The Vikings will likely draft a wide receiver, but who?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The Vikings will likely draft a wide receiver, but who?

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I think that just depends on the players and opportunities involved. For example, if we had a crystal ball and could see that 2 years down the line Bridgewater won't be considered a viable starter and Lynch or Goff will look like the next Aaron Rodgers (not predicting that, by the way!), it could be very wise to draft one of them, controversy be damned. It's also the kind of move that could be a disaster. Ideally, drafting a QB in the 3rd to 5th round who can develop into a quality starter would be better because it enables the team to avoid some of the potential controversy that would arise from drafting one high but again, it comes down to how the prospects are rated.

As for Adams: I just think teams are going to look at his size, release and experience and consider him a late round pick, if not a post-draft free agent. He can play so I expect he'll end up on an NFL team this summer. I just don't think he's likely to go in the middle of the draft.
I would too but I'm not talking about what's likely, I'm just talking about potential strategies. I don't think it's likely that the Vikings will bring in anyone who could even remotely be perceived as a challenger for the QB position. I fully expect them to keep all of their eggs in the Bridgewater basket and in a year or two they'll either be extending his contract or they'll be right back to where they were in 2011 and (sorry Cassel fans) 2014, when they practically had to draft a QB in the first few rounds. I suspect Taylor Heinicke is all the challenge Bridgewater's going to get (and admittedly, Heinicke showed some potential last summer).
In the end, I think there is very little difference between our views on this issue.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Mothman wrote: I suspect Taylor Heinicke is all the challenge Bridgewater's going to get (and admittedly, Heinicke showed some potential last summer).
I did see something about the Vikings being one of the teams to plan to interview Michigan (former Iowa) QB Jake Ruddock. He apparently lit it up at Michigan's recent Pro Day.

Jake was not invited to the NFL Combine, so not sure what that might mean for Jake in the draft
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mondry wrote: For sure, now that his legs are no longer a factor he's been exposed for the extremely poor pocket passer that he is. It completely changed how you defend him now.
I think the reports from Cooley, the fake concussion, the insecurity with Cousins, the OL not helping him up after sacks, all add up to a picture of a guy who's problems are not primarily physical. I don't think he's liked or respected. That's just my take on him. I certainly hope a new start gives him a chance to bounce back.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: If, for example, Paxton Lynch were to get past the Rams and others and fall to the Vikes at #23, I'd seriously consider drafting him. I doubt Spielman will though and despite all the BPA talk around here, I doubt many Vikes fans would approve of a move like that either. :)
The only one I would consider drafting at 23 is Goff and I highly doubt he ever falls there. I don't trust Lynch or Wentz. But to draft a QB in round one for us doesnt make much sense. I like the QB depth in this draft. Hackenberg, Hogan, Cook would be nice in middle to later rounds and I would be all for that but I'm not for a QB in round 1. Do what Washington did and look for a guy in the 3rd or later. I want Hill the hell out of there and I like Heinecke. Although that would leave us with no veteran leadership which i think is very important.

Either way, I still stick by WR in round 1. There is good QB depth in this draft so spend your first round pick elsewhere. Spielman has said before that they seriously look into how deep these positions are in each draft and the least depth is at the WR position which tells me thats where they go in round 1.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PsyDanny wrote: I did see something about the Vikings being one of the teams to plan to interview Michigan (former Iowa) QB Jake Ruddock. He apparently lit it up at Michigan's recent Pro Day.

Jake was not invited to the NFL Combine, so not sure what that might mean for Jake in the draft

I don't know but it's interesting info! Thanks.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Either way, I still stick by WR in round 1. There is good QB depth in this draft so spend your first round pick elsewhere. Spielman has said before that they seriously look into how deep these positions are in each draft and the least depth is at the WR position which tells me thats where they go in round 1.
I understand your reasoning but even though the depth of a position in the draft is a consideration, it's one among many. It should influence the choice but it shouldn't dictate the choice.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

if we examine slick ricks method of BPA ...and knowing what they have done so far by eliminating
obvious needs in OL, LB and Safefty

The most likely BPA is going to be a DL because its the deepest group
second most likely is OLB

third most likely is TE/OG

fourth is going to be RB

if we factor in the way teams have been drafting a DL, LB, TE or OG are the most likely
first vikings picks with a RB thrown in for flavor.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:if we examine slick ricks method of BPA ...and knowing what they have done so far by eliminating
obvious needs in OL, LB and Safefty

The most likely BPA is going to be a DL because its the deepest group
second most likely is OLB

third most likely is TE/OG

fourth is going to be RB

if we factor in the way teams have been drafting a DL, LB, TE or OG are the most likely
first vikings picks with a RB thrown in for flavor.
I think Spielman's method is more than just BPA, it also seems to focus on "special" players with tremendous athleticism and impact potential in the early rounds. I think that's one reason we haven't seen much in the way of OL selections in early rounds under him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

fiestavike wrote: I think Spielman's method is more than just BPA, it also seems to focus on "special" players with tremendous athleticism and impact potential in the early rounds. I think that's one reason we haven't seen much in the way of OL selections in early rounds under him.
Yep I agree, Barr, Patterson, Hunter, they love physical freaks they can turn into football players. (or try to at least!)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mondry wrote: Yep I agree, Barr, Patterson, Hunter, they love physical freaks they can turn into football players. (or try to at least!)
McKinnon, Kendricks, Rhodes, Waynes...they seem to like fluid athletes and high measurable guys early on.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

C'mon Rick, just take Fuller in the 2nd. He's Marvin Harrison 2.0 and he even has a shiny gold helmet!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

that is BPA .. the difference is the way Spielman measures them ...

I think too many GM's put too much value on experience, height, school they came from..

Mckinnon tested very high, but was downgraded by many because of height and school he
played at.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:that is BPA .. the difference is the way Spielman measures them ...

I think too many GM's put too much value on experience, height, school they came from..

Mckinnon tested very high, but was downgraded by many because of height and school he
played at.
How about something like this: BPA stands for Best Prospect Available, not Best Player Available when it comes to Spielman?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Speaking to reporters from the NFL owners meetings in Boca Raton, Fla. on Wednesday, Zimmer said he thinks repairing the offensive line will better improve the 29th-ranked offense than bringing in a new receiver.

“I think that if we fix this one area [offensive line], I think it’s going to help [Bridgewater] a lot more than getting a receiver in here,” Zimmer said, via Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press. “If we can protect for him, be better in our play-action game…we can be more effective offensively and it will allow him to throw a lot more than having a great receiver.

“Teddy was running for his life half the time.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... -receiver/

Well said, Coach! :thumbsup:
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

losperros wrote: http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... -receiver/

Well said, Coach! :thumbsup:
That's coach speak for "We are looking are WR in the first round but want to try to let everyone know we are not looking at a WR so it makes it easier for us to draft who we want."
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966