Trading Up?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Would you trade up for Ronnie Stanley?

yes
8%
no
92%

Total votes: 25

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Trading Up?

Post by fiestavike »

Just curious what folks would think. It would take something like the 2016 1st and 2nd, plus the 2017 2nd to move up around the 6th-10th pick based on the draft trade chart.

If no, is there another player you would trade up for?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
slapnut19
Transition Player

Re: Trading Up?

Post by slapnut19 »

not stanley, but if ramsey were to fall i'd be in favor.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Uh. No..

If you trade up for that price you better be damn sure he is ane elite player, QB would be the most palletable position to take that risk on.

Packers traded a 2nd, a 3rd, and another 3rd to the Patriots (aquired from the Jets as part of the Brett Favre trade) to move up and take Matthews in the middle (Later part, 26th to be specific, my mistake), part of the first, i'd imagine the price would only get steeper from there.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote:Just curious what folks would think. It would take something like the 2016 1st and 2nd, plus the 2017 2nd to move up around the 6th-10th pick based on the draft trade chart.

If no, is there another player you would trade up for?
I just think our picks would be more valuable to us than trading up. It seems that Zimmer thinks the offensive line will be improved enough with the upgrades.
Kind of leaning towards Zimmer going D on the first round pick. But it will depend on where the players fall.
I'm just not sure getting a top offensive lineman is as a big of a priority to Zimmer as it is to us.

How many of us would love to have a sneak peek at Zimmer & Ricks draft board. :rock:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I voted no as well, but I'm intrigued by the possibility. If things go according to plan the Vikings will probably not be in position to draft a LT next year either, and Matt Kalil will be a free agent. They could re-sign or franchise him, but he's probably not a guy you want to do that with. Maybe they can address it through FA, but no premier LTs made it to FA this year, and the salary would probably be nuts. Maybe they envision Boone becoming the LT or (gasp) Andre Smith. I like that they're willing to try, but not great odds of either of those options panning out.

They could reach and grab Spriggs or Ifedi, or trade up in the 2nd or back end of the 1st to target one of those guys, but neither one seems like a sure bet.
they could trade up to the teens and target Decker or Conklin, but most seem to place Decker well below Stanley and Tunsel, and seem to view Conklin as more of a premier RT.

Could trade all the way up to possibly 13 with just our 1st and 2nd, or up as high as the 18 with just our 1st and 3rd. If Stanley should slide to 13 or If Decker is still there at 18, I might be tempted to make that deal. They could probably either trade Kalil or, I'd imagine, get a compensatory pick should he not be re-signed after this year, which might come close to making that "trade up" a wash.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:I just think our picks would be more valuable to us than trading up.

I voted "no" for the same reason. If they find themselves needing to trade up a couple spots to select a player they really feel they must have, I'm not opposed to it but I don't think they should be paying a huge price to move way up this year.
How many of us would love to have a sneak peek at Zimmer & Ricks draft board. :rock:
That would be fun!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Spriggs had a good senior bowl and combine...I wouldn't mind us trading back into the
second for him. I am wondering if we are going to take Jaylon Smith the injured linebacker
or not. The guy rated a 7.41 which about as high as I have ever seen on draft status.

Most first round picks don't break a 6.40
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:Spriggs had a good senior bowl and combine...I wouldn't mind us trading back into the
second for him. I am wondering if we are going to take Jaylon Smith the injured linebacker
or not. The guy rated a 7.41 which about as high as I have ever seen on draft status.

Most first round picks don't break a 6.40
Just based on what I've read, Spriggs is probably a better fit for a zone blocking team. Ifedi might be the better fit but he's sloppy and a bit of a project. I'm not sure either one provides more than another question mark for the 2017 season. The more I think about it, the more I would really hate to see us miss out on all three of the 1st round graded tackles who project to the left side. I'm expecting to miss out on them, but depending how the draft unfolds I'm not against trading up if it only involves our first and one additional pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

My dream (completely unreal) scenario is to trade up and get Myles Jack, so that we start the UCLA linebacking corps for the next ten years.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

I wonder if Kalil would consider retiring if he has a poor season this year. Given his injuries and up and down play and trouble keeping on weight might he choose to call it a career?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

720pete wrote:I wonder if Kalil would consider retiring if he has a poor season this year. Given his injuries and up and down play and trouble keeping on weight might he choose to call it a career?
Unlikely.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

720pete wrote:I wonder if Kalil would consider retiring if he has a poor season this year. Given his injuries and up and down play and trouble keeping on weight might he choose to call it a career?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Good question, I could definitely see that happening.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Unlikely.
It's unlikely unless Kalil's health keeps failing him. If he can't dodge the injury bug and his performances suffer from it, then I could see him retiring.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:It's unlikely unless Kalil's health keeps failing him. If he can't dodge the injury bug and his performances suffer from it, then I could see him retiring.
I suppose but his health issues have never even been significant enough to cost him a start. Loadholt seems a more likely candidate for early retirement based on injuries since he's older and has missed his last 22 starts (not that I'm expecting to see that happen either).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I suppose but his health issues have never even been significant enough to cost him a start. Loadholt seems a more likely candidate for early retirement based on injuries since he's older and has missed his last 22 starts (not that I'm expecting to see that happen either).
Loadholt's injuries aren't related. Agree about Kalil's knees. He's had at least three substantial surgeries PER KNEE (and I think at least one more procedure on either one or the other). Phil isn't that old. He turned 30 in January.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly