Next Season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Next Season

Post by Mothman »

This is encouraging. Gil Brandt has written a column about the 6 NFL teams with the biggest Super Bowl window in the next three to five years. The Vikes are #5:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... wl-windows
5) Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota had some bad losses, including the opener (to the 49ers) and, of course, the wild-card heartbreaker to the Seahawks. But the Vikings are an ascendant team. The defense, which ranked fifth in points allowed, is powered by several good, young players, like Everson Griffen, Harrison Smith, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Linval Joseph and Danielle Hunter. Hunter is a gem who picked up six sacks and really came on at the end of the year. Teddy Bridgewater improved quite a bit in his second pro season; I think the hard-working quarterback can keep getting better under coordinator Norv Turner. And, of course, there's running back Adrian Peterson, who showed he's still got it at 30. Peterson led the NFL in rushing despite working behind a so-so line, and I think he's got a great chance to do it again next year.

The Vikings are by no means perfect -- they need to add some speed at receiver, and Bridgewater has room to grow. But it looks like the Packers are a bit of a descending team, making the NFC North more of an open division than it's been in some time. Plus, playing in a brand-new stadium should provide a boost. Minnesota is simply trending in the right direction for long-term success.
The other teams are:

1.) Carolina
2.) Seattle
3.) Pittsburgh
4.) Cincinnati
6.) New England

He also added:
The Raiders nearly made the cut -- in fact, they'd be in the top 10 -- but I think they're still a year or so away from true contention.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I don't know that we need to add speed to our receivers, they're all 4.3-4.4 type guys. We just need more playmakers and sometimes that doesn't show up on a stopwatch.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:I don't know that we need to add speed to our receivers, they're all 4.3-4.4 type guys. We just need more playmakers and sometimes that doesn't show up on a stopwatch.
I really wanted them to pick up DeVante Parker to pair with Teddy. They had great chemistry at UofL.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: I really wanted them to pick up DeVante Parker to pair with Teddy. They had great chemistry at UofL.
Me too. We'll see how the Waynes pick fares. Of course with Parker's injury he wouldn't have contributed much last season anyway.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:This is encouraging. Gil Brandt has written a column about the 6 NFL teams with the biggest Super Bowl window in the next three to five years. The Vikes are #5:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... wl-windows
The other teams are:

1.) Carolina
2.) Seattle
3.) Pittsburgh
4.) Cincinnati
6.) New England

He also added:

I think at this point New England is simply rolling the dice on No serious injuries for Brady. He is a phenom and he takes care of himself but 38 is 38 and 39 is 39 if he suffers a serious injury (broken bones, high ankle sprain, shoulder or elbow injury) something that a 20 something could recover from in the off season, I think he would come back the next year but that will be looked at as the turning point to a downward spiral.

If I were the Patriots I would be investing in an Offensive Line beyond anything else. I would shoot for under 15 sacks on brady for the year next year. You keep him protected I could seem him playing until 44.