
6: New Mexico State
7: Memphis
8: Texas A&M (15)
9: Auburn
10: Arkansas
11: LSU (12). (4 rec/58 yards/1 TD)
12: Mississippi State (21) (4/22/0)
13 (Sugar Bowl) Oklahoma State (16) (6/71/3)
Thanks. So, that "next 5" began with New Mexico State and ended with Arkansas. It's an impressive change. I just looked up the last 3 and his yardage production fell back toward "first 5" levels after the streak. However, he had 3 TDs in the Sugar Bowl.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Thanks. So, that "next 5" began with New Mexico State and ended with Arkansas. It's an impressive change. I just looked up the last 3 and his yardage production fell back toward "first 5" levels after the streak. However, he had 3 TDs in the Sugar Bowl.
Yeah, he dominated the Sugar Bowl. LSU wasn't great but not horrible. No idea what happened in the Mississippi game. Might be a fun one to see if it's available.

I don't have time but I found the link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOPTF98cRM

Edit: sounds like maybe combination of huge lead and big focus on Treadwell may have limited him.
Ole Miss tore out to a 28-3 halftime lead thanks to three Kelly touchdowns: the first a 27-yard touchdown scamper and the others passes to Stringfellow. With State's D locked in on Laquon Treadwell (who had a quiet four catches for 22 yards), String blew up for 84 yards on five grabs, including a clutch third-down conversion on the big touchdown drive early in the fourth quarter.
http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2015/11/ ... -bowl-2015

Tape should maybe help to confirm.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Yeah, he dominated the Sugar Bowl. LSU wasn't great but not horrible. No idea what happened in the Mississippi game. Might be a fun one to see if it's available.

I don't have time but I found the link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOPTF98cRM

Edit: sounds like maybe combination of huge lead and big focus on Treadwell may have limited him.
http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2015/11/ ... -bowl-2015

Tape should maybe help to confirm.
Thanks for the link. It's not a big concern either way. Some fluctuation in productivity is inevitable at that position, due to the very nature of the game.

Coming up big in the Sugar Bowl speaks volumes as does his ability to go on a 5 game tear like the one we were talking about.

I really hope this pick works out.