Vikings sign LG Alex Boone, formerly of the 49ers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings sign LG Alex Boone, formerly of the 49ers

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings agreed to terms with OG Alex Boone, formerly of the 49ers per Adam Schefter
Love this signing. Got a good guard and didn't have to pay near as much as Oakland did for Osemele
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings sign LG Alex Boone, formerly of the 49ers

Post by allday1991 »

Glad we are making attempts to improve our oline :D what are the details to his contract?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote:Glad we are making attempts to improve our oline :D what are the details to his contract?
Haven't been released yet
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Gordon Shumway
Practice Squad

Post by Gordon Shumway »

I suppose this means that Harris will not be returning.

Move Fusco back to RG and park Boone at LG?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Boone is a very solid guy and
Should lock in at LG. I am not
sure if Harris gone or not but
Boone is an upgrade over Harris
from day one.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hmm...
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote:Boone is a very solid guy and
Should lock in at LG. I am not
sure if Harris gone or not but
Boone is an upgrade over Harris
from day one.
Well Harris plays RG soooo....
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Fusco is not a lock at this point, thus Harris could compete with him for the starting spot, which is a positive. Regardless, our interior OL just became more talented. I would expect 4-8 games of growing pains, it will take time for these guys to learn to play together. It is part of why wholesale OL changes are almost never done in the NFL. Very happy with this signing, the 49ers OL was the class of the NFL while Harbaugh was there.

This makes the Draft much more interesting. With this signing and presumed comeback by Sullivan and Loadholt the dire need for a day 1 pick is less acute than it was yesterday. I wonder if we are in the Reggie Nelson sweepstakes.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Nice signing, that 49er's o-line was always pretty beast so hopefully he can bring some of that here with him. This makes us better from day 1 and also takes care of our biggest need, exactly what I hoped for. Target needs in FA and BPA in the draft, this will allow us to continue down that path which has stocked this team up nicely with young talent. He'll be 29 by the time the season starts but that's still young enough to be in his prime for most / all of his contract depending on length.

Spielman for mvp!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/3/9/1 ... oone[quote]

Strengths: He has been a strong guard for the 49ers, but when he has filled in for Joe Staley due to injury, he has been as good, and possibly better. My guess is he wants to play tackle somewhere, but either way, you get tremendous versatility with Boone. He's a behemoth of a man, and can have the kind of nasty in-game edge you want in your linemen. The 49ers primarily ran a lot of power, but began a switch to more zone blocking this past year. He was solid enough this year, but I can't say for certain how he might switch to a more regular usage of zone-blocking.

Weaknesses: While he has an edge on the field, there are times where I am not quite sure what to make of his attitude. After Jim Harbaugh left, Boone was interviewed in an HBO special and he mentioned how Harbaugh was a hard-####, and while it worked initially, "after a while, you just want to kick his ####. . . . He just keeps pushing you, and you're like, ‘Dude, we got over the mountain. Stop. Let go.' He kind of wore out his welcome." - Considering the 49ers had lost Super Bowl 47, and lost a pair of NFC title games, that rubbed fans the wrong way to a certain degree. I don't think he's lazy or anything like that, but that has kind of stuck in my mind.
[/quote]
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It's a start...

... a good one. However, I hope it's just a start.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:It's a start...

... a good one. However, I hope it's just a start.
I'm intrigued by the potential T flexibility. Osemele reportedly had the same. Considering returning Vikings Tackles both have question marks and are on one year deals, players that could start at T next year, and G this year are interesting options.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

fiestavike wrote: I'm intrigued by the potential T flexibility. Osemele reportedly had the same. Considering returning Vikings Tackles both have question marks and are on one year deals, players that could start at T next year, and G this year are interesting options.
Yep good start, we could be talking about our new T here and not LG.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

definitely just a start.

I hope he has his head on straight...he has had a HX of DUI trouble...so prolly a good fit for the Vikes...it seems we get a lot of rehab cases.

Hope they keep Harris, not Fusco/Kalil.

Still not sure about Clemmings, perhaps he can learn from Boone and benefit from his presence.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

chicagopurple wrote:definitely just a start.

I hope he has his head on straight...he has had a HX of DUI trouble...so prolly a good fit for the Vikes...it seems we get a lot of rehab cases.

Hope they keep Harris, not Fusco/Kalil.

Still not sure about Clemmings, perhaps he can learn from Boone and benefit from his presence.
They are keeping Kalil. They would get no cap space by cutting him once his contract is guaranteed. Fusco would provide very little cap relief. Just have to hope these guys dramatically improve next year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins