The case for keeping Mike Wallace

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: The case for keeping Mike Wallace

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Wallace clarifies comments. Pitchforks down.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /81880946/
... and torches snuffed? :lol:

Thanks for the link!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

To me it odes not matter if he made a bitter comment or not. The guy had a a little success with Big Ben and capitalized on it, big time.

He had decent touchdowns two seasons ago but seemed to be a headache for IMO a bad coaching staff. IMO he is guy that only plays great

when everything goes his way. I saw him drop a lot of balls. I think his snaps would have profited the Vikings more with two other three of are

other wide outs/Tight Ends getting those snaps, especially Wright.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cliff wrote: I'm guessing if at the end of three years Teddy still hasn't put it together people here will feel like they did about Ponder. For whatever it's worth, I wanted him to have 3 years too. Perhaps that isn't a good idea on my part (not that my choice mattered) but when you draft a player in the 1st round and they do everything asked (work hard, team player, make progress, etc, etc) then I feel they should get a decent shot. Three years for an NFL QB, to me, is a decent shot.
I agree. Bridgewater should get his three years. If he shows marked improvement with a better OL blocking for him, then that's going to tell all of us a lot. Actually, I think any player drafted in R1 should get three years to develop their craft, especially if talent is present. They also need playing time. The NFL game is not a walk in the park. That's why I think any player that makes a roster spot in the pros must be a darn good athlete.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

losperros wrote: I agree. Bridgewater should get his three years. If he shows marked improvement with a better OL blocking for him, then that's going to tell all of us a lot. Actually, I think any player drafted in R1 should get three years to develop their craft, especially if talent is present. They also need playing time. The NFL game is not a walk in the park. That's why I think any player that makes a roster spot in the pros must be a darn good athlete.
I don't think I could agree with the three years argument, or that they should be given playing time. There are times a guy is clearly not cut out for it, even if they are a RD1 pick, and there are other times when the guys playing in front of him are just better, or the guy isn't ready to be on the field, or the situation around him is so poor that it might not be wise to put the guy on the field. In my opinion, you could almost say that about Teddy last year. If we were talking about a player who wasn't as poised and psychologically sturdy as Teddy, it would have been a mistake to put a young QB behind that line. Ponder crumbled and never recovered under less weight than that, as have many many other qbs.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: I don't think I could agree with the three years argument, or that they should be given playing time. There are times a guy is clearly not cut out for it, even if they are a RD1 pick, and there are other times when the guys playing in front of him are just better, or the guy isn't ready to be on the field, or the situation around him is so poor that it might not be wise to put the guy on the field. In my opinion, you could almost say that about Teddy last year. If we were talking about a player who wasn't as poised and psychologically sturdy as Teddy, it would have been a mistake to put a young QB behind that line. Ponder crumbled and never recovered under less weight than that, as have many many other qbs.
Who is an example of someone who made it apparent that they were clearly not cut out for it? Favre was pretty awful in his limited playing time prior to becoming, so was Rodgers first two years and Steve Young.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:
Who is an example of someone who made it apparent that they were clearly not cut out for it? Favre was pretty awful in his limited playing time prior to becoming, so was Rodgers first two years and Steve Young.
That's a fair question. As a Vikings fan, Christian Ponder comes to mind. Probably guys who are psychologically unfit for it flame out first, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell? From Ponder's class I think Jake Locker pretty obviously had a low ceiling, and Blaine Gabbert could be another example.Vince Young, RGIII and several other qbs who came out swinging, I think were pretty much exposed within 3 years. Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer. Obviously its easy to name guys who failed and point to them as examples, which I'm trying not to do. For example, I still thought it was possible David Carr could turn it around, and that his struggles were more related to the surrounding cast, but I think he was broken by the experience (at least that's conventional wisdom). These are just a handful of guys who I recall were pretty unimpressive and I think we all knew weren't going to make it in the NFL within 3 years time. Usually by year 2 I think.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: That's a fair question. As a Vikings fan, Christian Ponder comes to mind. Probably guys who are psychologically unfit for it flame out first, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell? From Ponder's class I think Jake Locker pretty obviously had a low ceiling, and Blaine Gabbert could be another example.Vince Young, RGIII and several other qbs who came out swinging, I think were pretty much exposed within 3 years. Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer. Obviously its easy to name guys who failed and point to them as examples, which I'm trying not to do. For example, I still thought it was possible David Carr could turn it around, and that his struggles were more related to the surrounding cast, but I think he was broken by the experience (at least that's conventional wisdom). These are just a handful of guys who I recall were pretty unimpressive and I think we all knew weren't going to make it in the NFL within 3 years time. Usually by year 2 I think.
Honestly I don't think RG3, Rick Mirer or Vince Young fit that description at all, even Leaf had two decent games before it was clear he wasn't the guy.

I think if you think those guys made it quickly apparent that they weren't cut out for the league, you may have ended up letting go a few very, very talentred and successful players.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote: Honestly I don't think RG3, Rick Mirer or Vince Young fit that description at all, even Leaf had two decent games before it was clear he wasn't the guy.

I think if you think those guys made it quickly apparent that they weren't cut out for the league, you may have ended up letting go a few very, very talentred and successful players.

It seems to me that the ingredients of composure and courage under pressure are the biggest factors that might rule a guy out within 3 years. Guys that don't have that, aren't going to make it. All the guys above have some great attributes, but I think they lacked the most essential elements.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Wallace failed his conditioning test...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... oning-test