2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by mansquatch »

I know this is a bit of a derail, but it is probably with considering how much of the risk aversion is Teddy and how much of it is the coaching. I think it is both, but I'm not sure of the breakdown. Zimmer has often said that the lack of turnovers has really helped the defense. He has also pointedly said that Teddy needs to take more risk. I wonder if there is a bit of an adjustment on both sides going on...

Sorry to side track, back to Boldin.

FWIW, I think if the OL fixes actually work we'll see a measurable improvement in the passing game regardless of who is catching the ball.

UPDATE: I threw this question out in the TB thread. Carry on.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Zimmer: I like signing other team's first-round picks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ound-picks
"I like having first-round draft picks that leave other places," Zimmer said, via 1500 ESPN in Minnesota. "Because they have pedigrees."

Zimmer also signed Michael Griffin, formerly the No. 19 overall pick by the Titans in the 2007 draft, in free agency this year.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Texans released Brian Hoyer today

Should the Vikings drop Hill and pick up Hoyer? I think he would be an upgrade for the right price and a decent backup
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Texans released Brian Hoyer today

Should the Vikings drop Hill and pick up Hoyer? I think he would be an upgrade for the right price and a decent backup
I bet there will be a few other teams checking him out. Who knows maybe even the Bronco's
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Line signs.....http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... ent-tender

not really a fan but O well.....
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Texans released Brian Hoyer today

I would do it if it's possible. Hoyer is very familiar with Turners offense as well and a lot younger than Hill.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I would do it if it's possible. Hoyer is very familiar with Turners offense as well and a lot younger than Hill.
He'll want to go somewhere with a shot at starting. Realistically, that's not here.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Hoyer to the Pats feels like a lock at this point with Brady being gone for the first four weeks. Pat don't like to spend money on backups so someone could throw some $ at Hoyer. Hill is getting $3M this year which is about $2M more than he is worth. Kind of doubt Hoyer gets a deal that's much better than $3M/yr this late into free agency.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote: He'll want to go somewhere with a shot at starting. Realistically, that's not here.
That's what I think as well. And there are some desperate teams out there like Denver and the Jets.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: That's what I think as well. And there are some desperate teams out there like Denver and the Jets.
Any team that views Hoyer as a viable starting QB for next year considering how he's played the last few years ... that's the very definition of desperation. Almost akin to throwing in the towel.

If I was Elway I'd feel a lot better with Sanchez as the presumptive starter than I would Hoyer. Same thing with the Jets, I think they would blink and give Fitzgerald his money if the only other option was Hoyer.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Hoyer to the Pats feels like a lock at this point with Brady being gone for the first four weeks. Pat don't like to spend money on backups so someone could throw some $ at Hoyer. Hill is getting $3M this year which is about $2M more than he is worth. Kind of doubt Hoyer gets a deal that's much better than $3M/yr this late into free agency.
You think they would prefer Hoyer over Garrapolo, week 1?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I doubt a team that signs Hoyer is expecting him to take them to the playoffs. They might have different motivations, ie stop gap or bridge player.

Look at it from Hoyer's point of view. He gets paid a few million a year to be a back up QB. I'd take that gig any day of the week. Ponder is in the same boat. As much as we all hated the guy, we'd all love that gig.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I doubt a team that signs Hoyer is expecting him to take them to the playoffs. They might have different motivations, ie stop gap or bridge player.

Look at it from Hoyer's point of view. He gets paid a few million a year to be a back up QB. I'd take that gig any day of the week. Ponder is in the same boat. As much as we all hated the guy, we'd all love that gig.
yeah getting paid 3-4 million a year for 4-5 years and retiring with a small self contained house on a golf course, would be sweet.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Hoyer would be a much needed upgrade over Hill and like was mentioned he played well for Cleveland when Turner was there. Hoyer isn't amazing or anything but I'd feel much better about our chances of winning regular season games with him over (the) hill.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Foles got released today...Shurmur was his offense coordinator for the Eagles when he had the big year.
Foles would be an improvement over Hill.