Adrian Peterson -- The elephant in the room

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Adrian Peterson -- The elephant in the room

Post by mondry »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Part of it is that we apparently disagree on the potential of Teddy Bridgewater. He has flaws, but I like his head, and his arm is good enough. I really want to see him play behind a better O-line. He was pressured on like half his throws last year. What can he do if he's not constantly running for his life? I'm not saying he'll be Tom Brady ... I just really want to see.

Either that, or adjust the offense to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Oh wait. Norv's the OC. Never mind.

As for the O-line, the Vikings take the same stance as a lot of teams. They draft linemen low and develop them. IMO, the problem these days with that philosophy is that defensive players are getting so damed athletic and FAST. You've got defensive ends like Danielle Hunter who run 4.5 and are quick and strong. So drafting a lumbering oaf and coaching him up on technique still doesn't make him able to handle the athletic guys we're seeing on the D-lines and LB corps of NFL teams today. I suppose part of it is that if you're a great athlete, you're probably not playing on the O-line. It's a conundrum.

Kalil is just a tragic story, in my opinion. I think he got really banged up, but played through it because he's a tough guy. When you're hurt, you just can't hang with these sick athletes, and maybe you start wondering whether you're good enough. When that happens, when the confidence wavers, you're a liability at a position like left tackle. I mean, he was SO GOOD as a rookie. It's really tragic.
Yep, hence the defense wins championships mantra. You will never build an O-line capable of stopping a pass rush like Denvers just due to the difference in athlete capability so the obvious goal of any team should be to build a ridiculous pass rush and synergize that with cover corners who don't give the QB an easy out to get rid of the football for a positive play.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

You will never build an O-line capable of stopping a pass rush like Denvers
It helps to have backs that can block and pick up blitzes :whistle:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Yep, hence the defense wins championships mantra. You will never build an O-line capable of stopping a pass rush like Denvers just due to the difference in athlete capability so the obvious goal of any team should be to build a ridiculous pass rush and synergize that with cover corners who don't give the QB an easy out to get rid of the football for a positive play.
The way to counter a defense like that is with power running. Let the o-line assert themselves aggressively and take some of the ferocity out of those pass rushers. Force the defense to play the run and then you can throw over those cover corners using play action.

That's the simple version but Super Bowls can be won that way too.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: The way to counter a defense like that is with power running. Let the o-line assert themselves aggressively and take some of the ferocity out of those pass rushers. Force the defense to play the run and then you can throw over those cover corners using play action.

That's the simple version but Super Bowls can be won that way too.
Carolina is one of the better power running teams in the league and they certainly tried but that didn't work either.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Carolina is one of the better power running teams in the league and they certainly tried but that didn't work either.
They didn't exactly commit to it. The point is, that's one way to take on a defense like that and a good reason to build a strong line.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Nothing is possible against a top tier team unless you have a quality OL.....we do NOT. So, run dominated or Pass oriented Offense will make no difference till we have a very good OL. Its a boring facet of the game to many, but it is an inescapable fact.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

chicagopurple wrote:Nothing is possible against a top tier team unless you have a quality OL.....we do NOT. So, run dominated or Pass oriented Offense will make no difference till we have a very good OL. Its a boring facet of the game to many, but it is an inescapable fact.
That.. is a bit of an overstatement, there have been teams that won SBs with o lines that weren't awesome, but it definitley isn't the norm.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I never said awesome...I said a "qualiity OL".....name one team that won with a poor OL....??
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

chicagopurple wrote:I never said awesome...I said a "qualiity OL".....name one team that won with a poor OL....??
Im not trying to constantly bring the Packers into your main forum but honestly, I personally witnessed them win a SB with an O line that really was pretty shabby.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Jordysghost wrote: Im not trying to constantly bring the Packers into your main forum but honestly, I personally witnessed them win a SB with an O line that really was pretty shabby.
It certainly helps having an elite QB....we do not. But hard to progress at any level (on offense) with a shabby OL.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I honestly think going forward we would be better dealing Peterson to Houston or Dallas this offseason

He gets paid almost like a QB and isn't great in pass protection or catching the ball.

He also every season deal with a case of the fumbles in a game or two...

I really was bothered by him coming out in the media complaining last season as well.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I agree.....he is a security blanket that is just an illusion. The rules of the modern game minimize the importance of the RB, the price is too high for him, he cannot pass block and has to be pulled off the field on passing plays which makes our play calling obvious to a blind man, and he always fumbles in important games. Trade him while you can get some quality payers/draft choices, etc.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I agree.....he is a security blanket that is just an illusion. The rules of the modern game minimize the importance of the RB, the price is too high for him, he cannot pass block and has to be pulled off the field on passing plays which makes our play calling obvious to a blind man, and he always fumbles in important games. Trade him while you can get some quality payers/draft choices, etc.
Both teams he wants to go to are desperate for a run game(Houston and Dallas)
I am thinking we could get a second and maybe switch fourth or fifth round.

Having a high second and moving way up in fourth or fifth round
gives us a starter and some quality depth. I think we can get the the
two or three defenders we need to be a great defense. I am hoping we
can get our OL fixed as well. It looks like the TE's are better than the
WR this draft maybe we carry four and five TE's

Hunter Henery is being sold as a Jason Witten clone, Vannett looks like a real good blocker who
threaten downfield.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

chicagopurple wrote:I agree.....he is a security blanket that is just an illusion.
Oh, it's no illusion:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/ ... ns-of-wear
Perhaps more telling is that the Minnesota Vikings win when Peterson is fed the ball. In the two years that Mike Zimmer and Norv Turner have been with the Vikings, the team has a record of 18-14 in the regular season. In the 17 games they had Peterson at their disposal, they’ve posted a record of 12-5. In the 15 games without Peterson, they are 6-9. It’s hard to dispute those numbers.

It’s also difficult to dispute the success the team has had when Peterson runs the ball 18 times or more. In his 17 games of the Zimmer/Turner era, he has rushed 18 times or more in 13 games.
The Vikings are 12-1 in those games.

In the four games Peterson has rushed 16 times or fewer, the Vikings are 0-4.
He makes a big, positive difference and that's why Zimmer worked hard to make sure Peterson stayed in Minnesota last year.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

centering the currrent team all around AP will not get us a super bowl......he limits the team on offense, ha cant contribute on the pass game due to piss poor blocking skills, He didnt contribute much as a receiver, and he fumbles in the post season with disturbing regularity.

IF we could make a killing on a trade, I would NOT condemn Spielman.

On the other hand, if Spielman chose to focus his energies on recruiting some bulldozers on the OL and magnify APs contribution I would also not condemn Spielman. I cant imaging how good AP might be with a real OL.........