Mike Zimmer: Time for Teddy Bridgewater to 'take charge'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Mike Zimmer: Time for Teddy Bridgewater to 'take charge'

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Not necessarily...

Many of us are just hungry for a really good QB and one of those crazy NFL passing games that doesn't finish in the bottom third of the league almost every year. I hear that kind of QB can actually help a team win a Super Bowl! ;)
He's on the roster. He wears #5.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: He's on the roster. He wears #5.
:roll:

It's ridiculous to suggest he's at that level yet. You might think he is. or firmly believe he can get there, but by NFL standards, he's simply not a really good QB.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: :roll:
Are you at least agnostic about it, or have you officially given up on him?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
It's ridiculous to suggest he's at that level yet. You might think he is. or firmly believe he can get there, but by NFL standards, he's simply not a really good QB.
Its pointless to try to convince one another, so keep in mind I'm merely sharing my thoughts, but if you track his throws where he is able to step up in the pocket, he's on par with the best. If you track his throws where he's under pressure, he minimizes the damage. That's championship football. I expect him to continue getting better, but he's already shown himself capable of playing the position extremely well.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Are you at least agnostic about it, or have you officially given up on him?

I'm agnostic. His performance and production thus far place him firmly in the lower ranks of NFL starters as far as I'm concerned. He has to play better or the Vikes will need to move on in a year or two. He's shown promise but promise isn't enough. He has to become a much more assertive, effective QB and he has to be able to do it on a consistent basis.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Jordysghost wrote:Uh, you may wanna toss Bridge outside and let him get acclimated with the conditions, because I dont think you want a dude who has to play in GB and Chi town to be some soft dome body.
He might get used to cold weather, and he might he a tough sob. Unfortunately his arm strength is mediocre. He is a mediocre QB. He's better than Trent dilfer, so we can win big games since we have a strong overall team. I'm with Randy Moth(man) here though. Let's start looking for plan B BEFORE plan A fails.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

cmoss84 wrote: He might get used to cold weather, and he might he a tough sob. Unfortunately his arm strength is mediocre. He is a mediocre QB. He's better than Trent dilfer, so we can win big games since we have a strong overall team. I'm with Randy Moth(man) here though. Let's start looking for plan B BEFORE plan A fails.
:lol: That's a new one!

Very creative. :appl:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Have to agree with the people who aren't sold on Teddy. They were 31st in passing last year. That isn't anywhere close to getting the job done. How bad would the pass game be without defenses focusing on AD? Teddy has experience, weapons, and stability as far as coaching and scheme.The offensive line should be better with the free agent signings and Sporano. It's time for Teddy to step it up and be more than a game manager.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It's time for Teddy to get some production, and AD to blow all rushing titles away. But our pathetic Oline, which we are waiting at least another year on, probably 2, doesnt give either the chance. How many times does AD have to get hit in the backfield before we upgrade one of, if the the most important, parts of the offense.

Teddy is a decent scrambler, but it doesn't give him as much as as a lot of the other QB's in the NFL. Treadwell should help. Hitting Tread and Kyle (we should have some TE's blocking so Kyle doesnt have to stay back and help) for 10 yard+ passes, along with some 1st downs, and maybe a TD or 2, will get the defenses away from the line, and AD still has the juice to do major damage.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:It's time for Teddy to get some production, and AD to blow all rushing titles away. But our pathetic Oline, which we are waiting at least another year on, probably 2, doesnt give either the chance. How many times does AD have to get hit in the backfield before we upgrade one of, if the the most important, parts of the offense.

Teddy is a decent scrambler, but it doesn't give him as much as as a lot of the other QB's in the NFL. Treadwell should help. Hitting Tread and Kyle (we should have some TE's blocking so Kyle doesnt have to stay back and help) for 10 yard+ passes, along with some 1st downs, and maybe a TD or 2, will get the defenses away from the line, and AD still has the juice to do major damage.
The optimist would say that adding Boone, Smith, Sullivan and Loadholt is going to lead to a much better performance.

If you were measure the Offensive Lineman last year like we used to measure women's appearance, from 0-10, I personally would assign them as follows.

Matt Kalil - 4
Brandon Fusco - 2
Joe Berger - 5
Mike Harris - 5
TJ Clemmings - 1

A unit total of 17 out of 50.

Kalil is back again. I expect him to be closer to his career average of 2-3
Boone was not exactly praised to the heavens by 49er fans. I'm guessing he'll be a 5.
Sullivan, if he's healthy will probably be a 6-7, and Berger is insurance as a steady 5.
RG has Harris as insurance at 5. If Andre Smith slides in, or Fusco returns to form, I hope we get to a 6 or 7 there.
Loadholt has never been great, but along with LG its a position that could see the most improvement this year. I'll assume Loadholt gives career avg 5-6.

Assuming everyone is/stays healthy That would create a unit total of around 22-28.

It would be a significant improvement, but still a long way from the kind of line I would like to have. And its all stacked with guys on short term deals (other than Boone) so it doesn't promise a lot of continuity...which means we're in the same boat next year. Its the most frustrating part of the team, and the area where Spielman has not done a great job. I'm just hoping Sparano turns out to be a Mike Tice/Tom Cable kind of miracle worker, and puts together a unit that manages to wildly out perform my expectations.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote:It's ridiculous to suggest he's at that level yet. You might think he is. or firmly believe he can get there, but by NFL standards, he's simply not a really good QB.
By NFL standards he's a pro bowler :D
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: By NFL standards he's a pro bowler :D
It was fun to see how the league MVP performed in one game against similar pressure to that which Teddy faced all year...he turned into a quitter.

I don't care how much Dannon Oikos they tried to throw in on the deal, I wouldn't be interested.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:lol: You've got me there, Cliff.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Well, yes, if enough NFL quarterbacks refuse to show up for the game. :P
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

losperros wrote: Well, yes, if enough NFL quarterbacks refuse to show up for the game. :P
I was just kidding. He hasn't proved he's what most of us would consider "pro bowl" level. Even though the Pro Bowl *is* (supposed to be) the standard for being a really good NFL player, Teddy going to it says more about the pro bowl than it does him and I'm a huge Teddy fan.