The case for keeping Mike Wallace

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: The case for keeping Mike Wallace

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Its like I'm in the twilight zone. I haven't read any comments which don't recognize the need for improvement. If being optimistic about what we've seen so far indicates that those of us who like Bridgewater's game think he's flawless or have our head in the sand then I guess I'd be guilty, but since nobody is saying that, its just a lie.
A lie I never spoke or wrote (and Craig didn't either). You're referring to a straw man position you just invented.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Jennings fits Teddy's strengths but didn't fit Norv's scheme. Wallace fits Norv's scheme but his 1 strength didn't match up well with Teddy -AND- the O-line's weakness
The problem is that Teddy and Norv's scheme are a mismatch. Something needs to give.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Mothman wrote: The problem is that Teddy and Norv's scheme are a mismatch. Something needs to give.

This :confused:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: The problem is that Teddy and Norv's scheme are a mismatch. Something needs to give.
I agree, it's up to Norv really since there is no drill or workout to increase football throwing arm strength. I do think we saw "something give" when Norv finally removed a big portion of his 7 step drops against ARI, CHI and NYG and we saw just how effective Teddy is in that kind of offense and getting the ball out quicker suddenly even our horrible O-line looked not so bad.

We definitely need more of that and one thing that could help is a guy like Doctson over Wallace. Outside of Rudolph, none of our guys can be trusted to win a 1 on 1 contested ball and trust / throwing into tight windows was an issue for Teddy and for good reason. A big problem was that we had to leave Rudolph in to block in our max protect formations so that eliminated Teddy's most trusted target from the play. Improving the O-line is big in that regard, just being able to send rudolph out on routes every single pass play will make a big difference.

The big worry of course is that once the o-line improves, Norv will go right back to the 7 step drops and deep vertical routes. That would be a mistake. But bringing in sparano and shurmur tells me Zimmer want's more offensive minds with experience in the building capable of receiving a promotion and moving up to OC should Norv once again put such a putrid offense (statistically) out there. I think this is his last chance to get results.

I can't put the blame on Spielman because all reports say Norv's input was a key component of trading up and selecting Teddy. Given Teddy's success so far I don't see how Spielman goes against that input and drafts a (so far in their young careers) worse QB in Carr to try and "fit" the system of the OC who want's Bridgewater! That would be extremely unlikely to ever happen.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

So you are saying we might see this exchange next February:

Typical Media Puke: "Coach Zimmer why didn't you renew Norv Turner's contract?"

Coach (Greatest since Grant) Zimmer: "I didn't want to"
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Thinking about the trust issue more, it wasn't an issue in college as far as I know. He had a great connection with Davante Parker (6'3, 209 pounds) and I think Doctson (6'4 190, guessing he needs to bulk up!) fits a similar profile. Though not as fast and probably not as talented as Parker overall, I do think he'd be a much better fit for Teddy than Wallace and with wallace gone I'm starting to come around to the idea of taking Doctson with our first if there isn't an equally talented LT or lineman there.
mansquatch wrote:So you are saying we might see this exchange next February:

I would guess it would be a bit different for Norv. I wouldn't rule out Norv "retiring" and them mutually parting ways.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Thinking about the trust issue more, it wasn't an issue in college as far as I know. He had a great connection with Davante Parker (6'3, 209 pounds) and I think Doctson (6'4 190, guessing he needs to bulk up!) fits a similar profile. Though not as fast and probably not as talented as Parker overall, I do think he'd be a much better fit for Teddy than Wallace and with wallace gone I'm starting to come around to the idea of taking Doctson with our first if there isn't an equally talented LT or lineman there.
I would guess it would be a bit different for Norv. I wouldn't rule out Norv "retiring" and them mutually parting ways.
Supposedly Scott Turner's role gradually expanded during the course of last season so maybe their plan is for Norv to eventually retire and for his son to step in as OC.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:So you are saying we might see this exchange next February:

I would be ok with this....... :thumbsup:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I was mostly going for humor value. If Norv turns us around I'm all for him staying. All sins forgiven if we start getting results. (without cheating)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I was mostly going for humor value. If Norv turns us around I'm all for him staying. All sins forgiven if we start getting results. (without cheating)
Aw, no cheating? :(
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i couldn't agree more with wallace. bridgewater is one of the worst starting qb's in the nfl and his statistics basically support that statement on every level. after we get the line fixed what will be the excuses for him next year? i can't wait to hear them. after next year bridgewater will not be the starter for the vikings.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mosscarter wrote:i couldn't agree more with wallace. bridgewater is one of the worst starting qb's in the nfl and his statistics basically support that statement on every level. after we get the line fixed what will be the excuses for him next year? i can't wait to hear them. after next year bridgewater will not be the starter for the vikings.
I'm guessing if at the end of three years Teddy still hasn't put it together people here will feel like they did about Ponder. For whatever it's worth, I wanted him to have 3 years too. Perhaps that isn't a good idea on my part (not that my choice mattered) but when you draft a player in the 1st round and they do everything asked (work hard, team player, make progress, etc, etc) then I feel they should get a decent shot. Three years for an NFL QB, to me, is a decent shot.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Wallace clarifies comments. Pitchforks down.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /81880946/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: Aw, no cheating? :(
As an admirer of the 2000's Patriots, I know you must be bitterly dissapointed. (Pats Mothman on the back)
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

LOL at Wallace's comments. Is he Bi-polar? Wonder if he blames his drops on Teddy too, and at some later time, will bring them up.