Vikings OL and GM discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Vikings OL

Post by jackal »

in the Everson video (mic'ed up) you see Kalil getting burned by Griffen and Teddy would have been
killed, by the defensive end... I am not sure how much of a contact drill it was, but Kalil does not slow him
down; by even a inch on the play, in the video :steamed:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I am VERY much a pessimist about this year. I feel we did very little to upgrade our OL to a level suitable fora super bowl contedner. On top of that Loadholt retired (which I had always suspected might occur given his injury, which can be a career ender). We also are depending on a guy with chronic low back problems to "anchor" our line and be the verteran voice out there. I doubt he will last even 8 games. All this was rather predictable and the lack of aggression by the front office to land some solid veteran OL players is a foolhardy gamble in a team that is supposed to be peaking. Teddy needs to prove himself this year, but a feeble OL will prevent us from learning if we have a REAL QB for yet another year. Peterson is getting late in his career and the clock is ticking there too. They need to drop some big bucks on the damn OL!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

and yes, Kalil sucks and will be a chronic liability...every one BUT the Vikes seems to know this.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

So... is it panic time with the OL? It seems like all of the competition and depth we had has completely disappeared :(
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:So... is it panic time with the OL? It seems like all of the competition and depth we had has completely disappeared :(
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:rofl:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Thanks for the laughs. It's been kinda serious around here lately.

3 more days till kickoff.

GameDay gamethreads here we come!
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

That 11million they are paying Kalil could have went a long ways towards suring up the OL.
My concern is a OL where there was going to be so much competition is now getting pretty thin with talent.

Hopefully Sparano can get someone to step up. Of course he isn't a miracle worker either.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This has been beaten to death, but if they had let Kalil walk who would they have brought in to play LT?

Guys who can play that position at a competitive level in the pros are not exactly dime a dozen. Kalil got paid in part because of a very tight labor market. You can argue all day that he doesn't deserve the pay check, but if you are the only guy able to do a job, even if you are medioce at it, and the market is $11MM a year and someone needs the services, then you are going to get paid. That is all there is to it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:This has been beaten to death, but if they had let Kalil walk who would they have brought in to play LT?

Guys who can play that position at a competitive level in the pros are not exactly dime a dozen. Kalil got paid in part because of a very tight labor market. You can argue all day that he doesn't deserve the pay check, but if you are the only guy able to do a job, even if you are medioce at it, and the market is $11MM a year and someone needs the services, then you are going to get paid. That is all there is to it.
I agree 100%. Many people on here just keep saying "cut him" and think we would have no problem finding a LT better than him. But as you said, there is an extremely tight market for them. I've brought this up before on here. If you're going to say "cut him" then at least give me a viable option to replace him. My guess is, nobody is finding one.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I agree 100%. Many people on here just keep saying "cut him" and think we would have no problem finding a LT better than him. But as you said, there is an extremely tight market for them. I've brought this up before on here. If you're going to say "cut him" then at least give me a viable option to replace him. My guess is, nobody is finding one.
They had options in FA and they also had draft options...but choose not to go that route.
What if Kalil would get injured....who do we have?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote: They had options in FA and they also had draft options...but choose not to go that route.
What if Kalil would get injured....who do we have?
Clemmings apparently took reps there with Kalil out the other day. Sounds like he might be next man up, as sad as that sounds. If Kalil is out my preference would be for Boone to kick to LT, Berger at LG, Sully at C, Fusco RG and Smith RT.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Let's just hope they stay healthy.
Yeah Kalil has issues, but I feel like he's better than the random alternative we'd have otherwise. (Which would likely be someone who's on the roster right now, and isn't starting over Kalil anyway.)

The OL has issues. And as questionable as Kalil has been, I honestly don't feel like he's going to be the guy we're focused on once the games start. They started putting something together when he was drafted. And it feels just as unwieldy now as it was then.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If they can stay healthy and pass block it's going to
be a real good year.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!