On the clock the Vikings trade #23 for.....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

On the clock the Vikings trade #23 for.....

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Joe Thomas and Josh Gordon!

Would ya?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: On the clock the Vikings trade #23 for.....

Post by fiestavike »

Depends what we've done prior to the draft and who's on the board, but probably yes.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

There's no way that would be enough.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

dead_poet wrote:There's no way that would be enough.
You gotta believe.

Make it happen rick.
Formerly AADPFan
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

No.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

Yes! Didn't even have to think about it.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

No.

Joe Thomas turns 32 next season and Josh Gordon has barely played in the past two seasons. The MO for this team is to now keep the young core together. They have to keep building through the draft to get that young and cheap talent. When contracts come up, they're able to re-sign all these guys they already have. You don't do that by paying big money to aging veterans. Not to say that they shouldn't spend any money at all, but I wouldn't do it for anyone over the age of 30. Thomas will cost too much. Not only against the salary cap, but the opportunity cost of missing out on what they can get with their first round pick.

There's way too much uncertainty in Gordon's case. It would be much easier to convince me about Joe Thomas, as Gordon's a hellllll no. Not only are you losing your first round pick, but you can't be certain that after a full season -- and a huge chunk of another season -- out of football, that Gordon will come onto the team and produce right away for the Vikings -- a team that needs him to produce right away. Not to mention the most concerning aspect of Gordon in that he still hasn't shown he's matured and can follow rules long enough to not let his team down. It's too risky that he messes up again and gets suspended.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Nope.

Parlay that first round pick into a higher pick to take someone like Myles Jack, or trade down. I am not sure that this draft is first-round heavy. I feel like there is better quality and value in rounds 2 to 5.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

The wouldn't be worth it in any single way shape or form.

Not only would you need to give up more for those players, even if they went for it as stated above, it wouldn't be worth it, Thomas is 32, Gordon has barely played the last two years and has major off field issues.

Worst of all, you would inherit their cap hit, which, would definitley not be worth it for a 32 year old and headcase WR.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Gordon doesn't get paid much, thomas is at like 7.8 mil a year. That's not too much for a perennial pro bowl tackle.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Gordon doesn't get paid much, thomas is at like 7.8 mil a year. That's not too much for a perennial pro bowl tackle.
FYI Thomas carries a $9.5 million contract/cap hit this year. In 2016 he's the third highest-paid LT. The average salary of his contract is/was $11.5 million.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Nope.

Parlay that first round pick into a higher pick to take someone like Myles Jack, or trade down. I am not sure that this draft is first-round heavy. I feel like there is better quality and value in rounds 2 to 5.
If we were to move up I would rather have jaylon smith outta notre dame than Jack.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I wonder if Spielman will not be as trade happy this year? Coming off a winning season we do not have the same draft equity as if we were coming off a losing season. (our picks are lower) I doubt we are totally hamstrung, but it will be more expensive for us to move up that it would have been last season.

If you want to see a GM under fire go look at Packer land. There is a fan mutiny against the no FA signing strategy.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

mansquatch wrote:I wonder if Spielman will not be as trade happy this year? Coming off a winning season we do not have the same draft equity as if we were coming off a losing season. (our picks are lower) I doubt we are totally hamstrung, but it will be more expensive for us to move up that it would have been last season.

If you want to see a GM under fire go look at Packer land. There is a fan mutiny against the no FA signing strategy.

I think he would if the opportunity presents itself and the offer provides value, but I agree...He may not need to press so hard to make something happen considering the core of this team is just about in place. We're really looking at a few positions needed and then anything else are depth plays. Trust Spielman, they could definitely make due by drafting the best player available with where they are in the first round.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PacificNorseWest wrote:
I think he would if the opportunity presents itself and the offer provides value, but I agree...He may not need to press so hard to make something happen considering the core of this team is just about in place. We're really looking at a few positions needed and then anything else are depth plays. Trust Spielman, they could definitely make due by drafting the best player available with where they are in the first round.
Given the talent we're getting and having to make more difficult cuts to get to the 53 each year, he may trade up sacrificing quantity for perceived quality. I know he usually likes to end with 10 selections but I wonder how that philosophy changes with an improving roster.