What the Vikings (and fans) can learn from SB 50

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: What the Vikings (and fans) can learn from SB 50

Post by Mothman »

Here's the point I was trying to make yesterday, articulated much more clearly by Ben Goessling:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... or-vikings
The flip side, however, is this: The Vikings' window to contend is opening precisely at a moment where top NFC teams such as Carolina, Arizona and Seattle also boast nasty defenses, and even the Packers made strides on that side of the ball.

The Vikings might not need their offense to be the identity of their team, but coach Mike Zimmer has made it clear he expects more from the group than he got this year. Zimmer will expect development from quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and better protection from the Vikings' offensive line, but ascending in the NFC could mean the Vikings will have to produce in playoff games against formidable defenses. Given the makeup of the teams in power at the moment, it's hard to foresee a championship path for Minnesota that doesn't involve an ability to at least stand up against a great defense.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote:Here's the point I was trying to make yesterday, articulated much more clearly by Ben Goessling:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... or-vikings
I'm not worried at all, they already produced against all of those teams, including denver who wasn't mentioned in that list. If we get past the Panthers next year it'll be our superbowl to lose.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:I'm not worried at all, they already produced against all of those teams, including denver who wasn't mentioned in that list. If we get past the Panthers next year it'll be our superbowl to lose.
I admire your confidence but I wonder if you're just pushing my buttons. :)

The Vikings offense scored a total of 9 points in 8 quarters against Seattle. Throw in Patterson's TD return and they managed a whopping 16 points in those two games. That's "producing"?

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: I admire your confidence but I wonder if you're just pushing my buttons. :)

The Vikings offense scored a total of 9 points in 8 quarters against Seattle. Throw in Patterson's TD return and they managed a whopping 16 points in those two games. That's "producing"?

*********Half of that being played in temps so cold that the hottest QB in the nfl managed a single TD

that's a pretty massive disclaimer that needs to be added to the low numbers there. It didn't happen in a vacuum
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:*********Half of that being played in temps so cold that the hottest QB in the nfl managed a single TD

that's a pretty massive disclaimer that needs to be added to the low numbers there. It didn't happen in a vacuum
No, but the lower of the two numbers (which was 0) occurred in better conditions. That weather disclaimer cuts both ways too. Considering how hot Seattle's offense had been in most of the games leading up to that one, it seems quite possible that the limiting conditions were one of the main reasons the Vikes were able to hold them to just 10 points. In better conditions, would the Vikings have been able to contain Wilson so well?

It's possible the answer is yes. There's no way to know.

Look, I'm just trying to be realistic here. Disclaimer or not, isn't it a stretch to imply that the Vikings offense produced at a level that should inspire confidence when they played Seattle last year? 9 points in 8 quarters is enough?

For that matter, they didn't do so great against Green Bay either (13 points per game from the offense).