PHP's "Way Too Early But I Love It" 2016 Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's "Way Too Early But I Love It" 2016 Mock Offseason

Post by mondry »

It's time to dump Kalil, which I HATE saying, I loved him as our pick and thought we had our Joe Thomas but from what I remember it's just bad luck with him, his knee's are essentially bone on bone grinding now and it'll always be a chronic cartilage problem with him. That seems to fit the bill because every year he starts out "okay" and then regresses badly and it's chalked up to "he's playing injured" but knowing what we know he's just ALWAYS going to be "injured" towards the middle and later parts of the season and his play is just not good enough in that state.

As bad as the LG and RT play has been you really can't have your QB getting blown up from the blind side (2 game losing strip sacks) and he's a liability if you always have to give him help.

I like Loadholt and Clemmings at RT, I like Harris and Fusco at RG, and I think we're "okay" with Berger (and hopefully sully) at C. Then it depends on if they think they can get any thing out of the young guys like Easton and Sheppard, maybe Yankey if he's finally strong enough to get a shot.

Assuming they don't have anything there, we need to sign one or the other out of LT/G in FA and probably spend a high draft pick on whatever wasn't addressed. I'd prefer to draft the LT cause he'd get a shot to learn the ropes until Kalil's knees give out again and then take over half way through the season.

If Easton isn't gonna make the squad then i'd draft a center as well in the 4th or 5th round, get ready to replace Sully / Berger cause that combo only has 1 to 3 years left probably.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Banquo wrote: Ok, well the idea is to find a veteran who can be a reliable backup to Kalil and step in if need be. Perhaps that's not Penn. I suggested him because I thought his age (33 in 2016) would limit his market. But perhaps no such free agent will actually exist, which would mean turning to the draft for a better backup or cutting/trading Kalil and investing big in a true replacement, a la Cordy Glenn.

Dark horse- Ryan Clady? If he's a cap casualty as many expect, would he sign on to compete somewhere and rebuild his market value?
Clady is an interesting idea. The Broncos will definitely have a lot to consider there. Sambrailo is supposed to be the next man up but he tore his labrum and may be a better fit on the right side next season. In the meantime Ryan Harris has been filling in but I don't think he's done well enough to be considered the long-term option there. Clady has been hit hard with injuries the last couple of years. He's probably not worth his $9.5 million 2016 contract but I think Denver is in the same place as we are with Loadholt: Clady is their best option. Would they cut him and give the reins to Sambrailo? I'm not so sure. He's a name to watch, though. I'd be pretty shocked if Kalil wasn't starting next season when all is said and done but who knows.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

dead_poet wrote: Clady is an interesting idea. The Broncos will definitely have a lot to consider there. Sambrailo is supposed to be the next man up but he tore his labrum and may be a better fit on the right side next season. In the meantime Ryan Harris has been filling in but I don't think he's done well enough to be considered the long-term option there. Clady has been hit hard with injuries the last couple of years. He's probably not worth his $9.5 million 2016 contract but I think Denver is in the same place as we are with Loadholt: Clady is their best option. Would they cut him and give the reins to Sambrailo? I'm not so sure. He's a name to watch, though. I'd be pretty shocked if Kalil wasn't starting next season when all is said and done but who knows.
It will be interesting to see unfold. Clady wasn't actually playing that well before getting hurt. I also see Kalil starting in 2016. I just think they need to find a better plan B should he continue to struggle and/or get hurt. That is, unless Clemmings just takes massive strides. But that's not very realistic.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

PHP is Mel Kiper III Image

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 S using Tapatalk
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

i just can't see paying 11 mil next year for more of what we have seen the past three years. he's not improving at all and he's always hurt. obviously it isn't enough to knock him out of games, but if he is continually nicked up to the point that he completely whiffs two or three times a game then it's time to move on. get what you can in a trade and look at other options. clady, joe thomas, russel okung, kelechi osemele, and cordy glenn could all be available in one way or another this offseason. you bolster that spot with a vet, draft a guard in the first two rds and the line will look better overnight.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Angels Wings wrote:PHP is Mel Kiper III Image

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 S using Tapatalk
:lol: I think I'm better with this stuff than he is.....which isn't saying much hahaha
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: Honestly, they could draft o-linemen in the first 3 rounds and I'd understand. I don't know that it's an advisable approach but it would be an understandable strategy.
I am with you. It's such a big need, esp. with AD. The D is good, and has nice depth. The Oline can only (improve, except for Kalil, Ive given up on him and would love to see what we could get). 3 O linemen wouldnt panout the first year, but can you imagine our 2nd year at our new home. We would replace GB as the dominant team in out division. If we havent already.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

K forget about o line for a minute. Lets talk bpa. Let's hypothetically say Jaylon Smith falls to us in rd 1. Do you take him and let him rehab till he is ready? Lb would be pretty solid with Barr, Kendricks, and Jaylon. That is if he can return to form. I know lb isn't a huge need but if he falls you may have to go bpa. Could Jaylon play safety? I think he is 4.5 speed area.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Bigwehrm wrote:K forget about o line for a minute. Lets talk bpa. Let's hypothetically say Jaylon Smith falls to us in rd 1. Do you take him and let him rehab till he is ready? Lb would be pretty solid with Barr, Kendricks, and Jaylon. That is if he can return to form. I know lb isn't a huge need but if he falls you may have to go bpa. Could Jaylon play safety? I think he is 4.5 speed area.

I think in this case one can reasonably make the argument that Sully and Load coming back will make a big difference in quality at OL. while we should still address it I think its a reasonable approach to take any surprising BPA's
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

IrishViking wrote:
I think in this case one can reasonably make the argument that Sully and Load coming back will make a big difference in quality at OL. while we should still address it I think its a reasonable approach to take any surprising BPA's
And as we know the Vikings scouting staff only has enough of a budget to scout at Notre Dame and UCLA. So Jaylon makes sense. Might as well get ND guard Nick Martin while we are at is also. Maybe add T Ronnie Stanley for good measure. Super Bowl homey. lol

But in all seriousness. What about Nick Martin in round 2 if he is still there when we pick?? Also where will Michigan State LT Jack Conklin be projected to go?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Banquo wrote:After lurking in this thread, I spent portions of last night's game focused on Mike Harris at RG. I was pretty impressed with him. He generated movement in the running game and handled Mike Daniels, who is a pretty stellar interior DL. I can't claim to have watched him closely before last night, but it was a positive performance in my book. At just barely 27 with this being his first season at RG, you'd think there would be room for growth there on a team that needs good, young OL.
With all the other positions of need on the offensive line, I would make Mike Harris the starting RG next year and focus on adding starters at LT, LG, C, and RT. He's probably been the best of the bunch. While we'd all like to "aim higher", you can't just plug in elite players at every position.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mondry wrote:
I'd resign harris and move Fusco back to RG, I think moving Fusco to LG is a proven mistake at this point.

I know this is conventional wisdom, but I'm not sure the RG to LG transition is the main issue here.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IrishViking wrote:
I'm not comfortable with counting on Kalil, Sullivan or Loadholt. I would move on from Kalil and Loadholt outright after this season, and pursue line help through FA, trades, draft, and development. Even when healthy neither one has ever been significantly above average. I'd also move on from Mike Wallace and Adrian Peterson to clear more cap space and build this thing for the longterm. Both players are somewhat poor fits on this team anyway. Brian Robison is another guy I'd think about moving on from. Greenway, Newman and other elder statesmen make great, cheaper, short term stopgaps.

For me, OL and WR are the top prospects. Development, late round picks, cheaper FAs...Zimmer's got the ability to weave a great defense out of pieces that might not be "premier". What we need is TIME for teddy to throw, lanes for the RBs to run though, and a WR who can high point and win jump balls.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

It seems to me that some fans get really excited about the prospect of transformation in the offseason, but that their "visions" go too far and simply aren't what would be best for the team.

What do we lose by retaining Sully, Load and even Kalil's services and allowing them to compete for a spot? Yes we need some new OL, via free agency and the draft, but we need to let our injured guys at least compete and possibly become backups, IMO.

Furthermore, why would we want to blow this team up? We just won the division! I don't think there's any way that we move on from AD. None. He is the center of our offensive identity still.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:It seems to me that some fans get really excited about the prospect of transformation in the offseason, but that their "visions" go too far and simply aren't what would be best for the team.

What do we lose by retaining Sully, Load and even Kalil's services and allowing them to compete for a spot? Yes we need some new OL, via free agency and the draft, but we need to let our injured guys at least compete and possibly become backups, IMO.
11 million + 5.4 million +5.4 million.
Texas Vike wrote:Furthermore, why would we want to blow this team up? We just won the division! I don't think there's any way that we move on from AD. None. He is the center of our offensive identity still.
I don't think moving on from AD and Mike Wallace would be anything like blowing the team up. Each one has a cap hit of around 12mil to boot.
Last edited by fiestavike on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins