Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

Post by mondry »

Cliff wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ep-indoors

Vikings GM: Bridgewater can take next step indoors
See that, everyone? No doubt. Should I lock the thread?
lol, in my ideal world you should! :P
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ep-indoors

Vikings GM: Bridgewater can take next step indoors
See that, everyone? No doubt. Should I lock the thread?
His next step could be indoors... I guess it depends on where he is at the time he takes it. ;)

Sorry, that was a BAD joke.

I don't see anything controversial in the last statement. He's clearly viewed as an ascending player by many people. Hopefully, he is an ascending player who will get much better. It's been interesting to read comments here and there in the media that imply the coaches asked him to play very conservative football. I'd love to know if that's an assumption based on observation or if they know something we don't...

I hope I didn't post anything too lock-worthy there. :)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: His next step could be indoors... I guess it depends on where he is at the time he takes it. ;)

Sorry, that was a BAD joke.

I don't see anything controversial in the last statement. He's clearly viewed as an ascending player by many people. Hopefully, he is an ascending player who will get much better. It's been interesting to read comments here and there in the media that imply the coaches asked him to play very conservative football. I'd love to know if that's an assumption based on observation or if they know something we don't...

I hope I didn't post anything too lock-worthy there. :)
Well, it's only controversial in that there's plenty of doubt by many people (here at least) that think he's pretty much going to be what he is at this point. Just thought it was funny with all the discussion here about Teddy and where he stands as a player, if he can get better, if so by how much, etc. Seems there are plenty of people with plenty of doubt lol
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings' move indoors could benefit Teddy Bridgewater
In five career games (including four starts) in indoor stadiums or those with a retractable roof, Bridgewater has completed 70.6 percent of his passes, throwing for 1,290 yards and posting a passer rating of 95.1. Three of those games were in 2015, when he fashioned a 101.6 passer rating while throwing for 825 yards and three touchdowns against one interception. Those numbers far outpace what Bridgewater has done outdoors (a 63.8 completion percentage and 85.2 passer rating in 25 games). And in four games where the temperature was below 20 degrees, Bridgewater hasn't thrown for more than 209 yards
http://es.pn/1Knj3iu
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

10% difference...meh.......He needs to show more then a 10% improvement.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings' move indoors could benefit Teddy Bridgewater
http://es.pn/1Knj3iu
Thanks for the link. There's been a lot of online talk about this in the wake of Spielman's comments. I think the line highlighted in bold below is relevant.
Yearly road games against the Bears and Packers mean Bridgewater is still going to have to deal with adverse conditions, and it'd be wise to wait for a larger sample size before assuming Bridgewater's numbers will necessarily take off in an indoor stadium. But when the quarterback has faced (and will continue to face) questions about his arm strength, it can't hurt for him to play more games in situations where he won't have to drive the ball in cold weather. And with nine indoors games, as well as trips to Jacksonville, Tennessee and Carolina on the 2016 schedule, the Miami native should have plenty of days where he can throw in favorable conditions.

Considering the Vikings will be asking for more from their offense as they try to build on an 11-5 season, that's certainly not a bad thing.
That last point is relevant too. Favorable conditions could lead to more favorable results.

The 5 indoor games have been:

2014:
New Orleans (his first regular season appearance)
Detroit

2015:
Detroit
Atlanta
Arizona
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

chicagopurple wrote:10% difference...meh.......He needs to show more then a 10% improvement.
He will! 10% from going in doors, 10% from improved o-line play, 10% from his own development!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mondry wrote: He will! 10% from going in doors, 10% from improved o-line play, 10% from his own development!
Yes! 40% increase! :lol:
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mondry wrote: He will! 10% from going in doors, 10% from improved o-line play, 10% from his own development!
but, that "improvement" won't be improvement to Teddy (except for the last 10 percent) it will just be improvement for his numbers. Teddy could improve 0 percent, but fix the line and I suspect many of his critics will be pretty happy with how Teddy has "improved".
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: but, that "improvement" won't be improvement to Teddy (except for the last 10 percent) it will just be improvement for his numbers. Teddy could improve 0 percent, but fix the line and I suspect many of his critics will be pretty happy with how Teddy has "improved".
Only about 10% of them. :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Only about 10% of them. :lol:
Ok, that was a good one. :appl:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Ok, that was a good one. :appl:
Thanks. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

In the wake of Spielman's comments the other day...

Vikings want Teddy Bridgewater to let 'it loose' more
Spielman's words remind us a bit of a segment from Bruce Arians' A Football Life, where Peyton Manning talks about what the words "open wide receiver" really mean in the NFL. In college, that could mean distance of a yard or more beyond the nearest defender. In the NFL, it might be a window the length of a dollar bill.
... and that's one of the main areas where Bridgewater needs to grow to take his game where it needs to go. He has to do a much better job of recognizing and throwing into those tight windows.