Thoughts on Disappointing Seasons & Blair Walsh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: Thoughts on Disappointing Seasons & Blair Walsh

Post by soflavike »

Mothman wrote:Same here. I've long said that games are won and lost over the course of the entire game, not on one play. I understand Reusse's point but Zimmer said it best: Walsh needed to make that kick.
You are absolutely right. He needed to make that kick.

And Peterson needed to hold onto the ball, and Munnerlyn needed to contain Wilson on the botched-snap play, and Sendejo needed to snag that INT and a touchdown would have been nice at some point and oh, what the hell! We are Vikings fans. We know the drill. :v):
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

soflavike wrote: You are absolutely right. He needed to make that kick.

And Peterson needed to hold onto the ball, and Munnerlyn needed to contain Wilson on the botched-snap play, and Sendejo needed to snag that INT and a touchdown would have been nice at some point and oh, what the hell! We are Vikings fans. We know the drill. :v):
:lol:
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Thoughts on the season, Walsh, the kick, the hold, etc.?

Did Locke spin the other kicks earlier in the day when the temperature was 1, 2, 3 degrees colder, should it have mattered, was it atually "too" close, and that made Walsh nervous, was it the "curse?"

Honestly, my thoughts are "thunk" out. I no longer even like Seattle a smidge anymore, and yes, I know, they just played to win as well.

Go Vikes next ye--...I can't even think yet about next year. Go KC Chiefs, I guess? I sort of like them. IN65

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Muqali
Practice Squad

Post by Muqali »

Mothman wrote: Instead, there are headlines like this:

Reusse: Walsh's feel-good story is putting lipstick on a goat

I wonder if he would say the same thing if the failure on offense wasn't so evenly distributed. Like if Peterson fumbled 6 times game would it still have been all Walsh's fault if it was the last play?
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

indianation65 wrote: Did Locke spin the other kicks earlier in the day when the temperature was 1, 2, 3 degrees colder
The simple answer to that question is no, he did not spin the ball on any of the other 3 attempts.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Purple Reign wrote: The simple answer to that question is no, he did not spin the ball on any of the other 3 attempts.
Announcers pointed it out earlier...before that final kick. And Kluwe mentioned on twitter sooner or later the laces being out will have an impact.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Demi wrote: Announcers pointed it out earlier...before that final kick. And Kluwe mentioned on twitter sooner or later the laces being out will have an impact.
Most experts agree though that the laces shouldn't have had that big of an impact on that short of a kick.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Purple Reign wrote: Most experts agree though that the laces shouldn't have had that big of an impact on that short of a kick.
Point of impact was what someone mentioned.
Or even the mental aspect of having the laces facing you on the approach?
I don't know, the announcers and a former punter both brought it up. Who was also a holder.

http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... =1&t=28488

Talked about the left hash there. S197 and I both brought up kicking from the left vs right hash. Are there numbers for Walsh based on what hash he kicks from? I'm sure Prieffer and the Vikings would take that into consideration.

Would have hurt a lot more if the team as a whole was better going into the game. And didn't have the teams coming up. Just didn't "hurt" like a couple previous years. And no way you could say it was a disappointing season, at least to me. Just a lot to look at, and look forward to. There was talk about Spielman and his rebuild, I think the real rebuild finally started when they hired Zimmer. Regardless of who the OC is, who's calling the offensive plays. This team should be competitive as long as he's here. And next season and the following, will be the real end result of the 3-4 year rebuild you always hear about.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Replacing Walsh and Loche would be a no brainier for me. Loche is a bad punter )not so good of a holder either) and I will never, ever trust Walsh. Ever. It is what it is. We move indoors, we dont have to have some big legs kicker. We need a clutch kicker that can play in a dome. Walsh never seemed that good outside when it mattered.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Replacing Walsh and Loche would be a no brainier for me. Loche is a bad punter )not so good of a holder either) and I will never, ever trust Walsh. Ever. It is what it is. We move indoors, we dont have to have some big legs kicker. We need a clutch kicker that can play in a dome. Walsh never seemed that good outside when it mattered.

I would be fine if we kept Walsh but I don't entirely disagree with this sentiment.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Can they continue to trust Walsh? :confused:
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

no way can we trust walsh. i refuse to even watch him kick anymore i switch stations. if i have to have one more season come down to a field goal kick that should be made and it isn't i don't know what i'll do. we are talking about a kicker who routinely misses extra points.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Demi wrote:Can they continue to trust Walsh? :confused:
I'm not sure they do. I saw Zimmer mouth the Mother F-bomb after Walsh's miss. Not sure if he's talking about the football (as the subject of the "pronoun" used) or Walsh, but if I were Walsh, I'd be nervous.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

I think part of the problem is there is no better options at kicker. I know people will call for Gould but he's not as good as he once was, and we still need someone to handle kickoffs. At least Blair Walsh has a strong leg. I may be missing someone who's decent and available, but I didn't see any free agents who would actually be an upgrade.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

beerfan wrote:I think part of the problem is there is no better options at kicker. I know people will call for Gould but he's not as good as he once was, and we still need someone to handle kickoffs. At least Blair Walsh has a strong leg. I may be missing someone who's decent and available, but I didn't see any free agents who would actually be an upgrade.
It's easy to understand why they're trying to be patient and coach him through this. Hopefully, they can get him back to reliably hitting almost anything under 50.