2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transactions)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:If Zimmer actually goes into nest season with no further improvements to the WR core.. well..

I think Jennings is only unsigned because he wants more then he deserves, for vet minimum I think he would be a solid signing.

As to the Browns and Jaguars, I think doing exactly the opposite of what ever it is they do, would be prudent, I also think that believing Jennings lack of interest directly correlates to lack of ability is quite flawed.

Yes, we're seeing market forces at work and when it comes to some of the remaining free agent players, it's a buyer's market. They aren't all unworthy of contracts.

Anyway, it's tough to say how much Jennings still brings to the table. Signing him is an idea worth considering but, of course, it would likely mean releasing a younger WR. Depending on how the Vikes feel about those their current WRs, and what Jennings can bring on a (likely) short term deal, they may decide he's not worth it.

I think there will be further changes to the receiving corps. I expect them to draft a WR if nothing else.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

My main point is that right now if you are a GM you are stupid to sign someone for anything other than a lowball deal. Factor in league minimums and the remaining unsigned players are likely to stay that way until Training Camp. I'm sure some of them will get picked up before the season starts, but why buy now when the market for these guys will only deteriorate with time? Put another way, it is quite likely that Greg Jennings will be available in August.

To me a key question at WR is if any addition to the roster can improve upon Wallace's mediocre production? For that matter, why does someone think the current occupants of said roster cannot equal Wallace's pedestrian numbers? Many have argued that CP84 could have helped last season, so is it a stretch to think he could not have at least equaled Wallace's production? I think staying with the current group is at worst a push from last season in terms of production, which is why I think playing with what they have is the route they are going in addition to addressing the protection up front.

I think if they draft a WR it will be for the future more than for this season. A new guy could certainly have a breakout season and that would be great, but I think the odds are that this will not happen. I will be happy if I'm wrong about that, but I'm not convinced they are set at drafting WR unless BPA rears it's head. If there is a defensive playmaker available, I expect they'll grab him. Especially if it is a LB or S.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

One thing I think you're missing is that teams might be waiting to see how the draft goes before plugging remaining holes. Demand on some of these remaining FAs might pick up a bit once the draft is over
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

VikingPaul73 wrote:One thing I think you're missing is that teams might be waiting to see how the draft goes before plugging remaining holes. Demand on some of these remaining FAs might pick up a bit once the draft is over
I'm not missing that, I'm accounting for it. The market for these guys will be the same or worse between now and then. So again, why spend now? The GMs are holding all the cards right now, so they can afford to wait. Who else is beating down Greg Jennings' door right now?
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:My main point is that right now if you are a GM you are stupid to sign someone for anything other than a lowball deal. Factor in league minimums and the remaining unsigned players are likely to stay that way until Training Camp. I'm sure some of them will get picked up before the season starts, but why buy now when the market for these guys will only deteriorate with time? Put another way, it is quite likely that Greg Jennings will be available in August.

To me a key question at WR is if any addition to the roster can improve upon Wallace's mediocre production? For that matter, why does someone think the current occupants of said roster cannot equal Wallace's pedestrian numbers? Many have argued that CP84 could have helped last season, so is it a stretch to think he could not have at least equaled Wallace's production? I think staying with the current group is at worst a push from last season in terms of production, which is why I think playing with what they have is the route they are going in addition to addressing the protection up front.

I think if they draft a WR it will be for the future more than for this season. A new guy could certainly have a breakout season and that would be great, but I think the odds are that this will not happen. I will be happy if I'm wrong about that, but I'm not convinced they are set at drafting WR unless BPA rears it's head. If there is a defensive playmaker available, I expect they'll grab him. Especially if it is a LB or S.

I agree with this......I would not be happy if you are wrong about that though. Both my gut feeling and my preference wants another stud defender chosen in round 1. I know I am in the minority here when it comes to not wanting to go WR in round 1 so flame on lol. Should be interesting to see how the first 2 days of the draft plays out for the Viks.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

autobon7 wrote:
I agree with this......I would not be happy if you are wrong about that though. Both my gut feeling and my preference wants another stud defender chosen in round 1. I know I am in the minority here when it comes to not wanting to go WR in round 1 so flame on lol. Should be interesting to see how the first 2 days of the draft plays out for the Viks.
Actually I think you are in the overwhelming majority. It seems that most posters don't think the top WRs are worthy of pick #23 and would prefer either OT or D for that pick.

Am I wrong?
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I don't know...seems like there are a lot on here that want to go WR. I'm not on everyday so it's sometimes hard to follow along so maybe it's more of a discussion than preference. I for one hope they do not go WR in round 1/2
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Chase Ford is a free agent. Was released this week by the ravens.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

autobon7 wrote:I don't know...seems like there are a lot on here that want to go WR. I'm not on everyday so it's sometimes hard to follow along so maybe it's more of a discussion than preference. I for one hope they do not go WR in round 1/2
Maybe it's 50-50? I don't know.

I want to go WR at #23, if that WR is Treadwell or Doctson. I think those two are solid and would help us immediately. If we go with another position in the 1st, I'd love to get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, but I do see a pretty serious drop off in talent after the top 2 guys, unlike a fair number of posters here. We have a lack of talent at the position IMO. It certainly is not the main culprit of our passing game woes, but it is one of them, so we need to address it.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I like Chase Ford. And I like anything that frees up Kyle to be in situations where he is a target as a receivers.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I like Chase Ford. And I like anything that frees up Kyle to be in situations where he is a target as a receivers.
I do too. He really did well what he was askrd to do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I am for BPA ! If it's Treadwell, then I want Treadwell. If someone slips, then that's who I want.
I want the most talented team out there.
I am a fan of the DT talent. I see depth at a lot of positions, but not necessarily top end talent depth at all of those.
Probably good roster talent. This to me would be the year to trade up and sacrifice draft picks if we targeted a player.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

IIsweet wrote:I am for BPA ! If it's Treadwell, then I want Treadwell. If someone slips, then that's who I want.
I want the most talented team out there.
I am a fan of the DT talent. I see depth at a lot of positions, but not necessarily top end talent depth at all of those.
Probably good roster talent. This to me would be the year to trade up and sacrifice draft picks if we targeted a player.

You may just be right.....if there is a "must have" that will not be there at 23 then I could see that happening.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm all in for BPA. At Pick #23, all kinds of scenarios can play out. Remember the Sharif Floyd pick a few years ago when he dropped due to "small arms"? Heck AP was a BPA pick.

Since we still have two weeks before the draft I just figured it was worth debating the merits of WR. FWIW, if they do pick a WR and he turns out to be a solid player for us I'll still be happy!

At this point, the success of this offseason is going to revolve around how right or wrong the organization (both GM and Coaches) are about the passing game issues being mostly derived from the poor play of the OL. Injuries could muddy that water on that front, but when you look at what they've done that is essentially the position they've taken, at least so far.

Now they might also think WR needs more talent and that the guys in FA were not the right fit to solve that problem. In which case we'll likely see them go the draft route. We've also heard Zimmer say we need to get better with the guys we have. That could be draft day shenanigans, but at least for me, I'm taking Zimmer's word for it. They've tried to add FA WR twice now and gotten little return for the cap hit. It is plausible that they might now have a bad taste in their mouth for FA WR. It also might be that they are thinking about the future and the need to sign their defensive core to new contracts in the coming years, in which case a big FA WR contract in not desirable.

All speculation/conjecture on my part, but that is how I'm reading the tea leaves. $.02 and all of that.

My guess is they are going to draft defense on Day 1. I think it'll be LB or DL.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:I'm all in for BPA. At Pick #23, all kinds of scenarios can play out. Remember the Sharif Floyd pick a few years ago when he dropped due to "small arms"? Heck AP was a BPA pick.

Since we still have two weeks before the draft I just figured it was worth debating the merits of WR. FWIW, if they do pick a WR and he turns out to be a solid player for us I'll still be happy!

At this point, the success of this offseason is going to revolve around how right or wrong the organization (both GM and Coaches) are about the passing game issues being mostly derived from the poor play of the OL. Injuries could muddy that water on that front, but when you look at what they've done that is essentially the position they've taken, at least so far.

Now they might also think WR needs more talent and that the guys in FA were not the right fit to solve that problem. In which case we'll likely see them go the draft route. We've also heard Zimmer say we need to get better with the guys we have. That could be draft day shenanigans, but at least for me, I'm taking Zimmer's word for it. They've tried to add FA WR twice now and gotten little return for the cap hit. It is plausible that they might now have a bad taste in their mouth for FA WR. It also might be that they are thinking about the future and the need to sign their defensive core to new contracts in the coming years, in which case a big FA WR contract in not desirable.

All speculation/conjecture on my part, but that is how I'm reading the tea leaves. $.02 and all of that.

My guess is they are going to draft defense on Day 1. I think it'll be LB or DL.

Good post....... :appl: As far as day one I'd like to see a LB or DB. I still have high hopes for Audie Cole though.