Week 13 Predictions: Seahawks at Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Week 13 Predictions: Seahawks at Vikings

Post by DK Sweets »

At the beginning of the year, who here would have guessed going into this matchup that we would have the clear-cut better defense and a better record?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Week 13 Predictions: Seahawks at Vikings

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:At the beginning of the year, who here would have guessed going into this matchup that we would have the clear-cut better defense and a better record?

Well, the Seahawks defense allows fewer yards per game and the Vikes allow fewer points per game so a Seahawks fan might debate your point about the defenses. Personally, I'd rather allow fewer points. :)

I wouldn't have guessed the teams would be positioned as they are but this game still scares me a bit. I expect it to be one of the toughest the Vikes play this year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This one will come down to trench warfare again. Both teams' offensive lines are bad. A feather in the cap of Wilson, who is one of the league's best escape artists who can and does make plays on the move with his arm or his legs better than 95% of quarterbacks in this league. I fear he's the X-factor in this one because while Teddy has some wiggle to him, Wilson is incredibly dangerous and has the clear advantage.

I'm concerned that Everson Griffen hasn't looked like himself lately and he's popped up on the injury report. There's been a startlingly lack of consistent pressure by the front four as of late.

We badly need Harrison Smith back in the lineup.

The more I think about it, the more I believe this is another "mirror" game much like St. Louis (both bad offensive lines, good defensive lines, good secondaries, good rookie WR/playmaker). Only Seattle has a much better QB and the better rush defense. It does help that Seattle lost Jimmy Graham on Sunday (devastating career-threatening injury which suuuucks for him and I feel for him) and they won't be #BeastMode (though Rawls is a very capable replacement).

I don't have warm fuzzies about this one. Seattle will load the box to stop AD and will likely have success because they have the horses and scheme to get it done and our pass protection is abysmal and Teddy can't overcome that and hasn't progressed much. I see Teddy getting sacked often, tossing at least 1 pick and having an overall rough afternoon with under 250 yards passing and he'd be lucky to throw a TD pass. The Vikings need to continue to lean on AD in both the run and pass game and Diggs/Rudolph need to man up. Maybe get Wright involved in some YAC ways. I'd say CP, but that ship has sailed and I don't know if he'd have much success against this defense anyway. I see a low scoring game that may come down to which kicker can score the most points. The Vikings will need to be extremely disciplined (coverages and especially penalties). If they can win the turnover battle and avoid penalties (for God's sake), they have a chance. Especially if AD doesn't get stuffed at or behind the LOS every freaking play.

Oh, and we need to set expectations right now regarding the offensive playcalling. Norv cannot (and should not) call many (any?) five or seven-step drops to try and get 20+ passing plays in this one. The offensive line cannot hold up to permit that and it'll lead to more negative plays than positive.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:This one will come down to trench warfare again. Both teams' offensive lines are bad. A feather in the cap of Wilson, who is one of the league's best escape artists who can and does make plays on the move with his arm or his legs better than 95% of quarterbacks in this league. I fear he's the X-factor in this one because while Teddy has some wiggle to him, Wilson is incredibly dangerous and has the clear advantage.
I agree and he made some great throws yesterday so I imagine he'll be feeling petty confident.
The more I think about it, the more I believe this is another "mirror" game much like St. Louis (both bad offensive lines, good defensive lines, good secondaries, good rookie WR/playmaker). Only Seattle has a much better QB and the better rush defense. It does help that Seattle lost Jimmy Graham on Sunday (devastating career-threatening injury which suuuucks for him and I feel for him) and they won't be #BeastMode (though Rawls is a very capable replacement).

I don't have warm fuzzies about this one. Seattle will load the box to stop AD and will likely have success because they have the horses and scheme to get it done and our pass protection is abysmal and Teddy can't overcome that and hasn't progressed much. I see Teddy getting sacked often, tossing at least 1 pick and having an overall rough afternoon with under 250 yards passing and he'd be lucky to throw a TD pass. The Vikings need to continue to lean on AD in both the run and pass game and Diggs/Rudolph need to man up. Maybe get Wright involved in some YAC ways. I'd say CP, but that ship has sailed and I don't know if he'd have much success against this defense anyway. I see a low scoring game that may come down to which kicker can score the most points. The Vikings will need to be extremely disciplined (coverages and especially penalties). If they can win the turnover battle and avoid penalties (for God's sake), they have a chance. Especially if AD doesn't get stuffed at or behind the LOS every freaking play.
Well said. I'm seeing the game pretty much the same way.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think Atlanta is better than Seattle this season.. If we were playing on the road I would be far more worried.

If we play the the way we have for the last month or so.. its a Win..(minus GB game)

24-17 Vikings
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Don't let the Seahawks record fool you. They are a better team than their record indicates. 4 of their losses came at the hands of the Panthers, Cardinals, Bengals and Packers. Pittsburgh is the only team with a winning record they have beat. So, they are much like the Vikings. Beat the lesser teams and lose to the good ones. So it will be a challenge to beat them.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Its' gonna be yet another game where in the end, we are either going to be gleeful in our amazement of how AP can demolish a defense designed to focus soley on stopping him OR AP will be limited by a tough running defense and porous OL and Teddy is exposed as not being the guy who can carry a whole offense with questionable WRs and no Ol......it all comes down to AP with the 2015 Vikings.

unless, our Defense comes in angry and knocks the snot out of Wilson.....it COULD happen........ :govikes:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Much as I would love to see Teddy cut it loose and explode for a huge game just to shut up Vikings fans, its not likely to happen in this match up. I give the edge to Seattle because of their passing game and the mobility of their QB, which really seems to slow down our pass rush. If the vikings can run like they did against ATL, I think they'll have a real chance, if not this is a Loss.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I guess I'm not as intimidated by Seattle as most people are. Their defense has given up 4th quarter leads like it was the inter ion, their offense has been hampered, and in general they don't seem like the hungry team we've seen for the past few years. I'm not saying that this is an easy game (outside of San Diego, have we had one of those yet?) but I feel confident that we pull it through at home.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Have only watched Seattle once this year ... I really can't stand them, so I've avoided watching.

Only thing I can say is that it's shaping up to be a low-scoring game. Neither team is an offensive juggernaut, although both teams run the ball well. When it shapes up as a defensive battle, I look at things like the weather. As of now, that doesn't appear to be a huge factor -- forecast is for 36 degrees, low wind and no precipitation -- but we all know how that can go.

After that, I look at special teams. We're good in most areas, especially coverage, but so is Seattle. It could very well come down to field goals, and with Blair's inconsistency, that worries me.

Russell Wilson seems to be a huge X-factor. He's so dangerous outside the pocket. One thing helping us, however, is our overall team speed on defense, which is better than it's been in many years. Hopefully we can contain him somewhat. I think the key is to not let him make downfield completions when he breaks the pocket. He's so good at that, but our DBs are excellent. If we can hold him to under 200 yards passing, we can win this game.

Beyond that, I have no prediction to make.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Seattle will have a let down after a big time road win last week in Pittsburg. Zimmers rush plan will limit Wilson somewhat. I think we will win this one.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

dead_poet wrote: The more I think about it, the more I believe this is another "mirror" game much like St. Louis (both bad offensive lines, good defensive lines, good secondaries, good rookie WR/playmaker). Only Seattle has a much better QB and the better rush defense. It does help that Seattle lost Jimmy Graham on Sunday (devastating career-threatening injury which suuuucks for him and I feel for him) and they won't be #BeastMode (though Rawls is a very capable replacement).
Well. I'm with you to a point. In fact I'm with you for most of this however 2 things. The PEDhawks with Cheat Carrol are dangerous and have the experience being super bowl contenders, we don't have that. As well as Thursdays scare me.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote: Well. I'm with you to a point. In fact I'm with you for most of this however 2 things. The PEDhawks with Cheat Carrol are dangerous and have the experience being super bowl contenders, we don't have that. As well as Thursdays scare me.
Not a Thursday game. The Cardinals game is the Thursday game.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Steven Hauschka and Blair Walsh: fantasy pickups of the week.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Common Opponents:

Packers-10 point loss
Rams-3 point loss
49ers-two wins at 20-3 and 29-13
Bears-26-0 demolition
Lions-13-10 win

6-5 team, biggest win the Steelers win by far. They lost to the cream of the league though 3 times. Bengals, Panthers and Cardinals losses are nothing to be ashamed of.

This is going to be very, very close.