For Vikings in the offseason, there's work to do

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: For Vikings in the offseason, there's work to do

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: :lol: Thanks for the amusing reply, Mondry. Sorry I didn't quote the whole thing...
:lol: it's all good, I'm only half.. no quarter way serious anyway!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote: :lol: it's all good, I'm only half.. no quarter way serious anyway!

I have to say, if the Vikings not only won a Super Bowl but did so on the strength of a power running game and a dominant defense, I'd be over the moon. That's my kind of football!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

This is a good read on Sparano/Shurmur and why Zimmer hired them.

http://purpleptsd.com/2016/02/26/10700/
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

the article was interesting I am wondering how father and son coaching staff are going to handle
shared duties with two ex NFL head coaches. granted Turner has much more experience. I am
hoping Turner focuses a lot more on quality control and operations and lets the others call more
plays. I like norv but he seems a little stubborn.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
I have to say, if the Vikings not only won a Super Bowl but did so on the strength of a power running game and a dominant defense, I'd be over the moon. That's my kind of football!
You might get your wish... :D
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: You might get your wish... :D
Can I have a wish too?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote: Can I have a wish too?
negatory.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

The preseason and training camp is going to be interesting this year.
What changes and improvements are we going to see?
I'm anxious to see what improvement Tony makes with the offensive line. I feel there will at least one player that will be a surprise to us. Hopefully they will be moderately improved from last season.
Still worried we haven't been hearing that much about Sully. Other than he is coming along.

With Shurmur the tight ends coach...I just wonder if we're going to see the tight ends get a lot more involved with pass catching. It would take some pressure off of Teddy and the WR's. When he was with the Eagles he liked getting the TE's involved.

Should be and interesting preseason.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the first time some 300# guy lands on Sully's back, he will be back on the bench. Its delusional to expect him to be our starting guy on OL. Even if he does beat out the competition, there is little chance he would finish the season. Fusco is just a journeyman, proven clearly and shouldnt be more then a back up player on any true contender. Given all this I really expect to see 2 new starters on the OL. Loadholt has been really great so we need to pray he fully recovered and Clemmons, well this is his year to sink or swim. Kalil....he is the endless hope that never comes through...time to move on. I wish we could trade him for a punter......

Our offense was pretty pitiful last year. The passing game was non existent downfield. The running game was OK but only because AP can (or could) get yards with absolutely NO help from the OL (in fact they cost him yards via stupid penalties). Its easy for folks to forget just how anemic the OL was. It has GOT to be fixed if we have any real hopes of being a contender.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm not ready to give up on Fusco, he was good on the right side. That plus the competition leads me to believe we'll be okay at RG. Picking up Martin in the 3rd would be a great insurance policy for Sully.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Fusco should win out his spot at RG, if not we can figure it out at that point.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Going to be interesting to see how much Tony can coach these guys up. Then we will know where we stand on the line.
I would like to see us pick up a tackle and center through the draft.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

i want to see at least one early pick for the O-line. Mainly to give Kalil some competition. If it turns out that he was just injured last year and he comes on again then great. If not, then we'd have somebody to bring in to replace him. Then hopefully Teddy won't have to be running for his life as much. I believe if the issue at LT is sorted, then our Line would be solid enough to work with.
Apart from that, i'd like to see the same as everyone else. A decent value pick at WR, another explosive LB (the young lad from the Buckeyes would do here for me) and a safety to give the Hitman some help.
That would be a fine draft.