PHP's "Slick Rick" Mock Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PHP's "Slick Rick" Mock Draft

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I always say, I'm not saying this is what's going to happen. Will it be correct, no. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Munnerlyn, Hill and Jennings in FA, Waynes, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith and Floyd (at the time I had us getting Floyd in the 2nd before he shot up draft boards)) but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read. I look to assess our current needs as best as I can and keeping it as realistic as possible.

I must say, I do a lot of research on these guys and if you look at my previous mocks, many of the guys I have us selecting may not be making an impact for us but they are making a big impact elsewhere. Last year, I had us getting Devonte Parker, Denzel Perryman, Tevin Coleman, Tre Jackson, Jamon Brown, etc. All who were either starting or making some noise as rookies this past year. I also had us getting Zach Zenner in UDFA and he made some noise in Detroit.

REMEMBER ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!!

The Vikings finish 11-5 and receive the 23rd overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft

OFFSEASON OVERVIEW

2016 Vikings Free Agents

OG - Mike Harris - Resigned
CB - Terence Newman - Resigned
LB - Chad Greenway - Resigned
TE - Rhett Ellison - Resigned
SS - Andrew Sendejo - Resigned
RB - Matt Asiata - Resigned
DT - Kenrick Ellis - Resigned
DE - Justin Trattou - Resigned
CB - Marcus Sherels - Resigned
LB - Audie Cole - Resigned
WR - Adam Thielen - Resigned
OL - Carter Bykowski - Resigned

LB - Jason Trusnik - UFA
LB - Casey Matthews - UFA
SS - Robert Blanton - Signed with Buffalo
CB - Josh Robinson - Signed with Tampa Bay
WR- Mike Wallace - Signed with Baltimore

Spielman continues to go after youth and limit spending in free agency

LG- Alex Boone - 4 years, $26.8 million

An absolute mauler that is an immediate starter at left guard. Excellent signing!

OLB- Emmanuel Lamur - 2 years, $5.5 million

An under the radar signing that could pay off very well for us. Extremely athletic LB that already knows Zim's system.

OT- Andre Smith - 1 year, $3.5 million

Love how we are bringing in good depth along the offensive line. It's tough to say if Smith or Phil will start but it should be a good competition.

S - Michael Griffin - 1 year, $3 million

Wasn't my free agent safety of choice but I definitely didnt mind the signing at all. I would hope he would beat out Sendejo.

LB - Travis Lewis

Core special teamer

TE - Brian Leonhardt

Blocking TE and insurance for Ellison. Could simply be a camp body.

Round 1 (23rd)

WR - Josh Doctson - TCU

I would be happy with either him or Treadwell here. I really dont prefer one over the other. Doctson is a jump-ball machine, has a long frame, great athleticism and solid work ethic. He is an immediate plug and play at the X position and I'm doing backflips in my living room.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-_-xSx9x0

Round 2

S/LB - Su'a Cravens - USC

A Mark Barron/Deone Buchanon type player that Zimmer could have plenty of fun with. He can play him at safety in certain situations or play OLB as well. The possibilities are endless with this kid. In a way, he kind of fills "holes" at two positions.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMdAkq2voTU

Round 3

DT- Sheldon Day- Notre Dame

At this point, I feel we can really start to focus on BPA and could always use depth along the offensive line. Day is an absolute beast and is very solid at the point of attack. His motor is non-stop and he could very well be a day 2 steal. A sleeper man-crush of mine.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M5BhEHYefA

Round 4

CB- Eric Murray- Minnesota

Captain's contract is up soon and Murray would be a perfect fit for the slot CB role.

Round 5

C- Graham Glasgow - Michigan

A big, mean, "Alex Boone-type" dude that will be the successor when Sully and Berger decide to retire.

Round 6

OT- Joe Haeg - North Dakota St.

Haeg protected Carson Wentz's blindside for the past two years. Granted, he didnt face the best competition but I believe this is a good value pick here given his potential.

Round 7 via Buffalo

QB- Kevin Hogan - Stanford

Hill is old and we could use a developmental guy even though I do like Heinecke.

Round 7

P- Tom Hackett - Utah

Locke sucks

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: PHP's "Slick Rick" Mock Draft

Post by mansquatch »

as I always, I will start off by saluting the work and effort you put into these.

I don't have any issues with you pick although I think the team is not going t go WR in the first round. That being said I wouldn't be upset with Doctson.

Best part of the post:

"Locke Sucks"

:point: :rofl:
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I'd obviously be super happy if things turned out the way you have them forecasted! (I've been clamoring for Doctson for what seems like eons now).

No trade ups into the end of the first this year?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Thanks for your work. I'll have to write more later but my initial impression is pretty good, though I'm souring on Cravens. His reluctance to workout for teams combined with his pretty lackluster athletic numbers (seriously? A 30" vertical? A center in Indy topped that) has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd pull the trigger in the third but he has dropped some in my grades.

I think this article is a good spot here as it's one of my favorites each year. The author checks the athletic profiles the Vikings seem to target and lists players that fit.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/22/ ... -nfl-draft
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Thanks for your time and effort!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think there's better value in Fuller or Boyd in the 2nd than Doctson in the 1st. I like the Sheldon Day pick, I think he would be a steal in the 3rd although I don't know that he'll last until the Vikings pick. Hopefully he or one of the top centers are on the board as some mocks suggest. Like DP, I'm not a big fan of Cravens. If Christian Hackenberg is around in the 4th, I'd take him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:I think there's better value in Fuller or Boyd in the 2nd than Doctson in the 1st. I like the Sheldon Day pick, I think he would be a steal in the 3rd although I don't know that he'll last until the Vikings pick. Hopefully he or one of the top centers are on the board as some mocks suggest. Like DP, I'm not a big fan of Cravens. If Christian Hackenberg is around in the 4th, I'd take him.
Thanks for the feedback! I personally want nothing to do with Fuller. He's Mike Wallace 2.0 IMO. We don't need a burner. We need a big physical outside WR that can win the contested catch and run good routes. Not a guy that can just run deep because he's fast and has VERY questionable hands. I was a huge Tyler Boyd fan about a month or so ago but the more I read on him, the more he worries me. It's never a good sign getting a DUI. There could be some character concerns there. Also, I noticed Pitt really tried to manufacture his touches and run a lot of bubble screens/quick hitches.

Treadwell and Doctson are both solid route runners and do an unbelievable job of high pointing the football and winning the contested catch. Fuller is neither of those. Boyd is a questionable route runner but does well in jump ball situations.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:as I always, I will start off by saluting the work and effort you put into these.

I don't have any issues with you pick although I think the team is not going t go WR in the first round. That being said I wouldn't be upset with Doctson.

Best part of the post:

"Locke Sucks"

:point: :rofl:
:lol: :lol: I figured you guys would like that
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's

dead_poet wrote:Thanks for your work. I'll have to write more later but my initial impression is pretty good, though I'm souring on Cravens. His reluctance to workout for teams combined with his pretty lackluster athletic numbers (seriously? A 30" vertical? A center in Indy topped that) has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd pull the trigger in the third but he has dropped some in my grades.

I think this article is a good spot here as it's one of my favorites each year. The author checks the athletic profiles the Vikings seem to target and lists players that fit.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/22/ ... -nfl-draft
I've been like that at times with Cravens as well but his tape really really impresses me.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:I'd obviously be super happy if things turned out the way you have them forecasted! (I've been clamoring for Doctson for what seems like eons now).

No trade ups into the end of the first this year?
Hahaha I really wanted to and was giving it a lot of thought but I almost see no need for it this year because I have a good feeling either Treadwell or Doctson will be sitting there for us. If one goes and we get a little nervous then trade up and go get them.

As for trading back into the first from the second round, we pick too high this year IMO. I don't think Spielman wants to make that mistake again like he did with Patterson. If you want to go from pick 23ish in the second all the way up to the backend of the first, you have to give up a HAUL as we all know. If we were picking early in the second then I would've done it for sure.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Hahaha I really wanted to and was giving it a lot of thought but I almost see no need for it this year because I have a good feeling either Treadwell or Doctson will be sitting there for us. If one goes and we get a little nervous then trade up and go get them.

As for trading back into the first from the second round, we pick too high this year IMO. I don't think Spielman wants to make that mistake again like he did with Patterson. If you want to go from pick 23ish in the second all the way up to the backend of the first, you have to give up a HAUL as we all know. If we were picking early in the second then I would've done it for sure.

I hope you're right about Doctson / Treadwell. I'd be happy with either one in the first.

I agree that this year it wouldn't be worth jumping back into the first, unless something strange happens and someone drops way below where they should and we just feel like it's too good to pass up on. My guess is that this is the year that the RICKER stops (or pauses) his signature move. We're less than a week away at this point!!!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I would be fine with Treadwell or doctson in the first. I am completely agreeing with no to fuller or any other burners. We need a tall physical jump ball wr, we already have a Jarius wright and stefon Diggs.
If cravens is there in the 2nd I would be all for him, but I think he might be gone by the time we pick.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Thanks PHP, very cool

Round 6 ND State - I know the pic is for the OT, but did anyone else laugh at the position of the running back in the picture? I don't know why but for some reason his stance just cracked me up.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Thanks PHP, very cool

Round 6 ND State - I know the pic is for the OT, but did anyone else laugh at the position of the running back in the picture? I don't know why but for some reason his stance just cracked me up.
Living in fargo I think Joel haag will surprise at the.next level. Also the ndsu punter would be worth a.camp spot since I don't think he would get drafted. Think his name is Ben lecompte or something
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote:I would be fine with Treadwell or doctson in the first. I am completely agreeing with no to fuller or any other burners. We need a tall physical jump ball wr, we already have a Jarius wright and stefon Diggs.
If cravens is there in the 2nd I would be all for him, but I think he might be gone by the time we pick.
Exactly. If we drafted Will Fuller I will...... :puke:

He's so overrated it's not funny. He is a Mike Wallace clone and it clearly doesnt fit our offense.

Perfect example.... look how Teddy did in college with a tall jump ball WR he could trust (Parker). You rarely saw him throwing bomb go-routes to Parker. Treadwell and Doctson are hands down above and beyond everyone else in this class IMO. Height, physicality, route running, high pointing the football, length, ability to win 50-50 balls, etc. Nobody touches them in that regard. Which is why they are a must pick IMO if either are sitting there at 23. They are exactly what this offense needs. When did Norv Tuner ever have a "burner" in his offense at the X or Y position. Vincent Jackson, Josh Gordon, etc. They are all just like Treadwell and Doctson. It's a no-brainer IMO
-Chazz Palminteri