How to Improve the Offense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: How to Improve the Offense

Post by mansquatch »

Keep in mind the Panters can do things we cannot simply because of Newton. Newton is a threat to run on every play on his own, which changes the dynamic of how you defend him. This isn't a knock on the Vikings, just the simple fact that Newton is a very unique player.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

mansquatch wrote:Keep in mind the Panters can do things we cannot simply because of Newton. Newton is a threat to run on every play on his own, which changes the dynamic of how you defend him. This isn't a knock on the Vikings, just the simple fact that Newton is a very unique player.

We are far closer to the Broncos Offense wise than we are the Panthers and I am fine with that. More than any other team this year (including the PATS and Packers) Cam is the engine of his team. I don't think the Panthers are a 5 win team without him playing the way he played this this year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Keep in mind the Panters can do things we cannot simply because of Newton. Newton is a threat to run on every play on his own, which changes the dynamic of how you defend him. This isn't a knock on the Vikings, just the simple fact that Newton is a very unique player.
He also has the kind of arm strength that allows them to threaten the entire field, as the announcers pointed out on yesterday's broadcast.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

The Vikes destroyed the Panthers the last time they played them. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... highlights
I am telling you, this team is an improved o-line away from a championship :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

The droolfest over Cam is interesting to me. I don't deny that the guy had an incredible year this year, but even up until the end of last season, there were doubts about him being the long term answer in Carolina. Heck, in the NFL.com highlights of our game against them last year you can hear the doubts creeping in from Sanders and Irvin. They even put up a stat that he had thrown a pick in 8 straight games at that point. His stat line during that game? 18/35 for 194 with 1 TD and 1 INT. That stat line was pretty much par for the course his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons. His rookie year he threw for over 4,000 yards but still didn't have great numbers anywhere else. His average rating, even including this season? 88.2. Teddy's is 87 (which is higher than both of Newton's first two years).

He's improved his game this year and his running has always been phenomenal, but his offensive line also has something to do with it. He has days to throw behind his line and he's taking advantage of it.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mosscarter wrote:newton is incredible. maybe he really is superman. it just goes to show you what a top notch qb can do and we saw 4 of them playing today. i think palmer was injured more than they let on.
Brady and Manning looked very mediocre to me, they were under pressure constantly and neither team did much offensively, Palmer sucked as well. The Panthers have the best O-line out of the bunch by far and no surprise there Cam had the best day by far. He's also much further along in his development than Teddy and no one thought much about him the last 2 years but things seemed to really click and take off for him, what a year!

TSonn wrote:The droolfest over Cam is interesting to me. I don't deny that the guy had an incredible year this year, but even up until the end of last season, there were doubts about him being the long term answer in Carolina. Heck, in the NFL.com highlights of our game against them last year you can hear the doubts creeping in from Sanders and Irvin. They even put up a stat that he had thrown a pick in 8 straight games at that point. His stat line during that game? 18/35 for 194 with 1 TD and 1 INT. That stat line was pretty much par for the course his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons. His rookie year he threw for over 4,000 yards but still didn't have great numbers anywhere else. His average rating, even including this season? 88.2. Teddy's is 87 (which is higher than both of Newton's first two years).

He's improved his game this year and his running has always been phenomenal, but his offensive line also has something to do with it. He has days to throw behind his line and he's taking advantage of it.
Well said, it just goes to show you that time and time and time and time again it takes a while for these guys to develop and you can't accurately judge them early on and a good O-line can make all the difference.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote: Well said, it just goes to show you that time and time and time and time again it takes a while for these guys to develop and you can't accurately judge them early on and a good O-line can make all the difference.
I think that can be applied to all the offensive skill positions (including Adrian Peterson). All the skill players in the passing and rushing game would benefit from better blocking. I will be disappointed if the Vikings don't search the free agency and draft for OL help. Improving the offense will start where it always does, which is at the line of scrimmage.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote: I think that can be applied to all the offensive skill positions (including Adrian Peterson). All the skill players in the passing and rushing game would benefit from better blocking. I will be disappointed if the Vikings don't search the free agency and draft for OL help. Improving the offense will start where it always does, which is at the line of scrimmage.
Yeah, the trickle down effect works in football (not so much the economy) where when the O-line does it's job you have bigger holes for the running back so he does better. You pass protect longer so the QB does better which means the WR's and TE's do better which means the offense picks up more first downs which means the RB's get more carries and then you can pass more on favorable downs / distances and everyone's happy.

Zimmer and co know that though, that's why they've already made changes and I would put money on 1 or 2 significant upgrades for the O-line this off season from a personnel stand point as well.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote:Zimmer and co know that though, that's why they've already made changes and I would put money on 1 or 2 significant upgrades for the O-line this off season from a personnel stand point as well.
I agree. Heck, the playoff loss was barely over and Zimmer was already making moves regarding the offensive line.