Irvin just confirmed he was Patterson's mystery coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Irvin just confirmed he was Patterson's mystery coach

Post by YikesVikes »

In the offseason Patterson was referred to an elite WR but refused and did his own trainings. Zimmer, for what ever reason, refused to say who the WR was. Irvin just let the beans out on TV this morning.

Should Patterson have taken Zimmer, Norv and Irvin up on the offer?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Irving just confirmed he was Patterson's mystery coach

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Irving or Irvin?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Irving or Irvin?
I fixed it.

YikesVikes, I don't know if Patterson should have taken them up on the offer because I don't know exactly what was being offered. Did Irvin specify that they would have been training together?

It seems like a missed opportunity but Zimmer seemed okay with Patterson's decision.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: I fixed it.

YikesVikes, I don't know if Patterson should have taken them up on the offer because I don't know exactly what was being offered. Did Irvin specify that they would have been training together?

It seems like a missed opportunity but Zimmer seemed okay with Patterson's decision.
Zimmer set it up. Why would he set something up that wasnt beneficial to CP? It was a missed opportunity as he hasnt seen the field more then a handful of times since. What a waste.
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Irvin just confirmed he was Patterson's mystery coach

Post by jackal »

Seeing that he has been benched and has the speed,size and ability to be a Julio Jones receiver....
hello Captain Obvious ... yeah I will have a beer with you, since your in this thread, already :ripple:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Mothman wrote: I fixed it.

He was talking about running the middle of the field type routes. I believe it would have been training. It also explains why Patterson has fallen out of favor. I think the coaches are bothered by the fact that he didn't pick them up on the offer. I think it was pretty foolish for him not to. Whether it worked out not, your coaches are lukewarm on you as it is. Why give them a reason to blame you for the lack of your production?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

YikesVikes wrote:He was talking about running the middle of the field type routes. I believe it would have been training. It also explains why Patterson has fallen out of favor. I think the coaches are bothered by the fact that he didn't pick them up on the offer.
Perhaps... Zimmer sounded okay with it in the spring. :confused:
I think it was pretty foolish for him not to. Whether it worked out not, your coaches are lukewarm on you as it is. Why give them a reason to blame you for the lack of your production?
I don't know but ultimately, it's their job to coach him up. Irvin's guidance could have been beneficial but it sure shouldn't be necessary.

At this point, his lack of production is due to not getting opportunities to produce. Maybe he hasn't earned those opportunities. That's possible and if so, that's on him but he can't produce without the ball and they've made almost no effort to get the ball to him this season.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

has it been confirmed that patterson did or didn't meet with irvin? i've seen nothing that said he didn't meet with him
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

slapnut19 wrote:has it been confirmed that patterson did or didn't meet with irvin? i've seen nothing that said he didn't meet with him
IIRC, he met with him during Super Bowl week and then elected to work out with "Hell's trainer" (or whatever he's called) rather than working with Irvin. Maybe the window of opportunity meant he had to choose between one or the other. I don't know.

I think the whole thing has been overblown.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I don't know but ultimately, it's their job to coach him up.
I disagree with that. Its the sort of attitude we've taken to teachers which has created a total lack of accountability among students. Its on Patterson if he wants to be great, good, benched, or cut. His call. Once he makes that decision, its up to the coaches to maximize what he's willing to give them.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

Mothman wrote: IIRC, he met with him during Super Bowl week and then elected to work out with "Hell's trainer" (or whatever he's called) rather than working with Irvin. Maybe the window of opportunity meant he had to choose between one or the other. I don't know.

I think the whole thing has been overblown.

same here. great player doesn't equal great coach.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: I disagree with that. Its the sort of attitude we've taken to teachers which has created a total lack of accountability among students. Its on Patterson if he wants to be great, good, benched, or cut. His call. Once he makes that decision, its up to the coaches to maximize what he's willing to give them.
In other words, to "coach him up". :)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: In other words, to "coach him up". :)
:lol: ok fair enough, I guess i misunderstood your point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: :lol: ok fair enough, I guess i misunderstood your point.
You did but no harm done. :)

Believe me, I'm not one of those fans who believes coaches should be able to make players good.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think CP should get a shot. I think Wallace's ineffectivenes is complicated at best...but the fact reamains they are getting little outta him. (although, as Jim pointed out, the 2 PI calls today were big)
Problem is for me, that if they do replace Wallace with CP, they'll insist on CP running those routes instead of ailoring some for his gifts. At least that's my concern.
Also for 5 weeks Diggs didn't even suit up and he is clearly, IMO the best deeper route runner on this team as well as a guy who will go after the ball.
The fact that CJ and CP get little burn is puzzling to me....