2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by dead_poet »

slapnut19 wrote:why does everyone assume that clemmings can't improve as a player? i believe he was only the 2nd rookie in team history to start every game at right tackle. i get that he struggled at times, but what 4th round rookie doesn't? i'm excited to see what he can do if he starts at left tackle. we've had to watch overrated kalil struggle for the better part of three seasons now. even if clemmings can be average he will still be an upgrade.
That's a mighty big "if." What gives you confidence? I mean, he was a train wreck at RT. Let's see what he can do on the left, a position he only started dabbling with in OTAs in his entire football career! What can go wrong?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

dead_poet wrote: That's a mighty big "if." What gives you confidence? I mean, he was a train wreck at RT. Let's see what he can do on the left, a position he only started dabbling with in OTAs in his entire football career! What can go wrong?

idk, maybe the idea that young players can improve? it may be a foreign concept to viking fans, but plenty of teams don't have first round talent guys playing left tackle. just look back to last year's super bowl teams. i think maybe both were undrafted players. i'm not saying clemmings will be better than kalil, but the idea that he is our only option for that spot just doesn't fly with me.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

slapnut19 wrote:
idk, maybe the idea that young players can improve? it may be a foreign concept to viking fans, but plenty of teams don't have first round talent guys playing left tackle. just look back to last year's super bowl teams. i think maybe both were undrafted players. i'm not saying clemmings will be better than kalil, but the idea that he is our only option for that spot just doesn't fly with me.

It's evident from his performance last year that he has a LONG way to go and playing the left side is more difficult than playing the right side. His game would have to take a quantum leap forward this season for him to be a better option than Kalil at left tackle. Its certainly possible that he could improve (he needs to if he's going last in the NFL) and it's even possible he could improve so much that he'd be a good left tackle but the idea that he can do that in just one offseason seems like a fantasy.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

charger pass rush isn't overpowering by any means, but clemmings held up pretty good yesterday, and seemed to work pretty well with boone in the run game.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Clemmings was terrible last year, there is no denying that, but he was a late round developmental prospect thrust into a starting role by an injury. His results last season are not exactly out of the ordinary given that set of circumstances. There is no reason to think he can't be better, although that much better this season is probably a stretch. Trial by Fire can be a good thing, I'm sure it accelerated his learning curve.

He could be better on the left than the right, especially if that is a more natural position for him. I'm not saying he is, just saying it is possible.

Don't get me wrong on any of this, Clemmings film is what it is. I just think at this point in his career the guy deserves to be cut some slack given the circumstances of his playing time.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

"He's going to be a handful until I get him squared away, but I love this kid."

Mike Zimmer on rookie CB Mackensie Alexander
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

#Vikings TE MyCole Pruitt had his MRI come back negative on his leg. Has a sprained medial collateral ligament (MCL). Out about 2-to-4 weeks
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:
A handful; funny.

I'm excited to see our secondary develop in the next three years.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:
Whew...

Cold is temporary. Purple Pride is forever.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
Does that improve Morgan's chances to make the team?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Does that improve Morgan's chances to make the team?
I think he would make it anyway, but may be one of the inactives.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

#Vikings safety Antone Exum had his left knee in a brace after Sunday's game. He'll seek a 2nd opinion. Initial word = a month or so injury.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

hope he is okay but i didn't expect him to make the squad this year with two safeties getting added
veteran and Kearse
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Jim wrote,
Does that improve Morgan's chances to make the team?
I could see Morgan making the team over several guys we had last season .. line, Pruitt and maybe even ellison

Morgan has a real strong combination of blocking and ball skills. Its almost as if you put Ellison and Pruitt
together and get Morgan. Line ... lets face it a lot of teams don't carry a FB anymore ...but with Norv who
knows... Norv did say in a presser, " I think Morgan might have the best hands on the Team." I know a huge
part of what Norm did in Sand Diego to pull defenders away from the line was a 7-8 yard crossing route in front
or right behind the LB's Gates was the master of that play.
Last edited by jackal on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

jackal wrote:hope he is okay but i didn't expect him to make the squad this year with two safeties getting added
veteran and Kearse
Me neither but Griffin hasn't been all that great.