Vikings set to interview former Eagles OC Pat Shurmur

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings set to interview former Eagles OC Pat Shurmur

Post by VikingLord »

I'm sure Shurmur would be brought in to work with Teddy and not to replace Turner as OC. It's possible he could be leverage for future negotiations with Turner as well, but just like Zimmer saw coaching issues with the offensive line, I think he sees a real need for someone with experience to coach up Bridgewater, especially heading into his 3rd year. If Bridgewater fails to make progress, Zimmer will then have confidence that the issue is more with the player and less with other things.

I'll be more interested to see if Shurmur takes the job. It's not exactly a step up for him.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mondry wrote: I'd love to see him replace Norv, I didn't give it that much thought when this thread first opened but maybe it can grow some legs. The bottom line is Teddy doesn't really fit an Air Coryell vertical passing game so then you gotta make a decision. Do you value Teddy as your future / franchise QB more than you value Norv and his offense as OC? If it's Teddy then you gotta make the change, he's young, it's not like he's locked into playing in an Air Coryell system, if he plays 15 years in the league that's 13 in the new offense and 2 in this one, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Was looking into Shurmur's wiki page to get a better idea about him and he's done some interesting things.

"In 2002, Shurmur was named the team’s quarterback coach. In that role, Shumur helped shape Donovan McNabb into the most prolific passer in Eagles history. McNabb holds nearly every Eagles career passing record, and in 2008, he set Eagles single-season records with 345 completions and 3,916 yards. In 2004, Shurmur and McNabb helped guide the Eagles to their first Super Bowl appearance since the 1980 season."

Mcnabb was a special talent so let's keep that in mind when giving Shurmur credit there but this is part of the theme I noticed is that wherever he goes the QB has their best stats of their career under him.

"On January 21, 2009, Shurmur was hired by Steve Spagnuolo to be the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.

He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.

Shurmur also made a tangible impact on Sam Bradford’s immediate success as a rookie in 2010. The first-overall pick out of the University of Oklahoma set NFL rookie records for most consecutive passes without an interception (169) and most completions (354). Under Shurmur’s tutelage, Bradford finished the season with a 60.0 completion percentage, 3,512 yards and 18 touchdown passes, winning the AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award."

Sounds like something we could use, low turnovers, improved scoring, improved 3rd down %, more yards. Not to mention once again he gets the most out of the QB under him with Bradford basically having his best year as a Ram.

"Another reason for the hire was Shurmur's past success of developing young quarterbacks such as McNabb and Bradford. The Browns selected quarterback Colt McCoy in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, and in McCoy’s first season with Shurmur as his coach, the former University of Texas standout posted the best season of his professional career to date in 2011, throwing for 2,733 yards and 14 touchdown passes in 13 games."

Obviously Mccoy wasn't much to work with as far as talent but once again he "had his best season under shurmur"

"Working alongside new head coach Chip Kelly, Shurmur helped orchestrate one of the most efficient offenses in the NFL. Shurmur led an offense that set a number of team records, including points (442), total net yards (6,676), touchdowns (53), passing yards (4,406) and fewest turnovers (19) en route to an NFC East title. Additionally, the Eagles set an NFL record with 99 plays of 20+ yards"

"Shurmur’s unique ability to develop young talent at the quarterback position was once again on display in 2013. Second-year QB Nick Foles enjoyed a breakout season under the direction of Shurmur, throwing for 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions while posting the third-best QB rating (119.2) and third-lowest interception percentage (0.63%) in NFL history. Foles also became just the second player in league history to throw for seven touchdowns in a game during a match-up against the Oakland Raiders, and one of three who have done so without throwing an interception."

And once again we have a QB having his "best year of his career" under shurmur, it's interesting to note Nick Foles basically fell off a cliff in STL while Bradford had a solid year in PHI back under Shurmur but was fairly bad with the rams (the years Shurmur wasn't the OC there)

All in all the dude has a nice track record of getting the most out of his QB's, regardless of talent level. I think he'd be a solid addition in any capacity, if he isn't brought on to replace norv it'd be nice to have him in the wings at say QB coach and from there it's an easy promotion to OC if things don't go well next year on O.
Solid post, thanks for the info.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I bet the Rams would be eager to reunite Shurmur with Foles seeing as how Foles had that phenomenal year with Shurmur. Should be interesting.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

autobon7 wrote:I bet the Rams would be eager to reunite Shurmur with Foles seeing as how Foles had that phenomenal year with Shurmur. Should be interesting.
oh yeah, good point, that does make a lot of sense for why the Rams would want to interview him as well.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah, I don't see how this guy would do much for us as an OC
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

jackal wrote:yeah, I don't see how this guy would do much for us as an OC

i can see plenty he would bring. shurmur's experience west coast and spread/zone schemes would bring a lot to teddy and the offense. i'm not a turner fan or a hater but his offense doesn't fit teddy. after two years it's pretty clear that his offense isn't working. peterson's stats and 11 wins are only part of the story.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

slapnut19 wrote:
i can see plenty he would bring. shurmur's experience west coast and spread/zone schemes would bring a lot to teddy and the offense. i'm not a turner fan or a hater but his offense doesn't fit teddy. after two years it's pretty clear that his offense isn't working. peterson's stats and 11 wins are only part of the story.
I agree. I would like to know what jackal's reasons for thinking he wouldnt make a good OC, and yet Norv would. Norv is a lot like Teddy, they both kept their jobs because of AD. With a new OC maybe Teddy gets more passing yard and AD still gets over 1k.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

So they hired Shumur. Not sure what his job is but I think he will help the offense.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Yep they hired Shurmur....maybe he will up Norv's game. Interesting to see what his official title ends up being.

http://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-hire-f ... t-shurmur/