How long has it been?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

How long has it been?

Post by Purple bruise »

How long has it been since the Vikes had a really good coach :?: I would say that it goes clear back to Bud Grant. They have not had a SB appearance since the Grant regime IMO not a coincidence. Along those same lines when was the last time the Vikes had a franchise QB :?: I would not personally call Pep one because his tenure was short lived and even before his devastating knee injury he was playing quite poorly. So now comes along Zimmer, perhaps the best thing to have come along since Bud. Look at the results.
It is no wonder to me why this franchise has struggled for so long.
I believe that things are now turned around and the future looks bright. And hopefully they will develop TB into that long awaited QB.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: How long has it been?

Post by PacificNorseWest »

They've had a lot of really good assistant coaches.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:How long has it been since the Vikes had a really good coach :?: I would say that it goes clear back to Bud Grant. They have not had a SB appearance since the Grant regime IMO not a coincidence. Along those same lines when was the last time the Vikes had a franchise QB :?: I would not personally call Pep one because his tenure was short lived and even before his devastating knee injury he was playing quite poorly. So now comes along Zimmer, perhaps the best thing to have come along since Bud. Look at the results.
We've been "teased" by a few coaches over the years and it's early in Zimmer's tenure yet but hopefully, he'll turn out to be an even better coach than Grant. Hopefully, he'll be the best coach the Vikes have ever had and the first one to coach the team to a Super Bowl win.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: We've been "teased" by a few coaches over the years and it's early in Zimmer's tenure yet but hopefully, he'll turn out to be an even better coach than Grant. Hopefully, he'll be the best coach the Vikes have ever had and the first one to coach the team to a Super Bowl win.
Amen.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

before he got full of himself i'd say green was a good coach. he took this team post walker trade and made them a consistent winner.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

slapnut19 wrote:before he got full of himself i'd say green was a good coach. he took this team post walker trade and made them a consistent winner.
They developed a top heavy talented roster and had good OC/DC/OL coach, etc. but Green was middling.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

fiestavike wrote: They developed a top heavy talented roster and had good OC/DC/OL coach, etc. but Green was middling.
Agreed. Another thing was Green kind of started the "half of a team" Vikings. They had offense but no defense late in his tenure as HC.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: Agreed. Another thing was Green kind of started the "half of a team" Vikings. They had offense but no defense late in his tenure as HC.
For all his flaws, Denny is probably still the second-best coach the Vikes have had. He was never able to get them over the top but coaching an NFL team into the playoffs in 8 of 10 seasons is no small achievement. He frustrated the heck out of me but he was a good coach.

I loved his enthusiasm.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Mothman wrote:For all his flaws, Denny is probably still the second-best coach the Vikes have had. He was never able to get them over the top but coaching an NFL team into the playoffs in 8 of 10 seasons is no small achievement. He frustrated the heck out of me but he was a good coach.

I loved his enthusiasm.

Agree 100%.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

losperros wrote: Agreed. Another thing was Green kind of started the "half of a team" Vikings. They had offense but no defense late in his tenure as HC.

that offense was good enough to be one game from the super bowl twice. it's easy to dismiss green for how things ended, but he was a very good coach for most of his tenure.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Zimmer > grant > tice > green I would say.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

mondry wrote:Zimmer > grant > tice > green I would say.
There is no way Zim is at the top yet, and Tice above Green is also questionable. Tice won zero division titles. Green got the team to the NFCCG twice.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

DK Sweets wrote:There is no way Zim is at the top yet, and Tice above Green is also questionable. Tice won zero division titles. Green got the team to the NFCCG twice.
I really like what Zimmer has done, but I'm not anywhere close to giving him those kinds of accolades after less than two seasons.

I'd go Grant>Green>Burns>Zimmer>Tice and then the other guys who, by the end, I thought didn't belong as a head coach in the league. Burns was 9-7/8-4*/11-5/10-6 in his first four years (3-3 in the playoffs), before the Herschel Walker trade emptied the cupboard of players and draft choices. No criticism of Zimmer (he's my coach of the year this year). But let's remember that Childress got this team to the NFC Championship game, and I'm not putting him anywhere on a list of top coaches.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:There is no way Zim is at the top yet, and Tice above Green is also questionable. Tice won zero division titles. Green got the team to the NFCCG twice.
I've always been curious about what Tice could have done with more support. In any case, he is a was a GREAT O-Line coach. I'd trade Davidson and a 2nd for him right now, the day before the playoff game.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:For all his flaws, Denny is probably still the second-best coach the Vikes have had. He was never able to get them over the top but coaching an NFL team into the playoffs in 8 of 10 seasons is no small achievement. He frustrated the heck out of me but he was a good coach.

I loved his enthusiasm.
I respected Green's enthusiasm as well, especially when the Vikings drafted Randy Moss. That's one thing about Green. He loved the game of football and the competition. We have to give him that.

I also can't help but respect the fact Green put together the 1998 team, which is the best one the Vikings ever had (in my view). In fact, I think Green had something to do with changing offensive thinking throughout the league. Where I think Green blew it is by sacrificing the defense to maintain a good offense later in his career. That's the "half of a team" dynamic I was talking about. He also became frustratingly paranoid and would not acknowledge his buddy Richard Solomon's incompetence as a position coach.