The Vikings will likely draft a wide receiver, but who?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: The Vikings will likely draft a wide receiver, but who?

Post by VikingLord »

losperros wrote: I agree with Mayock. Not to knock Doctson or Fuller but I think they are R2 guys who will need some real development in the NFL.

From what I've seen of them in games, I think both Treadwell and Coleman are more NFL ready. That's especially true of Treadwell, who was impressive going against some tough SEC defenses. I also love his first name: "Laquon." :)
I think Treadwell will be gone well before the Vikings pick, which in my view is fine because I don't see him as an elite prospect. In fact, I don't see any of the WR's in this year's draft as elite. Treadwell is probably the only WR I'd put in the first round, and he'll go higher than he should simply because some team somewhere in the first half of the draft is going to decide they need a WR and he's the best one on the board.

Rather than trying to force a WR at #23, I could see the Vikes going for one in the 2-3rd round area, but I could easily see Spielman waiting until the 4th. This just isn't a great WR class. There are guys who could develop, but I'm not seeing anyone worth getting excited about, and with the incredible depth on the defensive side in this year's draft I think Spielman will find it hard to justify using one of his first 2 picks on a WR.

As far as the offensive line goes, just think about all of the teams in the league that struggled at those positions last year. Most of those teams didn't make the playoffs and will be picking before the Vikes in each round. For a team that needs offensive line help, this is a really bad year to be drafting in the back half of each round.

And that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Vikings who, for example, need a solid safety to pair with Harrison Smith. They could use another solid CB prospect, and of course could also look to shore up the depth at LB. While everyone wants to see Bridgewater and the passing offense improve, I'm just not sure this particular draft is going to be of much immediate help in that regard. Hopefully they'll get a healthy Sullivan and Loadholt back.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

VikingLord wrote:Rather than trying to force a WR at #23, I could see the Vikes going for one in the 2-3rd round area, but I could easily see Spielman waiting until the 4th. This just isn't a great WR class. There are guys who could develop, but I'm not seeing anyone worth getting excited about, and with the incredible depth on the defensive side in this year's draft I think Spielman will find it hard to justify using one of his first 2 picks on a WR.

As far as the offensive line goes, just think about all of the teams in the league that struggled at those positions last year. Most of those teams didn't make the playoffs and will be picking before the Vikes in each round. For a team that needs offensive line help, this is a really bad year to be drafting in the back half of each round.

And that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Vikings who, for example, need a solid safety to pair with Harrison Smith. They could use another solid CB prospect, and of course could also look to shore up the depth at LB. While everyone wants to see Bridgewater and the passing offense improve, I'm just not sure this particular draft is going to be of much immediate help in that regard. Hopefully they'll get a healthy Sullivan and Loadholt back.
I couldn't agree more on all your points, Edward.

I know I'm in the minority but I'd love to see the Vikings pick OLB Darron Lee in R1.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

losperros wrote: I couldn't agree more on all your points, Edward.

I know I'm in the minority but I'd love to see the Vikings pick OLB Darron Lee in R1.
Depending on who's available I'm on the Lee train, too.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

losperros wrote: I couldn't agree more on all your points, Edward.

If he's available by our pick I'd be quite mad if we didn't take him, not overly big on any of the top 3 WR'S in this draft.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'm letting the Lee train depart the station without me.

Then again, I think there's enough depth at OL in this draft for the Vikes to add some good talent on the line and I also think there are some receivers worth drafting in R1.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I'm letting the Lee train depart the station without me.

Then again, I think there's enough depth at OL in this draft for the Vikes to add some good talent on the line and I also think there are some receivers worth drafting in R1.
Why don't you like Darron Lee, Jim? He's a big playmaker at OLB. He might even be there at #23 anyway.

OTOH, I'd love nothing better than to see the Vikings address their OL early. As I said earlier, I see only two receivers worth drafting in R1.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Why don't you like Darron Lee, Jim? He's a big playmaker at OLB. He might even be there at #23 anyway.
I like aspects of his game (particularly his speed and athleticism) so I don't want to give the impression I strongly oppose drafting him. I'd just prefer to see the Vikes spend their first round pick differently.

I question Lee's size and strength at the point of attack, his ability to get off blocks and make solid tackles against the run on a consistent basis. I'm sure Zimmer could find effective ways to use a player with his abilities but I think the Vikes still need to improve their run defense and I don't think he's a great fit for that.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I like aspects of his game (particularly his speed and athleticism) so I don't want to give the impression I strongly oppose drafting him. I'd just prefer to see the Vikes spend their first round pick differently.

I question Lee's size and strength at the point of attack, his ability to get off blocks and make solid tackles against the run on a consistent basis. I'm sure Zimmer could find effective ways to use a player with his abilities but I think the Vikes still need to improve their run defense and I don't think he's a great fit for that.
Good points, Jim. Thanks for the explanation. And I agree about the Vikings needing to improve their run defense (a lot!).

I'll admit I really like Darron Lee's skill set. Maybe I'm too impressed with his big play ability. I do that sometimes.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Good points, Jim. Thanks for the explanation. And I agree about the Vikings needing to improve their run defense (a lot!).
Thanks. That run defense is the crux of it for me. I want to see a real focus from the Vikings on improving their passing game and (to a lesser extent because it's a lesser problem at the moment) their run defense.
I'll admit I really like Darron Lee's skill set. Maybe I'm too impressed with his big play ability. I do that sometimes.
Maybe but he does offer a lot in terms of athleticism and coverage ability. His speed could make him a very effective blitzer and I like his aggressive attitude. He's a good player.

Maybe you're suitably impressed by his big play ability and I'm too focused on the areas of the team I want to see improve? ;)
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

Just saw an article on NFL.com about this German wide receiver playing in the GFL that is working out for the draft and even met with the Vikings last night. A project, no doubt, but crazy speed for his size, I think 6'4" like 220lbs with 4.39 40 speed. Wouldn't mind blowing a seventh on him.

...I don't feel finding and posting the link, it's on NFL.com with some video.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Superman wrote:Just saw an article on NFL.com about this German wide receiver playing in the GFL that is working out for the draft and even met with the Vikings last night. A project, no doubt, but crazy speed for his size, I think 6'4" like 220lbs with 4.39 40 speed. Wouldn't mind blowing a seventh on him.

Interesting. Babs: Part 2?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Superman wrote:Just saw an article on NFL.com about this German wide receiver playing in the GFL that is working out for the draft and even met with the Vikings last night. A project, no doubt, but crazy speed for his size, I think 6'4" like 220lbs with 4.39 40 speed. Wouldn't mind blowing a seventh on him.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... t-sleepers
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

And we think Patterson is a project. Goodness.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

losperros wrote: Good points, Jim. Thanks for the explanation. And I agree about the Vikings needing to improve their run defense (a lot!).

how about ragland at 23? adding a more rugged mlb would allow kendricks to move to the weakside and should improve our run stuffing ability up the middle.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »