Vintage

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vintage

Post by saint33 »

I'm as pissed off as anyone at Blair Walsh after this game. That miss was awful.

However, for those who are acting like this has been a problem all year, it hasn't. Despite having the 2nd most attempts in the league, his percentage of kicks made is in the top half of the league, and he hasn't missed a game winner all season.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

saint33 wrote:I'm as pissed off as anyone at Blair Walsh after this game. That miss was awful.

However, for those who are acting like this has been a problem all year, it hasn't. Despite having the 2nd most attempts in the league, his percentage of kicks made is in the top half of the league, and he hasn't missed a game winner all season.
Agreed
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

tmscr wrote:I wish someone with time on their hands would research who has had the most difficult postseason/win and in losses. I simply cannot imagine there has been a worse team than the Vikings.
One of my former coworkers used to say that the Cubs are more cursed than the Vikings because of the whole 108 year WS drought... but to me, that is silly because in those 108 years, the Cubs have been awful more often than not, in fact I would guess that well over 50% of the seasons they finish under .500. Teh Vikings have had the same amount of or more of the failures and heartbreaks in less than half the time as a sports team. There is no comparison, IMO.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

If anyone cares...three things went wrong on the final kick: http://bit.ly/WalshMissedFG
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The reactions of fellow vikings fans after the miss.

http://dailysnark.com/compilation-hilar ... ssed-kick/
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

DanAS wrote:Only our Vikings figure out new and creative ways to lose in the playoffs.
I bet Cincinnati fans would disagree with that. :wink:
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

DanAS wrote: Same team. Different year. And as always, we remain the answer to the trivia question: What is the only team to have won the NFL Championship but not the World Championship? The purple team that leaves its fans blue, that's who!
Not sure how you figure the Vikings are the only team to win an NFL Championship but not a World (Super Bowl) Championship. There are plenty of teams that did this, such as the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles to name a few.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

720pete wrote:We has a season where we vastly exceed expectations.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Yep. No one expected this team to win the North -- that's for sure. And no one in the media (I mean no one) expected the Vikings to beat the Seahawks. The game today unfolded the only way it could for the Vikings to win -- and with the exception of a broken play that Wilson turned into a big play, and a muffed short field goal at the end, the Vikes would have won. That's saying something.

Great job coaching. Great game plan. And quite frankly a great job executing on both sides of the ball. And I saw the Vikings learn from their mistakes, make adjustments (especially on defense), and hang in there. That's something we haven't seen from Viking teams in quite a while. Save for a missed short field goal -- which for some reason Walsh has had a history of blowing since the preseason -- the Vikings did everything needed to beat a very, very good team. (Why Walsh can kick long field goals and miss extra points and chip shot field goals is a mystery to me).

Yeah, this one hurt. But Peterson's fumble did not end the game. It was a mistake (and players make them to be sure). But the game was in the Vikings grasp in spite of the turnover. Bridgewater managed to put the Vikings in a position to win at the end. Ok, Walsh choked. The Vikings could use a more consistent FG kicker. But I guarantee that the Seattle Seahawks have a whole lot more respect for the Minnesota Vikings after this one. They might be moving on in the playoffs -- with a decent chance to make their 3rd super bowl appearance in a row -- but they didn't do what it took to win this game. The game was handed to them while they were hanging on for dear life and gasping their last breath. They are very lucky indeed that they are not heading in mass to the golf course next week.

And I am very proud of my team this year. They played with heart and went well beyond my expectations this season. Hopeful they will remember how this one feels, and decide to do everything in their power to avoid the same feeling in the next postseason. That's the expectation for next year.

Skol Fellow Viking fans! Here's to an up and coming team. :beerock:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

This was an enjoyable season for me. They got everything they deserved. Worked hard. Fought like he'll on the field. This is a young team. I believe this experience will do wonders for next year. I love the direction this team is headed. I can't wait to see them play in the new stadium next year.

Ill tell you this, when they do win the whole frig@#n thing, it's going to be whole lot sweeter.

Vikings for life.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

dead_poet wrote:If anyone cares...three things went wrong on the final kick: http://bit.ly/WalshMissedFG
Makes you wonder about fate, doesn't it?
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

saint33 wrote:I'm as pissed off as anyone at Blair Walsh after this game. That miss was awful.

You have a point... But for some mysterious reason Walsh has had a propensity to miss extra points and short field goals this season. It started way back in the preseason. It's a mystery to me.
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Yeah, I'm kind of tired of the whole "we're jinxed" manifesto.

I've been a fan of this team since 1969, and I've seen plenty of absolutely fantastic moments. We've won 19 division titles and have been to four Super Bowls. I've seen incredible comebacks, such as the Tommy Kramer coming out party when the Vikes overcame a 27-point 4th quarter deficit, or the Miracle at the Met game from 1980, another Kramer classic. There have been SO MANY memorable victories, many in huge games.

It just hasn't happened in a few years.

The Seattle loss sucks. It just does. But it does not, by any stretch of the imagination, represent some kind of curse or jinx. This team has won big games before, and they will again. We have the right man at the helm in Mike Zimmer. This ship is headed in the right direction.
Hear! Here!
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Purple Reign wrote: Not sure how you figure the Vikings are the only team to win an NFL Championship but not a World (Super Bowl) Championship. There are plenty of teams that did this, such as the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles to name a few.
When we lost to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, we had already won the NFL Championship. Previous to the first Super Bowl, if you won the NFL Championship, that was considered the World Championship (as the NFL was considered the best league). The Colts might have lost the Jets in the Super Bowl, but the Colts have also been World Champions during other years. We haven't. Does that make sense?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:If anyone cares...three things went wrong on the final kick: http://bit.ly/WalshMissedFG
Thanks. That was very informative!