Vikings not (quite) ready for Prime Time?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings not (quite) ready for Prime Time?

Post by cstelter »

In the past 6 years (2010-2015) during games that start early on Sunday, the Vikings are 32-30-1 (according to pro-football-reference.com)

Overall, during that same time period they are 39-51-1 (ref)

That makes them 7-21 in late/prime-time games. I find this discouraging and significant. 25% wins when not playing at noon on Sunday vs .516 when they do. Ugh.

Zimmer? Overall 15-12(ref), at noon? 13-7. That makes Zimmer 2-5 in late/prime-time games (28.5%) but 65% in early games.

Fraizer? overall 21-32-1 but at noon, 17-17-1 leaving him 4-15 (21%) in late/prime time and .500 at noon on Sunday.

Childress?? overall 39-35, but at noon, 28-19 leaving 11-16 (41%) in late/prime time and .595 at noon.

Tice?? overall 32-33, but at noon, 25-18 leaving 7-15 (31%) in late/prime and .581 at noon.

Closed Circuit to Zimmer-- you hate it when fans/media point out things the Vikings are bad at. Please prove this trend wrong. You have one prime time game next Thursday, that could bring you to 3-5. If one more game gets flexed, then by the end of the season you could be .444 in non-noon games-- better than any coach in the past 15 years. Do it!
Craig S
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings not (quite) ready for Prime Time?

Post by akvikingsfan »

I honestly can't remember the last time I wasn't concerned when the Vikings were playing a primetime game. They have struggled in primetime games for years (as was pointed out). I would love to see them buck this trend, but I won't believe it until it happens.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

IIRC the two nation wide games the Vikings played this year were against the Niners and the Packers. And we know how they turned out.

Must be a curse. :confused:
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

The one that still stands out the most to me was the week 16 overtime loss to the Bears on Monday Night Football in 2009.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Disappointing :(
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

It is disturbing to see their lack of success in national/prime time games. It would be interesting to see what the records were of the opponents faced in the earlier slot vs. those of the later slots. Theoretically, the later games are scheduled/flexed for more competitive or high interest teams which would result in playing higher level competition. The Vikes haven't been able to consistently beat good teams for quite a while so that could have something to do with it. However, they seem to have the tendency to lay eggs on the national stage at frustratingly high levels :(
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

**edit: sorry, I see MikeThePurple already beat me to it**

I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that prime time games are supposed to be (albeit, not always) good match ups, therefore creating a harder game? In other words, you don't normally get your powder puffs in prime time.

For instance, I wonder about a team that has a .750 record over the last 5 years, is their winning percentage also lower in prime time match ups because of the quality of opponent they are playing?

I haven't researched any statistics to back this up... just speculating.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Purple Domination wrote:**edit: sorry, I see MikeThePurple already beat me to it**

I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that prime time games are supposed to be (albeit, not always) good match ups, therefore creating a harder game? In other words, you don't normally get your powder puffs in prime time.

For instance, I wonder about a team that has a .750 record over the last 5 years, is their winning percentage also lower in prime time match ups because of the quality of opponent they are playing?

I haven't researched any statistics to back this up... just speculating.
Well, SF wouldn't be classified (I don't think, anyway) as a 'high-quality' opponent and we still played like 'hashtags.' :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I agree with your post, but I just want to remind everyone that the 1998 MNF game in GB is still one for the ages.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:I agree with your post, but I just want to remind everyone that the 1998 MNF game in GB is still one for the ages.
One I will never forget.......
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

mansquatch wrote:I agree with your post, but I just want to remind everyone that the 1998 MNF game in GB is still one for the ages.
The Randy Moss coming out party! It was a fun night!
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

i could be mistaken but i think the last prime time game we won was in 2010 on that funky tuesday night game vs philly. the qb that night: joe webb.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

slapnut19 wrote:i could be mistaken but i think the last prime time game we won was in 2010 on that funky tuesday night game vs philly. the qb that night: joe webb.
They beat the Redskins in on a Thursday night in 2013.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I think we can win at noon against the Seahawks. I think if we played them Sunday night, I'd have a paper bag on my head Monday morning. We stink even in the 3 and 4 o clock games, too. I don't understand it but this has been a long standing 15+ year problem.

Edit: every one of our losses was not a noon game.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Last big prime time win I remember was against the saints when Gus Ferrotte was the QB