Will the first round pick be a defensive player...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

The past few weeks a lot of mock drafts have showed us taking a WR .
But will we end up taking a defensive player in the first round?
Andrew Billings name seems to be popular this week. And this will probably change 1/2 dozen times before draft day.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Will the first round pick be a defensive player...

Post by autobon7 »

My gut feeling is that we will go defense......may not be a popular choice but Zim knows that he is just a player maybe 2 of having the best D in the nfl. Of course it depends on who is still available but my feeling is defense. Funny though as Zim recently said he thinks his defense is just ok.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I'll put it this way. If a D player that is arguably the BPA is there at #23, I think it's likely the Vikings will grab him.

Zimmer is a defensive minded coach. It has to be murder for him to pass on a potential impact D player.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I'd say it's 50/50 if we go offense or defense!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

mondry wrote:I'd say it's 50/50 if we go offense or defense!
This is profoundly insightful! :D

I would not be surprised or disappointed if the first rounder was a LB, DE, or Safety. In that order.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

what i don't want is to do what the jets did under rex ryan. after drafting sanchez they did very little to upgrade their offense and obviously became a very one dimensional team. the offense needs some high end talent as well.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

slapnut19 wrote:what i don't want is to do what the jets did under rex ryan. after drafting sanchez they did very little to upgrade their offense and obviously became a very one dimensional team. the offense needs some high end talent as well.
Vikings brass have been to quite a few pro days with the top receivers and inviting them to the top-30 visit. I'd be shocked if they didn't take a WR in the first three rounds.

I'm hoping we come out with a T, WR, LB and C in the first four rounds.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

I've mentioned in a few other topics I'd be pretty upset if we passed on Lee if he falls to us. Was wondering what you guys think of Jaylon Smith arguably the best LB in the draft when 100%, would you take him at 23? Even if we got him back late in the season it would be a huge help, not to mention if he wasn't injuried he would be a top 10 pick.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:I'm hoping we come out with a T, WR, LB and C in the first four rounds.
Agreed. That would be great and much needed.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

allday1991 wrote:I've mentioned in a few other topics I'd be pretty upset if we passed on Lee if he falls to us. Was wondering what you guys think of Jaylon Smith arguably the best LB in the draft when 100%, would you take him at 23? Even if we got him back late in the season it would be a huge help, not to mention if he wasn't injuried he would be a top 10 pick.
Would entirely depend on the medicals. I wouldn't take him in the first though. Anytime you're dealing with nerve issues it's a big deal. I'd be shocked if he played much this season, if at all. If the re-check goes well he might go in the second but it could be later than that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

halfgiz wrote:The past few weeks a lot of mock drafts have showed us taking a WR .
But will we end up taking a defensive player in the first round?
Andrew Billings name seems to be popular this week. And this will probably change 1/2 dozen times before draft day.

If Billings drops to us, I could see us taking him. He is just such a classic Zimmer type guy and seems to be a special talent.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote:
If Billings drops to us, I could see us taking him. He is just such a classic Zimmer type guy and seems to be a special talent.
I can imagine Zimmer wanting Billings in purple. You're right. He's a tough Zimmer type guy.

Billings could help the run defense by plugging up the middle between the hash marks. He can also pass rush.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

losperros wrote: I can imagine Zimmer wanting Billings in purple. You're right. He's a tough Zimmer type guy.

Billings could help the run defense by plugging up the middle between the hash marks. He can also pass rush.
Would we be content to rotate Sharif in then? That's the only issue I could foresee. Of course, injuries make it nice to have extra talent at the position. When Linval went down last season we felt his absence big time.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Floyd's a solid player but by no means do you pass up a potentially special talent because of him. Not saying Billings is that of course, just throwing it out there.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

mondry wrote:Floyd's a solid player but by no means do you pass up a potentially special talent because of him. Not saying Billings is that of course, just throwing it out there.

you have to wonder about some of the defensive players acquired pre zimmer. floyd is a solid d tackle, but is he a guy zimmer wants to roll with long term? i'd put rhodes in the same category.