PHP's "Slick Rick" Mock Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: PHP's "Slick Rick" Mock Draft

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mike Wallace was a vertical threat that was fast and what did he do for this offense?? Nothing. It doesnt help when we don't have a strong armed QB that likes to take shots either. I'm not necessarily saying we don't need a "vertical threat". Doctson and Treadwell can be considered vertical threats as well. Tell me something other than speed that Fuller brings to the table?? Very questionable hands, can't go up and get the football, below average route runner, etc. I don't understand what your hard on is for Fuller. Like I said before, he's a Mike Wallace clone. He's a guy that can run deep and thats about it. He's a body catcher just like Wallace is.

And Doctson has a slight frame????? :confused: Have you not seen Will Fuller?? There isn't a slighter frame than that. The guy weighs 170 soak and wet.

Dotson skill set is 30x more impressive than Fullers. He brings so much more to the table than Fuller does. I don't want Fuller in the first at all and would be truly upset if we took him. I don't even think I would consider him in the second to be honest. As for Boyd, how does DUI not scream off the field issues with him? I would take him over Fuller any day but him getting a DUI scares me.

Lets base this around our QB too. Teddy showed that him and Mike Wallace didnt mesh. So what makes you think he would mesh with Fuller?? Look at Teddy in college. He was so successful having a BIG WR on the outside that could GO UP AND GET THE BALL and get separation on most of his routes. Not just run deep. Doctson and Treadwell both have that ability. Fuller doesnt whatsoever. Like I said before, if we don't find a way to draft either Doctson or Treadwell, I will truly be upset come Thursday night
I could throw the same juvenile remark back at you about Doctson. One of the big knocks on him is he doesn't run a full route tree and could be a product of the system. Fuller played in a pro-style offense. Go read the latest mock DP posted up in the draft section, Doctson falls out of the 1st round and Fuller goes before Treadwell. So I'm not the only one who sees potential in Fuller. Mel Kiper also mocked Fuller to the Vikings as did a few others.

I realize you put a lot of effort into your draft analysis, which is fine and actually appreciated but to be honest, I think you can a little too carried away when people disagree with your picks. It's almost like you take personal insult or something.

I'm not saying Doctson would be a bad choice but I also don't think Fuller is Mike Wallace. Most comparables put him closer to a Desean Jackson. Someone I would be HAPPY to have on this team (when he was in his prime).

I'm happy to keep this a light hearted debate if you want to carry on, but lets leave out the childish "hard on" remarks and hyperbolic "30x better" stuff. I respect your analysis, all I ask is you return the favor.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I have been reading that Fullers hands and catching ability is a huge question mark for him. Doctson on the other hand had great hands and a amazing catch radius. (Just watch his combine video).

My reason for not wanting fuller is we need a receiver that can win jump balls, we have Jarius and stefon for our smaller recievers.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: DP, can you please explain to me why you are so enamored with Michael Thomas? I am just trying to understand.

Thomas is a guy who I see as a clear second-round guy. He isn't as talented nor is he as fast as Devin Smith was a year ago (who went in the second round). When I have watched him, I don't see him doing anything spectacular. He strikes me as just another guy.
This is exactly how I feel as well. He just doesnt stick out to me and seems like somewhat of a project. I want an immediate impact guy
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: I could throw the same juvenile remark back at you about Doctson. One of the big knocks on him is he doesn't run a full route tree and could be a product of the system. Fuller played in a pro-style offense. Go read the latest mock DP posted up in the draft section, Doctson falls out of the 1st round and Fuller goes before Treadwell. So I'm not the only one who sees potential in Fuller. Mel Kiper also mocked Fuller to the Vikings as did a few others.

I realize you put a lot of effort into your draft analysis, which is fine and actually appreciated but to be honest, I think you can a little too carried away when people disagree with your picks. It's almost like you take personal insult or something.

I'm not saying Doctson would be a bad choice but I also don't think Fuller is Mike Wallace. Most comparables put him closer to a Desean Jackson. Someone I would be HAPPY to have on this team (when he was in his prime).

I'm happy to keep this a light hearted debate if you want to carry on, but lets leave out the childish "hard on" remarks and hyperbolic "30x better" stuff. I respect your analysis, all I ask is you return the favor.
I'm not insulted at all. Bottom line is, when you compare Wallace and Fuller, they are just about identical. Simple as that. I'm not a big Michael Thomas guy but DP had a great post regarding him and explaining why he could be a good WR. I've yet to see that regarding Fuller.

Wallace vs. Fuller:
-Both have questionable hands
-Both are body catchers
-Both are go-route runners
-Both have up in the air route running outside of go-routes
-Both are 6'0
-Fuller is 20-25 lbs lighter than Wallace which is never a good thing and Fuller could struggle with press coverage
-Neither are jump ball WRs
-Go-routes are the only way to really take advantage of their speed
-Neither are explosive after the catch
-Neither have big hands (Fuller has some of the smallest hands in the draft)

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/4/22/11447 ... ill-fuller

^Please take the time to read that. It's a good breakdown of Fuller and where his struggles are. Like I said, it sounds a lot like Mike Wallace to me. If I am wrong, I'll be the first to admit it but I've studied him along with many other WRs and he continues to be very underwhelming. I'm sorry but I don't want another "fast" WR with questionable hands.

If I insulted you in any way, I'm sorry. I didnt intend to do that but from what I've seen with Fuller, I just don't see him as a good fit in this offense. He's not an X WR IMO. He's more of a Y and we have that in DIggs who is an exceptional route runner with very reliable hands. Fuller has the slightest frame in the draft and doesnt have the ideal height of an X WR in this offense.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote:I have been reading that Fullers hands and catching ability is a huge question mark for him. Doctson on the other hand had great hands and a amazing catch radius. (Just watch his combine video).

My reason for not wanting fuller is we need a receiver that can win jump balls, we have Jarius and stefon for our smaller recievers.
Exactly how I feel NZ. Fuller is not a jump ball WR at all. Diggs and Wright are fast WRs that can create separation. Whether Doctson is a product of the system or not (I don't believe he is at all), he can go up and get those balls and is a huge red zone target. He has solid speed and can beat guys deep as well.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: PHP's

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: This is exactly how I feel as well. He just doesnt stick out to me and seems like somewhat of a project. I want an immediate impact guy
He may not stick out because the offense was funneled through Zeke and had to deal with his share of quarterback issues. He ranked sixth from-the-bottom in total snaps per target, which had several analysts calling "criminal underutilization." Dude is fearless over the middle, too, and ultra competitive. FWIW, PFF ranks him as a first-rounder and he clocked in between 4.3s-mid 4.4s at his pro day (depending on whose stopwatch you looked at). I don't think he's going to be OBJ but he reminds me a lot of early/prime Hakeem Nicks (but bigger and faster), which isn't a bad thing. In the right system Thomas can be a 70/80-catch, 1,000-yard receiver.

Also, it's probably important to understand that we've been spoiled with the last two WR classes. The majority of the time you're lucky to find one or two guys that contribute to any measurable degree immediately. In a run-first offense like ours and no clear Randy Moss to draft, if we do draft a WR in the early rounds expectations should be tempered. With the way the coaching staff defers to veterans over rookies, the dude may not even see the field a whole lot his first year.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly