Shurmur hired

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Re: Shurmur hired

Post by John_Viveiros »

For me, this is the most fascinating offseason for the Vikings in a long time. We canned some guys! Too many weight room injuries (pectoral injuries, McKinnon's back, etc.)? Move on to someone else. Offensive line isn't improving? Bring in another guy. Need some help with the offense - put the combined knowledge of three former head coaches on it.

Frankly, this looks like an organization that is saying, "We don't give a darn about division titles and 11-5 records. We're playing to win it all. If someone's feelings get hurt by losing their job if their unit is underperforming, then that's the price they are going to pay." Zimmer and Spielman aren't satisfied with a division title, and are going to try everything they can do to get this team into the Superbowl.

Betcha the same thing happens with players when the time comes. But if cuts come, the organization has to do something with the salary cap savings. I'm guessing one big free agent signing, and a couple contract extensions.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Demi wrote:Guy had a couple different horrible offenses before Philly...an offense that went through Chip. Not sure I trust this guy to improve the offense...
Anything is better than turner, and by anything I mean they can have a frog picking plays on a play card and it would turn out better
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I find it a bit odd that Vikings.com has been silent about the Shurmur hire. I suppose if his official title is yet to be determined then the staff has no idea how to write about it.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

maybe Turner is going to move too assistant head coach quality control...

the Vikings are going to have a lot going on with stadium opening and moving training
facility (i.e. winter park) in the next two seasons.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

Breaking.
Shurmer will be the tight ends coach
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Here's a link to the announcement on the team's website:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 45477c9636

Current TE coach Kevin Stefanski will coach RBs.

:lol: This should revolutionize Turner's scheme!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting. I wonder if he'll have some unnamed duties and/or a coach-in-waiting if Turner retires/is let go in the next year or two. Should have fun with Pruitt. Wonder if he can make Rudolph faster.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Looks like he has a good deal of experience with TEs (and offensive lines and QBs)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

It amazes me we landed him as a TE coach. Either theirs more too it behind the scenes or Zimmer pulls more weight than we thought. Seems he's got the respect from everyone in the league, not just his players.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

First Tony Sparano and now Shurmur...we're ex head coach heavy. It wouldn't hurt my feeling if these guys got more involved with game planning duties. I would like to see someone smooth out Teddy's rough edges also.
The Shurmur hire does kind of have me puzzled.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

It wouldn't hurt my feeling if these guys got more involved with game planning duties.
Considering his offenses his two stops before Philly, it might end up hurting your feelings watching what he brings to the offense.

Had a successful offense in Philly...with Chip's offense.

Not sure I trust this guy to fix anything.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Too many cooks...
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

What are the odds Cowher will be willing to be our long snapper coach?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:What are the odds Cowher will be willing to be our long snapper coach?
Or Bud Grant as our left defensive end coordinator?

Cold is temporary. Purple Pride is forever.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

IrishViking wrote:Too many cooks...
I'm not worried about this... Zimmer seems to have, or at least be developing, good control of his team...

Cold is temporary. Purple Pride is forever.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018