Vikings OL and GM discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings OL

Post by mondry »

fiestavike wrote:
You are spot on. The game is always adapting, and most defenses, I think would have a more difficult time against that sort of offense today. A Derrick Henry, Eddie Lacy type back will, I think have success in the right situation by taking advantage of the smallish defenses they tend to face. I remember Houston during the run and shoot days opting to spread teams out, make them get fast (small) and then inserting bigger backs like Lorenzo White. I think the Packers are trying to build something similar in fact, but got derailed by injuries last year. Lacy running against 5 and 6 DBs is a scary proposition if he's able to clear the first level.

Anyway, more to your point, will teams have the personnel on their 53 to match up against a really effective "big" power running team if they also have to have the personnel to matchup with all the Tom Brady, Peyton Manning type offenses?

Last year, as you said, the Vikings couldn't impose their will at all. The whole offense had to be reactive, both running and passing, and it was pretty smart to be hyper-conservative in those circumstances. Getting a consistent 2-3 yard push in the run game with Peterson's strength and speed behind it would make for a lot of 2nd and short situations...and probably a lot of 1st and 10's followed immediately by another 1st and 10.

I'm not convinced or even especially optimistic that the line is going to be much better this year..but I'm hoping!
Yeah, there's a couple things that could be advantageous. 1. What impact will Sparano have on them, can he get more out of our Kalil's and Loadholts? 2. IF healthy, how much improvement will we see simply because of that. 3. There are a lot of guys in play now, if even one "unknown" has a great camp and wins a job that would obviously be huge. 4. IF boone plays well next to Kalil, does that help him any? I'm not convinced it does but it's a narrative I've seen thrown around a lot.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings OL

Post by dead_poet »

I've been thinking...what about drafting Whitehair as a LT (rather than his projected LG) to compete with Kalil? It seems like the Whitehair-Vikings train lost steam after the Boone signing but we still need quality depth at LG (what do we do if Boone is injured?) as well as talented LT depth/potential Kalil insurance/competition in the short and long-term.

What say you?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I've been thinking...what about drafting Whitehair as a LT (rather than his projected LG) to compete with Kalil? It seems like the Whitehair-Vikings train lost steam after the Boone signing but we still need quality depth at LG (what do we do if Boone is injured?) as well as talented LT depth/potential Kalil insurance/competition in the short and long-term.

What say you?
I have my doubts about his ability to play LT in the NFL but I'm all for drafting him. He's good, he's versatile and there would certainly be no harm in trying him at LT in mini-camps and training camp to see what he can do.
Denardus
Backup

Post by Denardus »

dead_poet wrote:What say you?
There was also talk (somewhere, don't remember where I read it) of Boone being able to play, and maybe even wanting to play T. I think i'd rather have Boone slide out to LT and Whitehair play LG. At least for the first year or so assuming Whitehair comes up to NFL speed and lives up to expectations. Then maybe they could swap, but if it's working I might not change until Boone's contract is up. If they are thinking OL at 23, and Decker is available, he might in the long run, be a better LT prospect.

We could always put Fusco back at LG :gone: Unfortunately i would not be surprised (barring a draft pick G) that Fusco does not end up the #1 back up at LG.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I have my doubts about his ability to play LT in the NFL but I'm all for drafting him. He's good, he's versatile and there would certainly be no harm in trying him at LT in mini-camps and training camp to see what he can do.
What are your concerns? If it's arm length it seems that's been debunked.

https://lbolineperformance.com/do-long- ... ly-matter/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... t-ot-play/

Joe Thomas, for example, has nearly identical arm length. Whitehair's excellent balance and footwork are assets as much at tackle as they are at guard. His size is a little light (6'4/301) but I'm not sure he'd be less effective at tackle because of that. The opposite might be true. Really big hands (10 1/8") and mirrors well. It's a thought anyway.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:What are your concerns? If it's arm length it seems that's been debunked.

https://lbolineperformance.com/do-long- ... ly-matter/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... t-ot-play/

Joe Thomas, for example, has nearly identical arm length. Whitehair's excellent balance and footwork are assets as much at tackle as they are at guard. His size is a little light (6'4/301) but I'm not sure he'd be less effective at tackle because of that. The opposite might be true. Really big hands (10 1/8") and mirrors well. It's a thought anyway.
I don't care about his arm length.

As I said, I'm fine with giving him a shot to compete at tackle. He obviously has experience there. However, he's widely projected as a guard, he thinks guard is his best position and it's his favorite position. It seems a more natural position for him too. When it walks like a duck and talks like a duck... ;)

I don't think the Vikes need to draft him as a tackle or as a guard they can just draft him because he's a good, versatile lineman and figure out where they want to play him from there.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I don't care about his arm length.

As I said, I'm fine with giving him a shot to compete at tackle. He obviously has experience there. However, he's widely projected as a guard, he thinks guard is his best position and it's his favorite position. It seems a more natural position for him too. When it walks like a duck and talks like a duck... ;)

I don't think the Vikes need to draft him as a tackle or as a guard they can just draft him because he's a good, versatile lineman and figure out where they want to play him from there.
I'm good with that. I hadn't read that guard was his preferred position. Good to know.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Arm length came up! Yay!

Obligatory :whistle:

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings OL

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote:I've been thinking...what about drafting Whitehair as a LT (rather than his projected LG) to compete with Kalil? It seems like the Whitehair-Vikings train lost steam after the Boone signing but we still need quality depth at LG (what do we do if Boone is injured?) as well as talented LT depth/potential Kalil insurance/competition in the short and long-term.

What say you?
DP
I would like to see us draft a LT because I don't feel we have that much depth on the left side.
Is Whitehair going to slip into the 2nd round. Not sure he is worth #23
Would you move up in the 2nd round to get him?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

During an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio during this weekend's 2016 NFL Draft, Vikings' head coach Mike Zimmer made the announcement that T.J. Clemmings was going to be moving from right tackle to left tackle.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/30/ ... eft-tackle
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

He was awful on the right side and has never played on the left. What could go wrong?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote:He was awful on the right side and has never played on the left. What could go wrong?
A repeat of his rookie year... :whistle:

It was unfortunate last year that TJ got throwed right into the starting lineup. In the Draft some of the analyst predicted him being a left tackle.
With Beavers and TJ, Sparano is going to have his work cut out for him. Kalil needs someone challenging him anyway.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote: A repeat of his rookie year... :whistle:

It was unfortunate last year that TJ got throwed right into the starting lineup. In the Draft some of the analyst predicted him being a left tackle.
With Beavers and TJ, Sparano is going to have his work cut out for him. Kalil needs someone challenging him anyway.
There's no way in hell Beavers will challenge Kalil for starting left tackle. Decker may have, but Beavers? No way.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: There's no way in hell Beavers will challenge Kalil for starting left tackle. Decker may have, but Beavers? No way.
Sorry DP : maybe I come across wrong. I think Beaver's is going to be taking Clemmings old spot.
I meant both players is going to take a lot of work from Sparano.